Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gascheck bullets in .327 Federal

Boolit Buddy

Gascheck bullets in .327 Federal

I am considering purchasing a gascheck mold for use with the .327 Federal, probably in the 115 to 135 grain range. I am currently looking at molds from Accurate and NOE but haven't made a decision. If anyone has experience with molds in that weight range from either of those manufacturers I would appreciate your input into my decision. The boolits will be used in Ruger GP100, SP101 revolver, and a Single Seven when they finally ship this fall. I also have a Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R and would any appreciate comments regarding use of the heavier bullets in that cartridge. Yes, I know it does not make much sense to use a heavy booolit in the .32 H&R but I am curious.

Should I use standard .30 caliber gaschecks or something else? Is there someone on this site that makes gaschecks cheaper than Hornady? I don't have the time or inclination to make my own gaschecks, at least initially.

Thanks in advance.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master

Only one comment.

You don't need the gas check.

I use the 311008 in my Ruger and it is exceptionally accurate with full loads.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I use both gas check boolits and non gas check. I started with gas check designs and now go naked .

Boolit Grand Master
    NOE makes a 311-316 clone which worked well in limited testing from a 4 5/8 Blackhawk. Mine run about 118 grains as cast from range lead.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't like to bother with gas checks since most of my hottest loads in even 327 Fed Mag hold up well with PB bullets cast hard. If I were to explore a GC load, I'd probably start with the old standard 311316 from Ideal or its later version from NOE. It's been around for a long time and seems to work very well. (besides, it's pretty much like a gas checked version of the 3118, which is my go-to bullet for all 32 revolvers.) JMHO, of course, and YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I don't shoot a lot of ammo. What I make up, I build it to the nuts. Best boolit design, best alloy, best lube, best powder and primer (no squib loads neither) combination, most accurate charge, and yes, gas checks. Costs more, but you might get what you pay for (if you do it right). Then go kickum sum ****.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I have a BH in 327 and only shoot PB in it and no problems .I also shoot some 106gr from the mold I got on the group buy on here and no problems.It is all PB I use in it.Just match up your alloy to what you are shooting and you are good to go.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    If you want to try a couple gas check designs we have two or three for the 32 caliber. We have I think two in the RF design at about 100 and 120gn and we have a Keith type (SWC) at about 100gn.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are making the assumption that you must have gas checks on your bullets for them to be their best. This would have come as a big surprise to the likes of Elmer and Skeeter, neither of whom seems to have had much use for diapers on their bullets. Not looking for an argument here, but I am not sure what you are saying is settled scientific information. But, if they make you happy, by all means go ahead and use them!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Skeeter Skelton wrote many times of his disappointment in the poor manners of his cast lead slugs in his new S&W 357 magnum. Horrible leading, it was. He was saved by the Ray Thompson design, Lyman 358156, which wore a copper gas check. For the rest of his life, he touted that slug, loaded long in 38 Special cases as his favorite hand loaded revolver round.