Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: .38 Rim Fire

.38 Rim Fire

A little help. What size case are we talking about on a .38 RF? Is there any other cases that can be trimmed to use in a. 38 RF? The one I'm looking at is a Rem mod # 2 roller. Don't think I would have any trouble changing it over to a CF but just wondering if any here have done it and what cases you are using for it? Thanks all!!

Roy

Boolit Master

38 Long rimfire--- 38 Long COLT
    Bullet .375 -------- .357
    Neck .376 ----------.377
    Base .376 ----------.378
    Rim .435------------ .433
    Case .873----------- 1.03

Trim and use a heeled bullet
    Take a 38 Long Colt sized case and see how far it will go
    into the chamber

To go the cheap route, trim a 38 Special case to .873 and give it a try.
    You may have to take the rim down a bit but it depends on each rifle.

MORE FUN WOULD BE TO USE THESE

http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCPro...?ItmID=7669728
    http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCCat...ATName=Rimfire
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-11-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Skeet. That's just what The doctor ordered. Thank you so much for that info. Have you ever used them in a #2 Roller? How do they hold up to smokeless? I'm real excited now after getting this info. I had already chalked it up to unfounded territory. Lol. I will computer sticky that site you posted here and thanks LOADS again.

Roy

Boolit Master

Roy,

GOOD, Please report back on what you find out about cases fitting your particular gun.
    Is it yours? a friends? a girlfriends? for sale?

I would stay with Black powder at first and then maybe, just maybe work up from ONE grain of Bullseye.

ONE grain might leave the bullet in the barrel at first, but SAFETY first.

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-11-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Mike it is for sell by another party. I'm working on the deal now. Just wanted to know all I could about it before I was holding it, wondering what I'v done. Lol. I will indeed report back with what happens. I have no problem what so ever with BP. My problem is getting it right now. I have not seen any without being a banker within 50 miles of my home. Thanks for the I fo.
    Proxy

UPDATE

As I live and breath I would never guess I would be today, holding the little .38 RF test kit in my hand today that Skeetex(mike) put me on. I ordered them Monday night from Luxemburg, Belg and they were on my doorstep today.

In reading the info on their website, almost any BP is good for the rifle cases. Surprisingly even ffffg powder. I would have thought that it would have been too fine. I don't have the Flobert 6mm blanks yet but I can make a primer with a .22 LF. The biggest thing they stressed on their site was to make sure I filled the case completely.

So thanks to several here and Mike, I will be able to shoot my Rem #2 .38 cal RF roller tomorrow for the first time.

Boolit Master

AWESOME
    Waiting for the report
    Last edited by skeettx; 10-11-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the European 9mm rimfire blank cartridge could be reworked to make a .38 RF?
    Haven't seen the blank cartridge only seen the 9mm blank revolvers advertised.

Hey Multi. IV seen stranger things used around here. It could be used if the fit is good. Well. I was standing down there debating where to use a cut off .22 cal RF sheel or wait for the 6mm Floberts to arrive. I think i will wait on these seeings how these cases were made for them. I want to shoot it bad but no use in rushing things here. Ha. I have five test rounds and then I have to make a choice on a mould. I'm too unlucky for a used one to come up in the next few days anyway. Lol.

Boolit Master
    If you end up really like shooting that #2, then you might consider getting a centerfire breech block from The Rifle Shoppe. It takes a bit of fitting but is worth it to be able to use and reload centerfire brass. Just remember where you kept the original.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I would love to find a center fire block for this rifle. I even did a WTB post for one and no answers. I will follow your lead on this and thanks texassako.

I tried a 22 call LR case that I cut down a few Mins ago and no fire. It's just barely nipping the rim. The cases I got from HL are very thin on the rim sooooo I made a SS wire ring to go around the case to push it out of the chamber .020 and still no joy. Lol. Maybe the Floberts I have ordered will be a little larger on the rim. I also will pull down the block and remove the firing pin and do a look see. When I closed the block on the case you can push the firing pin all the way level with the back of the block. But it's still just barely nipping rim where it has enough length or not. I think I would be happyer with this #2 setup as a. Center fire. I just did not want to rework the Original. I will keep working at it.

Just caught that link Mike. Thanks loads. I thought it would be much higher than that. He will have a call from me Monday. Ha. I love this site and forum.
    Last edited by Hooker53; 10-11-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: More words.

Hooker53,
    I posted some information in response to your question on the .32 Rimfire thread. One of the references is one that you have already contacted.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-brass/page23

Hope your testing goes well.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Finnaly

Great Day
    Made a new firing pin for my Remington #2 Roller today. Loaded up a cartridge with fffg and away she went. Ha. The old pin just was not getting there as the HL brass rim was just too thin. It's shooting very high so have to work on that but it's right over the X every time. might try some ffg and see what that does.

Now, I just have to find some .375 heeled Boolits ans maybe make some more cases. Don't think I'm gonna shoot it enough to buy a mould, but you just let me catch a used mould that will do a .375 heeled. Lol. Thanks for all the help on this one. Now maybe I can get back on my Martini project. Ha.
    Roy

Well. It keeps getting better. I tried some Jim S gold FFg this afternoon and not only did it bring my MOA down to the X but don't make near the mess Pyro does. Shoots almost like smokeless. Gotta get my hands on some J'S Gold fffg and try that. These little rollers are a hoot and to think how well they till shoot to be as old as they are. Skeettx, Old West moulds is the folks to deal with. They are setting me up with some test Boolits and after that, a new mould.

Roy

Boolit Master

WONDERFUL!!
    Keep on keeping on,
    Well done
    Thank you for the report
    Mike

Mike, I'm liking these old RF so well, I'm thinking about watching for a deal in a 32 RF. Maybe a 44. Lol.

Well. I got the casted block in last week. Have my work cut out for me cleaning up and fitting this block to my gun. Won't take long. Have to make a barrel screw and an extractor washer. Gonna be nice to just trim back .38 Spl brass and use reg primers.

Boolit Master

Awesome, the new breechblock should be a real help once fitted.
    Please keep up these fine reports
    Mike

Mike. I'm excited. Looks like now, all I have to decide on now is how long I can make my brass. Ha. I can take .187 off the length and with a 125 grn Boolt, it will chamber. I just don't want the extra case capacity to raise the pressures to high. With .187 shorter on the .38 Spl, it's right much Longer then the offset Flobert type cases. I'm not gonna shoot nothing but BP in the Long ones anyway.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast