Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mold is bad

Boolit Master
    Indeed, Richard Lee did disparage a major reloading company by name.

There's a very valid reason the term "Lee-menting" was coined. Considering all that has been written about Lee moulds, it shouldn't surprise a purchaser that its quality and performance may be lacking. I own and use Lee moulds, and may well buy more, but I did so, and will do so with the knowledge that post production quality control work will be required.

There are many reasons why a mould sells for $20, while a mould of similar features sells for $80.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
    which one is for tumble lube?

side question, why hollow point? those are usually used for self defense.
    Sir, you can tumble lube any boolit.
    HP has more benefits than just rapid expansion. It puts the ballance of the boolit more to the rear which makes it fly better.
    You will notice that almost every match rifle bullet has a HP on it even though hunting with them is discouraged.

One more link I would like to pass on to you is that of the White Label Lube Company located right here in Arkansas. I think their products are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and they sell this stuff called 45/45/10 that you should be very interested in.
    http://www.lsstuff.com/
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned
    Please call me mike.

Do tumble lube bullets hold more lube when tumbled? Compared to tumbling groove lube bullets. Thanks
    Last edited by birddseedd; 08-27-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Banned
    Do ur molds come with handles and everything i need or do i have to buy something separate?

This is correct need to QC the boolits not the cavities.

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    Remember that the mold expands when hot. The question is how much does the mold cavity expand going from room temperature to 400F, and how much does the lead alloy shrink from its melting/freezing point to room temperature. Aluminum has a rather large expansion coefficient of about 0.0000124 in/in-F. Lead has an even larger expansion coefficient of 0.0000163, so it would seem that the bullet would shrink more going from its melting/freezing point of about 621F to room temperature. This would seem to indicate that the cavity could not be the same size as the resulting (lead) bullet. I don't what alloying does to the expansion coefficient, and I don't know if there are any phase changes in solid lead alloys as they cool that could cause an additional size change.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    This is correct need to QC the boolits not the cavities.
    Incorrect as 0.0000124 + 0.0000163 != .003

Boolit Grand Master

Do ur molds come with handles and everything i need or do i have to buy something separate?
    No Mike, but nearly all custom molds are made to use the most cost effective mold handles on the market which are made by...........none other than Lee Precision.

Also, remember that often the trick with lube is to use enough of the right kind of lube in order to get good results. With 45/45/10, a very minute residue is plenty to get you where you want to be. I haven't found a boolit that (when properly Fitted to the application) won't do just fine with 45/45/10.

Incorrect as 0.0000124 + 0.0000163 != .003
    Coefficient of thermal expansion note the units are in/in-F. Inches of expansion per inch of part for each degree Fahrenheit. (12.4E-6) * (.358) * (400) = 0.0018" ...... .358+0.0018= .3598" - (16.3E-6) (.3598)(400-70)= .3598-0.0019=0.3578"

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Indeed, Richard Lee did disparage a major reloading company by name.
    Source? Not a challenge. Would like to know.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned
    does it make any difference that one of the handles on my "handles" keeps coming off?

Glue it back on... I used plain old wood glue and haven't had the problem again, most here would probably recommend something stronger, but wood glue has worked for me
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Glue it back on... I used plain old wood glue and haven't had the problem again, most here would probably recommend something stronger, but wood glue has worked for me
    yea. im sure iv got some epoxy or something around here.

saw a guy on youtube duct taped his handle.

Banned
    There a list of all the vendors that make molds here?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    It's in his reloading manual. I think most of the disparaging remarks were taken out of the Second Edition. But the other company is still mentioned by name.

Banned
    darn him

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I'll look for it, then post it. It'll give me something to do tonight. (Hope I can find it that fast.)

By the way, he made many disparaging remarks about another major company, though he didn't mention the name. I was in sales for most of my working career. Differences in product can be made without disparaging remarks. It's all about credibility.

Boolit Grand Master

There a list of all the vendors that make molds here?
    Not that I know of. I tried to give you all of them (except LBT who deserves honorable mention, although I have no personal experience with them)

If I missed any I figured the fellers would hammer a peg in the hole. Like I said, my personal favorites are NOE and Accurate, followed by Ace and MP.
    Three or four years ago, I was faced with the difficult problem of not having a suitable mold for any of my 35 caliber rifles. In one fell swoop, I did the unthinkable and added to my inherited mold collection! (gasp! say it isn't so Ethel!)
    On Christmas day I ordered my first mold from Accurate. On my birthday 4 days later I ordered the venerable RCBS 35-200-FN from MidwayUSA.
    The custom Accurate mold got to me before the one from Midway. Exactly 6 days after I had payed via his online website, it was sitting in a nice little package on my doorstep. Unpacking it revealed a wonder of modern machining that caused even my trained and picky eyebrow to elevate half an inch on my forehead. Indeed, it appears the force is strong with this one!

Just tonight I received a similar package from NOE. I literally got goosbumps sliding the gem from its protective packaging. Spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch: yea verily, perfection has entered my home and I am blessed.

Check this out:
    Attachment 114715
    Attachment 114716

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'm due to get a bad mould from Lee one of these days but good ones keep showing up on my mould shelf. Yes, they could be better but for the money they represent a solid value, at least IMHO. I also have several NOE moulds and one from HM2, these guys make moulds that are second to none. I'm getting ready to order (didn't I say that several months ago?) a mould from Tom @ Accurate as I know from trusted friends here his work is nothing short of awesome.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    those brass ones sure are purdy. although seems none of the 6 cav use brass. why is that?

Boolit Grand Master

those brass ones sure are purdy. although seems none of the 6 cav use brass. why is that?
    Two reasons:
    1. weight. If your arms can survive a 1 hour casting session with a brass 6 bore, you are a tougher man than me. (dang, can't type! My left arm got a cramp just thinking about it!)
    2. warpage. One of the Achilles heels of brass. The longer it is, the worse it will want to get janky on you. I've never had a problem with 4 bore's or twice bores (fingers crossed) but I have been warned against going any longer than that.
    (of course this is second hand information from the mold makers and not my personal experience, so YMMV) Like I said, a four bore is all I have the chest hair for.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast