Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: AA#7 in the 45 acp

Love Life

AA#7 in the 45 acp

Is pretty dang awesome.

While fooling with my garbage Glock 41, I had started load development using AA#7 under 230 gr RN cast boolits in the 45 acp. It showed a lot of promise, but the gun platform really made testing difficult.

Well, I finished my load work up today with a Gen 4 Glock 21 and I must say that AA#7 is a winner for me. I had clean-ish cases, no high pressure, solid and uniform ejection, really good accuracy, a clean barrel, and I was really impressed.

So, if you have a 45 acp pistol that is sitting dormant because you can't find your favorite 'splody powder, and happen to have a bit of AA#7 around, then I recommend you give it a go!!

Boolit Master
    Ive tried it but did not load a stiff enough of a cartridge so I was getting sooty brass

Love Life
    There were 3 sweet spots, but being at the top end of the charge ladder is where it was happiest for accuracy, clean cases, and robust ejection.

Boolit Master
    I am looking forward to retrying, with both #7 and #5

I have never tried any accurate powders. Never got around to it. Always had other things work well. I'll give some a try if I run into any.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Love Life
    It meters very well, but it is not as efficient as bullseye. 9 gr of AA#7 under a 230 gr RN plated bullet and a 230 gr RN cast bullet from Hardline Industries was the load I picked to load in mass.

However, it was clean accurate and functioned. Plus I have a bunch of AA#7 and have no plans to use it in any other cartridge as I like AA#9 in the 10mm and 357, HP38/W231 in the 9mm, and Unique in the 38 Special.

I guess next up is to redo my load development for 45 ACP with 800X.

The load data I had from Jupiter7 who got it from Western is 7.8 gr to 9.2 of AA#7 under a 230 gr XTP.

The listed data on the accurate website is a bit hot so be careful using it.

Boolit Grand Master

Considerable functional psi difference between the .40 short and weak and the 45 ACP. Getting AA #7 up to sufficient psi for efficient burn in a 45 ACP is most often an over the top load psi wise.

Larry Gibson

Love Life
    Would you like me to send you some for testing? If you'll recall, I tested AA#7 in the Glock 41 and was at a much higher powder charge (using the AA website load data).

The 5.0 gr Bullseye load (my usual favorite) had much whippier recoil and much stronger ejection than the AA#7 loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Sure.

Larry Gibson

Love Life
    I'll shoot you a PM.

Accuracy was quite acceptable for shooting at 25 yds.
    Last edited by Love Life; 08-27-2014 at 06:50 PM.