RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .38 Rim Fire

Now that's a cool move. Smart one too. Ha. Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Here is what we do. You leave the rear sight on and sight it in for a lesser distance.
    In this case the rear sight set for 25 yards, the tang sight set for 50 yards.
    No issues
    Mike

Hooker, another trick with having a barrel site and a tang sight is to put a Beach sight on the front. Then use the barrel sight with the post and the tang sight with the globe/pinhead. Note that old Remington dovetails are not the same as modern stuff, if you do get a Beach sight for the front, make sure it has the 7/16" dovetail base or you will have to make a little gib to take up the slack.
    kootne

Hey Kootne. I went to Buffalo Arms and looked at the Beach combination flip sites by Red River. Now I have two things to get or make for this Roller. Lol. Thanks man. Good info.

Roy

Hooker, it's probably cheaper going through a divorce or a fire than hanging out on this website. You have been warned.

Kootne. You hit the X Ring with that one. Lol. Boys gotta have their toys!!

New Mould

New Update
    Well. I got in the new Boolit mould forthis gun Friday and all I can say is WOW. It came from Old West Moulds. It's also my first brass mould. I had Bernie to make me a combo mould. One Cav is for the 125 grn heeled Boolit and the other is for the 150 grn heeled. I also got the inverted top and bottem punches to fit my 4500 sizer/luber. This mould is a work of art and can't wait to try a few. Keep shooting these old Rim Fires guys. It's a hoot.

Roy
    Hooker53

Good report. I shot my #2 again today with the Boolits from my new mould and the new way to resize them. It's shooting close enough with 13.8 grns of J'S Gold that to work with the loads any better I'm gonna have to get me a tang peep. So. Guess I will be working on one of them. Keep shooting these old guns gents they are a hoot!!!!

Roy

I have located a Marbles R3 tang site that will fit my #2 roller. I know it's for #4 but think its right on the line of being high enough. The owner said it would extend out to 2.5" tall. If that center stake is a straight rod and netThreaded I think I can make a longer one. If not, then it will look nice sitting on my #4. Ha. Ha.

Has anyone here tried an R3 on their #2 roller and how did it do?? Thanks y'all.

Roy

Boolit Master

Hooker, check my earlier posts about the IMPROVED Marble's tang sights. These let you change out to taller staffs with the turn of an Allen screw without loosing your windage setting on the permanent base. No need to get freaky in the machine shop.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Hey Bigslug. Thanks for the reminder and also for the word about the 17-A front.

New Report

As you all know, I been working up some loads for my Rem #2 Roller. My main load has been 13.8 grns of JS Gold ffg which is also all I can get into the shortened .38 Spl case. I had two things waiting on me when I got home yesterday. A new Lyman 17-A front sight and a F1 Chrony. As much better as I could group with the new sight this morning just using it and the rear Buckhorn, I can't imagine how good it's gonna be when I do get a rear peep on it. At 50 it brought my groups into abt 3" shooting offhand. Love it.

On the Chrony. The above load clocked right around 1047 average. So now I have a standard to go from on this rifle. I know I must have aggregated one or two with questions about my new interest in these old guns and I'm sorry. Forgive my Overzealousness in trying to bring all this into thinking and thank you for your help.

P. S. as an added funny bonus report, I had one round that I questioned from the get-go late one night when I was loading these as if it got any powder. I'm happy to report using my new F1 Chrony that a small pistol primer ONLY will hurl a 125 grn heeled Boolit at 400.1 FPS five feet from the muzzle. Lol.
    Last edited by Hooker53; 02-14-2015 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Master

Great report and keep them coming!!
    As to those you may have aggravated, may they get a better life.
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-07-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm somewhat surprised that just a primer will propel a boolit out of the barrel.

As to the rest, I agree with Mike. At the very least, reading about someone getting an old gun going again isn't reading about the same new stuff that Joe Blow can buy at Wally World.

Robert

Robert. I was more surprised than you till I heard it hit the Boolit Trap and I looked on the Chrony. Ha. I'm Kinda wondering now what just a small rifle Prim would do. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised that just a primer will propel a boolit out of the barrel.

As to the rest, I agree with Mike. At the very least, reading about someone getting an old gun going again isn't reading about the same new stuff that Joe Blow can buy at Wally World.

Robert

Some more load testing today

Loaded up some more 125 Grn. Boolits today. Two diff loads. The first was my standard load for this gun at 13.8 Gns of Jim S Gold ffg. They clocked at an Average 1058 FPS.

The other load was just 2.0 Gns of Bullseye. They clocked an Average of 649.5. I'm wondering now if I need to step the BE up a little or back the ffg Gold down some. Whatz y'all think?
    Last edited by Hooker53; 03-06-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Master

2.7 Grains of Bullseye
    Fun load
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-07-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Mike, I will work right up to that load and after trying it, will report how my gun likes it. Thanks

Roy
    Hooker53

2.7 Grains of Bullseye
    Fun load
    Mike

Boolit Master

Based on my intentions in the Martini Cadet thread, I would ramp the 125 grain loads up to the point that you find an accuracy node somewhere around 1100 fps. This will put you into the same performance dynamic as .22 match ammo; you're starting sub-sonic so you don't have the airflow problems associated with having to cross the transsonic barrier shortly out of the barrel, yet you're moving as fast as you can go within that limit, giving the best possible trajectory for a low-noise round.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Mike are you using the 2.7 in the 150 Gns Boolit as well or just the 125?

Bigslug, that's good stuff right there and will continue to work up. Sounds like you have a clear path. Both my Cadet and my Rem #2 has become my two best enjoyed guns but that might change when I start working up some loads for my 22 Hornet. Than I will have 3 Fav's. Lol

2.7 Grains of Bullseye
    Fun load
    Mike

Ok. I loaded up and shot some 2.6 Grn loads of BE today and my Ave was 835.2. That's not up to my BP load of 1058 but just wondering if I wantto match the BP load with BE? 2.7 might be my limit. I know the two powders burn diff but don't know if I want to go that high with the smokeless. Either way, shooting off hand, the 2.6 gave me around 2" grouping and I'm sure it would have been better rested. Gotta find me a good bench rest. Thanks for all your post guys. It's just to much fun for one person. Lol.
    Last edited by Hooker53; 03-07-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Master

Roy
    Yes, 150 grain and 2.7 will be just fine.
    I am pleased with your accuracy! You happy with this?
    Let me know what the 2.7 does for you !!
    Enjoy,
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-08-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast