Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Folks Reloads

Boolit Master

Maybe, just maybe, your friend got her hands on, or was given ( absentmindedly by her father), the junk or mistake pile of reloads. I used to accrue a number of mistakes made while reloading and dismantle them afterwards. Now, I dismantle immediately, but, at one time, I would wait till a pile of mistakes was worth the time to take apart. Especially when using my progressive press.

Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, your friend got her hands on, or was given ( absentmindedly by her father), the junk or mistake pile of reloads. I used to accrue a number of mistakes made while reloading and dismantle them afterwards. Now, I dismantle immediately, but, at one time, I would wait till a pile of mistakes was worth the time to take apart. Especially when using my progressive press.
    That is a really good point. I have a coffee can (a very LARGE one) or two that is full of reloads for one reason or another I intend to break down into components. The cans are marked, and there is a 3x5 card inside the cans saying FOR COMPONENTS ONLY so no one would mistake them.....even if I am assuming room temperature....
    OK for me but if I am not here any longer, hopefully they will find the cards and behave properly.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

I get the OP was using this as a reminder to all of us to pay attention as a mistake can happen to any one of us.

I do not shoot others reloads and weigh all rifle loads and visually inspect the powder level on all handgun rounds loaded on the Lee turret press.
    I have had more problems with factory loads than my reloads so even shy away from them.

Boolit Master

Exactly. I just felt a need to give a safety reminder. We all have our opinions and reasons whether or not to load for another person and this is not what I was trying to stir up. I don't want to read any threads about a member with the new nickname "Lefty" or sharing the story of how they "should have been more careful". Have fun, but pay attention and never take anything for granted.

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds to me (remember, I'm a Psychologist) that her dad may have had dementia and still tried to reload. Many older folks with dementia don't realize it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

The most frightening thing I have heard on a gun range is
    "this load is 5 grains over the maximum in the first Hornady manual..."
    That was for a 338 win mag with a 250 grain bullet in a Savage 110...
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    The most frightening thing I have heard on a gun range is
    "this load is 5 grains over the maximum in the first Hornady manual..."
    That was for a 338 win mag with a 250 grain bullet in a Savage 110...
    One of the guys that come up to our hunting camp, asked me last year to load some 300 WM for his rifle. He says "I want the 168gr ballistic tip, and load 'em 2gr over whatever the max is in the book"

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

That does kinda sound like the reject pile of ammo. Sorry I missed this point if it's already made but is there a plan for you and the woman to talk to the father about what happened?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

She and I already spoke about that this morning. She is fairly certain it would break his heart if she told him, so if he loads more, she will take it with a thank you, bring it home, and break it down for components. She will be rolling her own soon anyway.

In Remembrance

Smile

Right now, if it wasn't for my reloading, neither of my daughters would be able to afford to shoot given the price of range time and factory ammo around here.

There are plenty of people whose reloads I have zero problem shooting. One is a retired Marine who was the tunnel rat in Carlos Hathcock's platoon and has a great number of Carlos' reloading charges, weights and formulas--in both long gun and .45ACP. The ones I've shot that Mike has loaded have been superb.

My dad began teaching me reloading when I was ten years old. I'll shoot anything he has loaded or will load. Our unit armorer. . . all we shot out of our .308s were his reloads. Our armorer in the USMS, I'll shoot anything he loads.

I've got a number of friends whose reloads I'll shoot and try out in any of my guns without hesitation.

I'd shoot anything that Larry Gibson or Lamar (Runfiverun) or Gear or Brad or his dad or Michael (Ranch Dog) or a number of other members I've known for a long time took off their press.

Difference is, the people I'm speaking of are handloaders and not mere manufacturers. My fellow handloaders know exactly what I speak of.

I'm also flattered that the armorers, my dad, my retired Marine friend and others without hesitation shoot my reloads because they have the same regard and respect for me and my loading methods and attitude that I do theirs.

Those who sit at a bench chugging beer and pulling the handle on their progressive as fast as they can. . . I don't even want to be in the same county as them when they're shooting.

There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatwhiskers View Post
    Just re-enforces one of my inviolate rules: I never, for any reason whatsoever, shoot someone else's handloads. GW
    I had this same philosophy ...until I found a little old lady selling her brothers reloading stash. After researching him (posthumously) I discovered he was retired military machinist and had his own machine shop next to his house. From the looks of it he was also reloading for the public, or at least a handful if friends there was about 1000 rounds of various calibers if ammo with all the supplies and equipment to start from nothing. His hand loads look like custom factory ammo all new cases all I'm boxes. He was first class I would have no problem shooting anything he made, I just wish I could have met him before he passed to the other side!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Difference is, the people I'm speaking of are handloaders and not mere manufacturers. My fellow handloaders know exactly what I speak of.

There is a difference.
    Yep, huge difference! I always refer to it as handloaders and reloaders.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Only thing I've ever shot from someone is is 12 gauge handloads, my pistol and rifle I just do myself
    -Rob-

Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    She and I already spoke about that this morning. She is fairly certain it would break his heart if she told him, so if he loads more, she will take it with a thank you, bring it home, and break it down for components. She will be rolling her own soon anyway.
    It just seems to me that knowing her dad is loading ammo in such a way that it might of hurt his daughter or maybe himself, if not now maybe later, it would be a good idea to try. I would see if the two would go out for coffee or something and just start talking guns and loading and if he starts asking questions about his process you might be able to give some well deserved help.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Banned
    Never ever shoot anyone elses reloads - ever!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Never ever shoot anyone elses reloads - ever!!!!!
    That's just plain silly. There are several people that I know well enough I wouldn't give a second thought for shooting their hand loads and have numerous times.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot other peoples reloads. People I know and trust.

if I refused to shoot reloads offered to me by 1shirt his daughter, my wife, would kill me. He did, after all, teach me to reload 30 years ago.

I won't eat food prepared by just anyone but when I see a good cook I chow down.

Common sense goes a long way, if you have any.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    That's just plain silly. There are several people that I know well enough I wouldn't give a second thought for shooting their hand loads and have numerous times.

Rick
    Ya, well I've been loading for 50yrs & have had "Knowledgeable friends" make loads and screw up! I don't care who you are, if I didn't load it I don't KNOW it's done right! Who you going to blame if you blow up a gun & loose your sight etc. with your "friends" reloads? Oh, I guess that's just silly eh?

Boolit Master

Pmer that's a good idea if I can arrange it. He lives two states away and time constraints may keep that from happening for awhile but I would like to make sure he takes a good look at his process, for his own safety if nothing else. She is convinced she will never shoot his ammo in the future so that at the least is resolved.

Boolit Master
    Handgun ammo.............. If one has to ever use it for self defense, it had better be factory ammo. If not,one is stepping into a major law suit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast