Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New caster starter kit

New caster starter kit

I would like to make a list of "minimum safe starting equipment" for new casters. I think it would really help new guys who don't know what to buy. The goal would be minimum cost to have a decent, reliable setup. My input to this would be a Lee 2 cav mold, appropriate size die, Hornady dial caliper (because that is what I have, any input to something better would be appreciated), Lee pro 4-20, cheap elbow length welding gloves (don't like long sleeve shirts), tin foil turkey roasting pans for putting the pot in and dropping boolits into, cheap towel to drop booits on, thermometer (don't know what brand, mine is lyman). I'm sure I am forgetting a few things.
    The point here is a starter kit that can be expanded. I would be happy to add a "grocery list" to this first post as things are added/changed for easy reference. Anybody else here think that would be a good idea?
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master

Silverado,

I really like the goal of your idea, but I feel there is another way that is better.
    I would like to propose a much better method.
    All casters have different budgets and different ideas on what production level would please them.
    I suggest a mentoring program where we meet a new member and teach them how to cast on our equipment.
    I have been mentoring Cag40Navy. He has learned how to dipper cast and how to cast with a bottom pour pot and many types of moulds. He has a few lessons on loading cast boolits and soon we will cover various ways to size and lube boolits.

My main contention is a new caster should learn what equipment will meet his needs for quality and quantity while staying within his budget so he only has to buy one set of equipment. He can't do that with just a shopping list. He needs at least some hands on practice.

Banned

I agree with Brassmagnet it would have been a great help if i had a mentor when i started.

Andy

Good idea. Start with three kinds of budgets: low, mid-range and high budgets.
    Not everyone runs out and buys a Star sizer right away. Many start small and work up from there.
    Great idea though.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Anyone willing to do the research, will quite capably exact a list of materials on their own when starting out.
    I say this from personal experience, as I've done so with many endeavors.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Love Life
    Master kit:
    Lead
    Something to melt lead
    Something to get lead out of melted lead pot and into the mould, or use a bottom pour pot.
    Mould
    Lee sizing die or other appropriate dies
    Mule snot or other lube
    Lubesizer (if not using mule snot or pan lubing)
    Gloves
    Something to dump bullets from the hot mould into.
    Shazam.

Boolit Buddy

I'd like to add eye protection to the list.

Boolit Master

One of the little Lee 4 lb dipper pots works just fine with 1 and 2 cavity moulds. I know this from experience because that is what my mentor used to teach me when I was a young man. Thanks Dad!

However, one inexpensive yet oh so nice item to add to the basic list is a $10 hot plate. Preheating your mould is the quickest way to learn what good cast boolits look like. You can dip the mould in the dipper pot, but this way is much easier and doesn't cool the melt in such a small pot.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

With whatever you come up with for a list, the safety instructions go regardless of which set of equipment list you put them with. No flip flops, watch out for water, eye protection, smelting fumes, fluxing, etc. Too many people get hurt because they don't know even the basic safety rules......like what causes the tinsel fairy visit.....
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Yeah it ain't rocket science. iIthunk that shouls of been in purple.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Master kit:
    Lead
    Something to melt lead
    Something to get lead out of melted lead pot and into the mould, or use a bottom pour pot.
    Mould
    Lee sizing die or other appropriate dies
    Mule snot or other lube
    Lubesizer (if not using mule snot or pan lubing)
    Gloves
    Something to dump bullets from the hot mould into.
    Shazam.
    I like the way you think!

I would rather they see some options.
    I would rather they see different production levels with different equipment.
    I would rather they learn how to care for the equipment.
    Then I would like to see them add specific model numbers or brand names to the items in Love Life's list and prioritize that list with estimated prices so they recognize a real deal when they see it and know when to modify that priority.

Boolit Master

Now how are we going to set this up in Helping Hands?

Boolit Master

Ron, I'm not sure how it would work. The shipping cost for some of the smaller items would equal or exceed their value. I would be willing to help if a reasonable proposal was brought forth. I will donate a sfr of WW ingots mailed to the lucky winner if you or someone else figures something out. Should be fun!

Edit - I think you might have to make your font bigger so's people can see it. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Ron, I'm not sure how it would work. The shipping cost for some of the smaller items would equal or exceed their value. I would be willing to help if a reasonable proposal was brought forth. I will donate a sfr of WW ingots mailed to the lucky winner if you or someone else figures something out. Should be fun!

Edit - I think you might have to make your font bigger so's people can see it. LOL
    I'm not talking ship anything. I'm talking a thread in Helping Hands where new casters request a mentor and state where they are and then we try to find a local mentor to teach them how to and how to do it safely.

How about live video chat we could see you and ask questions. Would need to limit the number of people. To many questions nothing would get done. Could auction off to five people and money goes to CB or for $5 donation to CB you could watch and ask questions
    Bobby

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby65 View Post
    How about live video chat we could see you and ask questions. Would need to limit the number of people. To many questions nothing would get done. Could auction off to five people and money goes to CB or for $5 donation to CB you could watch and ask questions
    Tons of vids on YouTube...........some good........some a load of carp.

Anybody with a iPhone or similar can easily use FaceTime with someone on the other end. We do it all the time in our company. Excellent teaching tool everybody has.

Any beginner should start reading......reading.....reading. Then watch some vids. Having a (slight) working knowledge of what is going on really helps in the vids. And helps weed out the garbage which there is a lot of!

As far a lists of equipment.......that is hard. As said, you need at least 3 monetary levels. Generic listings are probably what is needed.

But the concept is a good idea!

banger

You are talking helping hand Like
    I am new to reloading and casting in south east Florida. Is there anyone in the local area with experience that would like to mentor me and at the same time have some free labor to help you reload.
    Bobby

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobby65 View Post
    You are talking helping hand Like
    I am new to reloading and casting in south east Florida. Is there anyone in the local area with experience that would like to mentor me and at the same time have some free labor to help you reload.
    This is the kind of thing I want to set up a thread in Helping Hands for.

A thread where you can say "I need help getting started. I live in City, State" and someone else can respond with "I live x miles away. Want to learn here?"

Boolit Master

Well now I understand and for what it's worth, I think it is a good idea.

Boolit Master

Now how do we implement it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast