Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .38 Rim Fire

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hooker53 View Post
    I was wondering how the Tripple 7 fffg did in this size case and Boolit combo. My LGS has some and I plan to pick some ffg and some fffg.
    What with the restrictions California puts on real black, we never even bothered with it, but we've used the Triple Seven in rounds from this to 45-120 and a Whitworth replica, and it is not lacking in the accuracy department. Easier to clean up after than the real stuff, even though it doesn't smell as good. Just learn the conversion process before you start - it's not a straight 1-1 replacement.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Good info Big. I will check on this. Right now the load I'm using is 13.8 grns of the Shocky Gold ffg. That is also a full case at that amount. What I will have to do is Fig the diff between the a gold and the Tripple 7. I need to do a comparison and see if the 7 is hotter than the Gold. In our area, the Trip 7 is 29.95 for one of the small bottles. I'm sure the Hasmat fee is right in there. Lol. Thanks for the info.

Roy

Anyone out there have a Tang Peep on their #2 Roller? Just wondering what's out there I could get and put on mine. Heck. Might as well go all the way with this one. Ha. My hole to hole center distance looks like 1 15/16" or close to it. I think this might help me pull those groups in on this one. I have a Long brass Mossberg #7? scope. Now that would be a hoot sitting on top that Roller. Ha.
    Last edited by Hooker53; 01-14-2015 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Grand Master
    Hooker53, Nice looking rifle.

I still have the original barrel mounted sights on mine, a few years ago I almost bought a Fecker scope and mounts at an auction. Unfortunately there was one other guy there that also knew what it was worth and he had more disposable income than I did. Actually I wasn't all that serious about it, I could still see front sights then.....

Robert

Ha. Ha. Robert, I know what you mean. I think it would help my eyes and the grouping to try an old scope or a peep. Just can't see putting as much in a peep as I would a scope. Now. If I had some good Machine Shop drawings for a folding type peep, than that would be a cinch. Lol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hooker53 View Post
    Anyone out there have a Tang Peep on their #2 Roller? Just wondering what's out there I could get and put on mine. Heck. Might as well go all the way with this one. Ha. My hole to hole center distance looks like 1 15/16" or close to it. I think this might help me pull those groups in on this one. I have a Long brass Mossberg #7? scope. Now that would be a hoot sitting on top that Roller. Ha.
    Here ya go: http://www.marblearms.com/improvedPeepTang_info.html

Nice thing about the Improved version of the Marbles is that you buy the one base and can buy different height interchangeable staffs if you either guess wrong or decide to play at a wildly different distance. Windage-adjustable too!

For field use, I like the HK-style sight picture you get teaming this up with the narrowest post insert in a 17-A front. For black bull's eyes, ring inserts are da bomb. Both vastly preferable to open irons with old eyebones.
    WWJMBD?

Hey Big. That's a good list. Gonna study it some tonight. Just can't get over a tang sight costing as much as a scope. Lol. Guess that's just the name of the game. They do t sell as many of these as scopes do have to make the adjustment. Ha. What I would like to do is find some machine shop drawings on one. Lol.

Had to sit it up on there to see what it looks like. Ha. Ha. Whats ya thing shooters, Scope or Peep???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller With Scope 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	127714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roller With Scope.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	127712
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roller With Scope 2.jpg  

Boolit Master

If it's already drilled for a peep, then peep.

If you have to have it drilled for either, then I'd probably still go peep. Less offensive to the purist you might opt to sell it to later. Then again, if you're irreversibly violating the originality, you could drill six holes and set it up for both.

While I like external adjustment scopes unhealthily more than the next man, given the period of the gun, the fact that it's pretty much stock with the original breech block installed, and the relative gutlessness of the cartridge, I'd save that optic for something with a little more boom.

I regard the .38 Long as a .22LR that's done some steroids. It's a REALLY fun shredder of water bottles and cans out to a hundred yards or so, with a ballistic arc that has to be compensated for within that distance. If your goal is to declare war on the local rodents, a .22 is probably still the better way to go, for lack of ricocheting mass if nothing else. I would save the technical fiddling of an E.A. scope for a longer range system where fiddling is more inherent to the process and use this rifle as something to slam a lot of cheaply assembled plinking rounds through in a hurry. In short, it is the ideal medium to channel your inner six year old.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master
    Knowing just how dainty a #2 Rolling Block really is; I have to vote for the tang sight. My tang is already drilled and tapped, with filler screws.

Robert

Gentlemen. That scope will probably not go on my roller least I get very bored with it or see second thoughts. Drill and tap the barrel for it? Never. 380 Black Max will prevent that. We are not talking 30-06 recoil here so I'm sure it would hold. My tang is already drilled and tapped from the factory and plugged. I was just thinking. I already have the scope and it's paid for. A marble 009819, $150 bucks with all the extras you can get for it. I think I would like to try the peep before my eyes won't let me. Lol. Now if a lad were to post a real deal on a 009819, it would not last long if i caught it. Thanks for posting and have a great weekend. Think I'll go shoot that roller.

Boolit Master

Last edited by skeettx; 01-17-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Yep. That's it. That's the one I would go with. Gonna have to treat. Yes,f to that one soon. Ha. Thanks Mike.

Hooker, check out the repop sight on Gunbroker. Search Remington tang sight #2. It has way more class (in my humble opinion) does probably cost a little more and needs finish. But, it is THE right sight for that rifle.
    kootne

Boolit Master

Hey thanks Kootne and Mike for the info and link. Not a bad looking sight. Have to wonder what that veneer highth is on that sight. The only thing a tang peep sight is doing is giving you a hole that lines up with the front and back sight on your barrel right?

Boolit Master

Nope. Replaces the rear barrel sight in function and increases your sight radius. Depending on your rear sight, you'll either fold it down, or take it off - putting a filler blank in the dovetail slot for aesthetics. When coupled with a globe front sight (like Lyman 17A), you get something much easier for old eyeballs to work with. Here; education! https://www.google.com/search?q=glob...ch&q=Lyman+17A

You center the outer ring of the front sight inside the ring of the rear sight. WAY easier than trying to get clear focus on a post in a v-notch. I find a post insert in the 17A is best for plinking, but the ring insert best for bullseyes. For that you just add one more circle to the alignment process - when the black bullseye has an even ring of white around it, send the shot.
    WWJMBD?

Well yea. I knew you would have to remove the rear sight. I meant like sighting Through the same plane. Ha. All good info. Gonna go read that Google Edu. Wink. Y'all have a good day.

Hooker53, your mention of a .375/125 heeled bullet reminded me of something I was playing with last week.

I bought a cheap wire clipper from the "dollar" store and drilled through the jaws with a 9.0 mm bit. I used that tool to "crimp" the rear end of a slug from the LEE .375/130 mould. Instant heeled bullet!
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Here is what we do. You leave the rear sight on and sight it in for a lesser distance.
    In this case the rear sight set for 25 yards, the tang sight set for 50 yards.
    No issues
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-07-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast