Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New caster starter kit

Some people may be shy or not want to say I need help (mentor). HELP lol
    What if the people that could and would mentor where placed on a mentor list with their name, state and town. that way if someone was shy to ask for help openly they could look at the list and PM a mentor. And a looking for a mentor list for the people that are ok with asking for help openly.
    One other forums I'm on people put their state in the where are you thread and then the mods put the name and place up top or in a sticky.
    Bobby

Don't let this die please we need it
    Bobby

Boolit Mold
    One item for safety should be a good fan to draw the fumes from the hot lead away, and then if possible another larger fan to help remove it from you workshop or wherever you are working. Also never NEVER reused spoons, pots or anything else from your wife's cooking ware. Not safe to reuse, and also loss of valuable husband points This also apply for power coating and the use of your kitchen oven.

Love Life
    I learned how to cast and reload from manuals.

Boolit Master

Sometimes a picture or video is worth more than a thousand words.
    I have some casting DVDs available for loan in Helping Hands.

Here is a link to the original thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ary&highlight=

There are ten sets making the rounds. If you get to view one of the sets, quote the original link on how they get passed around. I am no longer involved in choosing who gets them next. See the original thread for the rules on how to pass them on down the line.

Learning hands on with an instructor and coach is much better even than a video.
    Let's try to find instructors and coaches for everyone that desires one. Let's not let this right and hobby go the way of lapidary. Many years ago the lapidary hobbyists thought they had a money train all reserved for themselves. They wouldn't teach anyone how to do lapidary. Now the practitioners are eighty years old or more and there is no young blood. Their hobby is dying off with them.
    This right needs to live on forever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I learned how to cast and reload from manuals.

Gee......I learned to shoot..............aiming at manuals!!!!!!!!HA........ha!

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Now how do we implement it?

Well for starters everybody needs to edit their profiles and list their location (hint hint!) so we know where they are located. A blank left side with an avatar does not help. Not a street address and town, but at least state or general location. Then the details can be handled by PM's as needed.

bangerjim
    "I say where I am"!

Love Life
    In my not so expert opinion, if a person can't start reloading or casting safely after reading the appropriate manuals then they probably shouldn't be reloading or casting.

I just read through one of my manuals and it had a large section on casting with a materials and equipment list.

In Remembrance
    In my not so expert opinion, if a person can't start reloading or casting safely after reading the appropriate manuals then they probably shouldn't be reloading or casting.

I just read through one of my manuals and it had a large section on casting with a materials and equipment list.
    This is pretty much my thinking, Bbut I have been told that you jest ain't right, more than once. lol

My thinking when starting with the thread was that the equipment was tough to decide on. I ended up getting a Lyman Big Dipper set, and it has worked fairly well, but I think I could have done some things differently. I thought maybe posting about it would draw opinions on the best setup someone could start out with while spending as little as possible for a well working setup. I may edit the original post later with that "grocery list" so that people starting out will see it more easily. I know opinions differ, but I do believe that a bunch of knowledgeable casters could come up with a better kit than a company who makes a kit from their products only. I have no desire to make a "one stop shop" casting thread.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Grand Master

Some need the confidence of a mentor to get started alot of questions dont get asked or answered in forums or even pms. Some need the watching and doing to learn. Maybe like the early trades teaching we could call this the Apprenticeship program. As most machinists electricians tool makers die makers and skilled trades started as apprentices. I believe this is a great Idea for new people to the sport. Also would give some a basic idea of what its all about and helping new comers.

Boolit Master

Would it work to make a "stickey" in a place on cast boolits where almost everyone goes. I assume that could be Our Town. This stickey would have a running list of those members that requests they be contacted via PM by someone who would be willing to help mentor them in the casting process or even the reloading process in general as their need might be. The list would include the location of the requester. It might be that the "elmer" doing the teaching would rather travel to their location with the necessary equipment for that particular session. After the initial session they could mutually decide if further instruction is required and determine the appropriate location for the next session. In order for this to work those experienced in casting and willing to serve in this way would have to make it a point to check the list frequently for someone in their location.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I think this local mentor thing is a great idea, bump to the top.

I think a list of mentors and their approximate location would be easier than the experienced guys having to check the list on a regular basis, at least let the new guys have the initiative to ask for help.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Wouldn't a list with both be good
    Florida
    Mentor. Help needed

John Miami Dade casting/ reloading. Bobby. Broward casting, reloading
    Jeff broward. Casting. Jen palm beach. Gun triggers
    Keith. Tampa reloading/ gun work. Tony Leesburg Reloading

Indiana
    New York

Add states as people put in there info
    Just my thoughts
    Bobby

Boolit Mold
    I just joined the forum. I have learned a lot reading this thread.. Thanks..
    Last edited by rem222; 09-11-2014 at 11:17 PM.

if a person can't start reloading or casting safely after reading the appropriate manuals then they probably shouldn't be reloading or casting.
    Well said Sir!!!!
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Good idea. Start with three kinds of budgets: low, mid-range and high budgets.
    Not everyone runs out and buys a Star sizer right away. Many start small and work up from there.
    Great idea though.
    This low, mid, high idea is great, but let's improve it.

Rather than sort on "budget," let's sort on production which will follow budget fairly well and then we can further subdivide by "low cost," "low frills," "use existing," "buy used bargains when available while making do!" etc.

So let's start with Cast for one caliber muzzle loader while following:
    "low cost," "low frills," "use existing," "buy used bargains when available while making do!".
    1. use existing camp stove (Green Coleman white gas stove or small propane single burner stove (Can buy small or larger dipper or bottom pour later with little to no wasted funds)
    Buy:
    small steel flat bottom pot
    single cavity round ball mould
    covered ladle

Then "Add one caliber"
    Buy:
    single cavity round ball mould

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12