Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard lube for Mr. Bullet Feeder

Boolit Buddy

Hard lube for Mr. Bullet Feeder

I got a Dillion XL 650 with a mr. bullet feeder from double alpha. I need a good hard lube for 45acp and 9mm. The way the mr. bullet feeder works, is it uses stainless steel balls that prevent the bullet from dropping until the next empty case is pushed up and actuates the drop. Well with carnuba red lube, some times the bullet falls down and the stainless steel balls slide into the lube groove and prevent the bullet from coming down. Its due to carnuba red being too soft. I have experienced this in winter and summer. Hope this is all making sense. Anyways any one who has a mr. bullet feeder and knows a good lube that would be hard enough to prevent this.... please let me know.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    mr. bullet isn't designed for cast ...only jacketed.

now you might have better luck if you powder coated your pills.
    wax tends to gum it up some.

yes...i own a mr b. feeder...in 40 s&w

Boolit Master
    p.s. wait until the ss balls get stuck from the wax ...then the fun begins!

Boolit Buddy

Already experienced that. And I spoke with the Rick and he did say that cast are just fine but you would need to use mica powder. It worked well with mica and prevented sticking during collating and flipping the bullet.. but the lube seemed to be just too soft and the stainless steel barrings still locked things up in the lube groove during the droptube process.

Thinking about http://www.midwayusa.com/product/667...et-lube-hollow since it can handle the heat. However its cheaper directly from the manufacturers site.
    Last edited by evil5826; 08-26-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Banned
    Their all designed for jacketed but you are correct in your hunt for a hard lube. It should work fine with a stiff lube and do let us know how it works out.

Boolit Master
    Two ideas.
    #1 are there multiple adjustments to accommodate different lenth bullets? I have only seen the one for 9mm and there were two setting.
    I dont have one so i dont know, but I would look into it.

#2 before I ordered a MR Bullet feeder for my self. I solved the cast in a bullet feed die for my own use.
    Powder coating does the trick for me and Hornady dies for 38,9mm, and 45acp.

Boolit Buddy

Powder coating is not an issue what so ever. All my PC flow fine through it. Just wanted to make a few non PC bullets.

Banned
    I use a 50/50 lube and do have to clean it out after loading for a while. I also purchased some SS balls off ebay so its a simple process of removing the dirty ones and replacing with clean ones.

Boolit Master

Place your boolits in the freezer for an hour before you load. Just be careful of high humidity days. Are you sure you want to mess with a hard lube. Hard lubes have their problems.

Boolit Buddy

What kind of problems? Just curious.

Banned
    What typically happens with any bullet dropper is either bullet lube getting on the balls inside the dropper or the drop lube getting gunked up with lube inside the drop tube. Any of the droppers are really designed for jacketed or plated in other words clean bullets and throwing something else into the mix cast lubes bullets gets the dropper into trouble because it ceases to function.

Banned
    My Mr.Booletfeeder bullet dropper with a PVC tube(flex water pipe) on my 45acp setup for the 650.

Attachment 114633

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    What typically happens with any bullet dropper is either bullet lube getting on the balls inside the dropper or the drop lube getting gunked up with lube inside the drop tube. Any of the droppers are really designed for jacketed or plated in other words clean bullets and throwing something else into the mix cast lubes bullets gets the dropper into trouble because it ceases to function.

This I know. Which is why i started this post. However I think a hard lube may prevent that from happening. Only way to find out is to try this blue angel and report back. If carnuba was a tad bit harder, i wouldn't be having the issues I am having. And as randyrat says to put them in the freezer before loading.... this works but I get side tracked and they start to heat up. I guess I would have to be fast enough. Plus the cast starts to get condensation on them in the heat once taken out.

Boolit Master

I have been using hard lubes for over 25 years ! first from Red Rooster then LBT ,Tru-flite , Thompson , Magnma & last Carnuba Red with no problems with leading or obtaining excellent accuracy with any lube that i have used !
    I dont see a down side for its use except maybe Red Rooster- Zambeni Red!

Thats from maybe 40 handguns and 5 rifles and over 250,000 boolets worth.

With CR it was a little tacky for my liking so i made my own mix of 75% CR mixed with 25% magnama and that has worked fine for me for about 7 years now.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 08-27-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Banned
    Harder lube will help prevent it from happening. In my case I added some soy wax into the bullet lube.

Banner Sponsor

I am very sorry to hear about the problems with Carnauba Red. We do have two other commercial grade lubes that are not listed on our web page.
    Carnauba Red melts at 160F and flows around 100F
    Commercial Grade 160 melts at 165F and flows between 105-130F
    Commercial Grade 190 melts at 190F and flows between 130-160F

Neither one is brittle and will stay put in the lube grooves.
    I would suggest that you try the Commercial 160, it is really similar to Carnauba Red, but is stiffer and is not tacky except when you get it real warm.
    PM me your address and wether you want solid or hollow and I'll drop a stick in the mail for you to try.

Glenn.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks PM sent.

Boolit Master

I will order CG-160 on my next lube order .

Boolit Buddy
    You could try Randy Lee's TC X. It seems pretty hard after it sets up.

EdC

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have a Mini Mr. Bullet feeder and quit using it because the boolits I was using from Valiant clogged up the works. They said it worked with cast boolits but I had nothing but trouble with
    it so I took it off the press and put it away.

Len H.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast