Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading slip up. How bad is it?

Banned

Reloading slip up. How bad is it?

I know this doesn't belong here, but Im not sure where it does and figure a mod will move it if necessary.

I was loading some 357 mag today. They are loaded with 5.8gr unique behind a 150 gr pb hp boolit. So heres the story. I bought 2 boxes of federal small pistol magnum match primers the other day. $25 a box seemed a bargain. I popped out two of the 100 count boxes (one at a time) and primed my brass with my hand primer. Loaded my ammo and was cleaning up before switching to 9mm. While throwing away my trash I noticed that one of the 100ct primer boxes said small RIFLE magnum match...then I checked the other, same thing. Then I checked the main box.... it says pistol.

I guess its my own damned fault. But my question is should I shoot em or pull em? Its a very light load, barely over .38spc, will the rifle primer add that much bang to them? They will go through a ruger gp100 but it has wolf springs in it and it quite a bit lighter sprung than factory. Will the hammer set the primers off.

Thanks in advance

Boolit Master

Pull them down
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Man

PULL THEM...tx

Boolit Master
    Personally I would try one to see if the pistol would hit hard enough to ignite the primer--you could prime an empty case with one and try that too.

If the load is mild the primer shouldn't be an issue unless they're too hard.

I don't know if your load is really that light since I haven't loaded any pistol ammo in years.

Quote Originally Posted by adanymous View Post
    But my question is should I shoot em or pull em?

Better safe than sorry. Pull them down and start fresh.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

this is a real light load magnum primers ignite better and usually dont increase pressures too much , i would shoot 1 and if it seems too hot ,pull them the gp100 is a fairly strong gun , some loads for heavier boolits are in the 7 gr. area so i believe this to be a safe load , if it was my gun i would shoot it
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

according to some of the primer mfg.the rifle primer has a harder case than pistol. Little dif. in ignition. The mag primer will be a little hotter, you shouldn't notice any dif. with the lite load. Try one in a empty case and then compare with the standard primer. I would compare a live round of each then if you think the hotter primer makes a big dif. tare the rest down. I usually shoot small rifle mag. primers in my 40cal loads, specially sense primers are hard to come by. The factor that will be of concern will be if your hammer will fall hard enough to activate the primer.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Darn, pulling 200 rounds sucks

If you can salvage the primer & powder, not so painful

Did the primers seat flush? I always throught the rifle were a tad thicker, not too sure though

That is a pretty modest load...my bet is you are OK, and if it were me, i would try a few.

Hey, at least you figured out why they were a bargain!

I know of at least one local competition shooter in my area that collects and loads sp 45 acp with sr primers just so he doesn't have to change when he loads

Boolit Master
    I would be more concerned if the revolver can even ignite the primer.

I use small rifle primers in my GP100 when using h110 loads. Seems to ignite better and get me almost dead even fps. But mine has stock springs.
    1,000,000 peso man

I load SP .45ACP brass with SR primers exclusively, and have never had a problem. If you contact the manufacturer, you may be told that the only difference between the two is the packaging. At most the only difference should be the hardness of the primer cup. If they go bang, you should be fine.

I would be more concerned about using magnum vs. standard primers. It should be OK in a light load, but you definitely do not want to do this in a hot load. Unique doesn't require a magnum primer.

Boolit Buddy

The rifle primers aren't going to add enough, especially to a light load, to cause any concern. As others have mentioned, your only concern is whether or not there's enough force to ignite the primer. That being said, when I first started reloading I used magnum primers for 9mm because that's all I could get my hands on.

Boolit Master

At least with Federal primers , i have used small pistol magnum and small rifle in handgun rounds with the same accuracy and velocity .
    I have also used Federal large pistol mag in place of large pistol in the 45 acp with excellent results with less than max loads.

Shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Because this is a public forum I will give you 2 answers.
    In all likelihood the rifle primers will slightly increase the pressure above the stated loading data. If you are extremely safety minded you should break the loads down.
    2nd answer
    Every pistol load I make up I use magnum primers. I personally have never had an issue with ANY of my firearms. My guns are all modern and manufactured within the past 15 years. I have no reservations on using my ammunition in my guns.
    If your revolver is fairly modern and in good shape, and you are sure the rest of the load is safe..... AND this is ME ... I would have no reservations on shooting them.
    I being me and you being you, I first suggest breaking them down
    If YOU are feeling froggy, try a few and look closely for signs of overpressure. I personally don't believe you will have any issues.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master

If the load is on the light side I would shoot them as long as the gun can reliably set them off. If the load is on the high side I would pull them.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    This is just a good example of why we all should check what is in the box at the time we buy primers in spite of what the outside box says. Hey . . don't feel bad . . . this can happen to anyone. I usually get my primers from the same LGS - CCI SP primers. A while back, I asked for a box of 1K and the girl just reached up and handed me a box. Thankfully, I checked it as it had a combination of SP and LP in it. The store sells the primers by the 100 or the 1,000. Someone "consolidate" what was on the shelf without looking at what they were.

I know this is probably a "repeat" warning - but the other day, I was at the same store looking for powder. A gal waited on me who had no idea or knowledge of re-loading. I asked for a pound of Red Dot - she handed me a pound of Blue Dot = "aren't they all the same?". I d on't know what the particular problem is with this particular LGS but the service and attitude seems to be going down hill. Lesson - check what you're buying. It's easier for me to do it then than driving 20 miles home and back again to correct something that even the clerk should have checked as well as myself.

Boolit Buddy
    id shoot them.

Boolit Master

How do you even know what you have? I would expect the outer main box to be the correct product for what is inside. With that aside, I have shot many thousands of small rifle primers in pistol cartridges over the years. CCI 400 SR primers are the exact same primer as their CCI 550 SP mag primer according to CCI.

Don