Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loaded up some PP 45-90:

Yes Lumpy, The expense just wasn't worth it, even if the seller would have covered it. Postage and time, just an unnecessary headache. I'm happy with the Accumark and especially pleased with the glass that came with it. I still have the heavy barreled 34" Pedersoli "Super Match" so burning black and pouring lead is still very enjoyable. Too bad they never made "Take Down" Rolling Blocks so I could simply switch barrels...Ha Ha

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M71 View Post
    The fired primer backed out considerably and a noticeable rim had raised around the firing pin dent. I also was just reminded by Charlie of another variable at play. The firing pin hole was much too large, causing the primer to expand where it shouldn't have. It was also extremely difficult to open the action. The protruding primer left a mark on the breech block as the block was lowered to open the action. Shiloh in Big Timber offered to take a look but the expense was gong to be "Uncharted Waters". It may have been remedied by a replacement breech block. A friend had an extra one to try but my attitude had deteriorated concerning the rifle.
    The gun store sent the gun to their smith and his determination was the same as mine. His method for the diagnosis is unknown but a feeler gauge may have been helpful. He said it was .008 out of head space. The refund was offered and I took it. 88gr. of FF behind a 530 gr. PP was a not comfortable either.
    It sure was pretty rifle but a lesson was learned: A center fire Farmingdale built Shiloh can have questionable internal dimensions and tolerances. My advice when considering purchasing one is to be very diligent, proceed with caution. Personally I'll never take one home again. On the other hand I've owned two Farmingdale 1863's and they were spot on, no trouble at all.
    That wasn't head space, it was, and is, simply the result of primer flow back into the firing pin hole in the breech. You rifle had the large, original-style firing pin and this happens every time. I have one of these and have been shooting it for many years. It's fine.

The "problem" with the Farmingdale Shiloh is on the other end, excessive freebore. Typically about 0.6" of freebore that is a few thousandths over groove diameter. It can only shoot groove+ diameter bullets with or w/o paper with moderate accuracy at best. Nearly everyone of these needs rebarreling, and to paraphrase Ernie Stallman, "The Farmingdale Shiloh built Badger Barrels". Indeed, my Farmer now wears a Badger like everyone else's who is interested in an accurate Sharps. Mine still has the original firing pin and block though and it is really not much of a problem. Too bad you sold it, I like the lines of the Farmer much better than the Big Timber version made today.

Brent, I appreciate the information. I should have detailed the circumstances here before flying off the handle. My biggest concern was the primer backing out and the difficulty in opening the action. My tolerance for poor workmanship is zero. The gun was shipped back to the corporate office for disposition. Patience is a virtue and I an fairly deficient in that area. Live and learn. Bruce

Boolit Master
    Brent, I appreciate the information. I should have detailed the circumstances here before flying off the handle. My biggest concern was the primer backing out and the difficulty in opening the action. My tolerance for poor workmanship is zero. The gun was shipped back to the corporate office for disposition. Patience is a virtue and I an fairly deficient in that area. Live and learn. Bruce
    Just so you know there was nothing wrong with your rifle. Other than the excessive freebore, that's what an original Sharps is like as well. If you want to know what shooting the orginal was like w/o having one, that is as close as you will get. It is definitely NOT poor workmanship.

BTW, this is what the chamber of your Sharps looked like.

In Remembrance
    I also was just reminded by Charlie of another variable at play.
    I directed you to a thread of a similar nature on the Shiloh forum ... where it was decided that there was no headspace or firing pin problem.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    So as to not hijack, BrentD, I am sending you a pm
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12