Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To shoot or not to shoot this new 1911

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    To answer your question, think back to the reason you bought it in the first place.

Did you buy it because you fell in love with the looks, and wanted to have one?
    Or, did you fall in love with the idea of being armed with such an artistic pistol?

If you bought it to look at ... look at it.
    If you bought it to use ... use it.
    If you can't make up your mind ... get rid of it.

CM
    Really, this advice cant be topped. MC nailed it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Well, to me it isn't a gun if you can't shoot it.
    So if it is a collector piece, then OK
    But if it is a gun, shoot it.

Why did you buy it? Collector, special reason, memories, or as a gun?

Your item, your call,
    Good Winds, good sailing

Can you tell I went fishing today and SCORED!!

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    No...Don't shoot it. There's only 99 others like it. If you're married to this, find a mistress....You'll be happy on all counts....

I betcha that gun can't hit keep 1/2 the shots in a 4 inch circle offhand at 25 yards.... prove me wrong
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master

My father in law has a saw blade hanging in his house, with a beautiful mural painted on it. I should ask him when he plans on taking it down and trying it out in his saw. It is a saw blade after all.

I betcha that saw blade wont make it the first 2 inches of soft pine before it dulls
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    My father in law has a saw blade hanging in his house, with a beautiful mural painted on it. I should ask him when he plans on taking it down and trying it out in his saw. It is a saw blade after all.
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I don't buy Commemorative guns but I do have a number of engraved ones and I fire them all quite a bit and hunt with them also. A Commemorative is different though assuming it escalates in price....some do and some don't.

Boolit Master

That's a collectors gun I wouldn't buy it because I'm dumb enough to shoot it.

A very hadsome piece or ordnance. If you want to shoot it, go ahead. If it shoots well, carry it and damn the future vallue. If it is really collectable, you will make the other 99 that much more valualble. You always see old Winchester 1 of 1000 rifles on display in museums; most of them have been shot and shot a bumch, carried in a saddle scabbard and sometimes rusted up a bit. If it were mine, I would shoot it. My Belleau Wood Colt commemorative got shot within 30 seconds of coming out of the box at the house and no regrets. Not as much blue on it as once was but it is mine and my cherished treasure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    I betcha that gun can't hit keep 1/2 the shots in a 4 inch circle offhand at 25 yards.... prove me wrong
    I have been told that when production Colts fail inspection they tend to engrave them. I don't know if it is true, but you could be right!

Keep as a collector there are people that would buy that down the road unfired. 1911's are like having Hanes underwear but and unfired 1911 collector numbered is another story.

One thing to consider, I bet that pistol has a factory fired case in a nifty sealed envelope... so you might as well shoot it, not like it is unfired...

Don't expect to ever own a gun as purty as that one, but if it 'twere me, I would shoot the heck out of it. Not a gun if it won't shoot. Only a piece of really purty engraved art otherwise. BTW, If ya shoot it, I'll give you half of what you paid for it I think this is silly. if every one of the 100 was shot, would the same figure hold true? NO

Boolit Buddy

I shoot and carry a 3000 dollar Wilson every range trip. However, if I were you, I'd put that in the safe and shoot a 400.00 RIA
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

QUIT WAFFLIN' AND SHOOT THE DANG THING!

It's a Colt, so it won't run worth a darn. You'll have to take your Dremel tool and polish the feed ramp....get some valve grinding compound and lap in the rails....do a trigger job.....

And for crissake, get rid of that plated front sight and put one on there you can actually see.

You may be able to make a shooter out of it.......or maybe not???

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Commemorative guns are not made to be shot.
    If you want to shoot that one you should use a different frame, a different slide, and a different barrel.

Boolit Master

Beautiful gun- what a work of art!

Shoot it if you want to, of course, but to me it just seems a little like taking a rare 150 year old brilliant uncirculated silver dollar out of its protective case and letting it jingle in your pocket. Just seems too nice to put any wear on, to me.

On the other hand, it's your gun not mine. Shoot it if you want to. I wouldn't do it myself but I sure wouldn't blame you either.

Boolit Grand Master

Like the rock candy in Outlaw Josie Wales - "not for eatin', just for looking through."

In this case - looking at.

I am the original "heck just shoot it!" guy, but there are guns I will not buy because I
    WILL shoot them and a boxed S&W in mint condition, unfired from the 60s can't be
    "unshot" - so I'll just pass it by.

That one is for looking.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

if you bought it for a collector gun ? probley not
    Im sure you have other 1911s to shoot

Im a shooter not a collector so i never buy new collector guns! but have somehow ended up with a few desirable guns in 99 to 100% condtion some with box & papers ect . they were all previously shot buy the previous owners but not much. I have shot them all at least one trip to the range.

Boolit Master

I'd shoot it. Looks like someone's already scratched it all to heck and back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast