Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Lube

Boolit Grand Master

Case Lube

The lanolin will be here tomorrow. Gonna make another batch of case lube.

Does anyone know what the ingredient is in LEE case lube??
    That would be the thick white semi-paste in the 2 oz. tubes.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

No idea at all. I use STP for case lube and like it. It's pretty cheap too.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    lee case lube is a water soluble deep drawing lube. I do not know who makes it but it isn't uncommon in the metal forming industry. Lee published this tidbit at one time. They sell it cheap enough that I didn't try to get an industrial source.

Boolit Grand Master
    What is a deep drawing lube?? What is it used for?? I have some wire pulling lube. Some have used this but it needs to be tweaked with something like a wetting agent.

I LOVE my lanolin based lube lube. The water based lube though, tumbles off very fast.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    What is a deep drawing lube?? What is it used for?? Shiloh
    Its a lubricant which is roll coated or sprayed on metal sheets or rolls before it goes through a heavy metal stamping or forming press. The lube allows the metal to flow as its formed into shape by the stamping dies or tools. Without the lube the metal can deform, wrinkle, tear or crack. Draw lube used to be petroleum based but in recent years it has widely shifted to synthetics and more water based and "environmentally friendly".
    Last edited by igolfat8; 08-27-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks.

Water based lube cleans and tumbles off very quickly.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    I've been wanting to try it as a paper patch lube. It mixes with water just fine. It isn't bad as a patch lube in muzzleloading and seems to inhibit rusting.

Boolit Master
    What is a deep drawing lube?? What is it used for?? I have some wire pulling lube. Some have used this but it needs to be tweaked with something like a wetting agent.

I LOVE my lanolin based lube lube. The water based lube though, tumbles off very fast.

Shiloh
    I have used the yellow Ideal wire pulling lube and it performs very well. You could dissolve it in alcohol and make a really good spray lube.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I have used the yellow Ideal wire pulling lube and it performs very well. You could dissolve it in alcohol and make a really good spray lube.
    Bought this for less than $7 at Fleet Farm. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1378720
    I'll play with it this winter. Got a lot of cases to do, and my lanolin is here. The lanolin lube goes a long way.
    It is water based.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Moderator Emeritus
    After years of trying different case lubes and recipes I've settled upon Hornady Unique, cheap and very effective, at least as good as Imperial sizing wax but a lot cheaper.

Don't like the Lee stuff as the only stuck case I've ever had was using that stuff.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Are you saying you tumble (vibrate) your loaded rounds to remove case lube? Perhaps in walnut or corn cob media?

Boolit Master
    My 2 cents... When I full length size any brass that requires a case lube, I use the RCBS case lube and pad. I resize in bulk and then hot boiling water/dawn dish soap in my media separator. then rinse 3 times and then dry by blowing compressed air thru each case... sun dry 4 hours while I am doing something else. I know it seems like a pain, but the brass comes out squeeky clean.... primer pockets too.

Banned

Unique

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Are you saying you tumble (vibrate) your loaded rounds to remove case lube? Perhaps in walnut or corn cob media?
    If you are referring the me, I DON"T tumble live rounds. All processing is completed before loading.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks.

Water based lube cleans and tumbles off very quickly.

Shiloh
    Yes, I was. I just read your post wrong. Thanks for clarification.

The Lee stuff is MOSTLY what I use now, but I don't know the ingredients. I've tried to find out myself with no luck. I see a couple praises for unique and that stinking stuff is just unscented muzzleloader patch lube. I made it through a quarter tub of that stuff before I could no longer stand the stink! I also tried the scented muzzleloader patch lubes and It worked well.

When I was trying to form some cases out of 30-06 cases thy kept buckling at the neck and I kept trying different lubes and then just for the heck of it I try'ed some Super Lube that I had gotten at HF and it worked great and I never lost another case.

Boolit Master
    Beexwax and shortning 1/3 ratio

Boolit Master

I like the Lanolin and alcohol mix it works well when doing large batches of cases but must be cleaned off before loading a hot soap wash does that well . If i am using it when loading i just rub it on the cases with my fingers it seems to work well and is not inside the case and primer pocket like when spraying on a large batch. It works very well for a swaging lube also when forming jacketed bullets.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tumble it off Firefly.
    It does however, load up the corncob media after a while.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast