Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: S&W model 669 any good?

Banned

S&W model 669 any good?

Purchased a nice used 669 9mm in stainless the other day. The slide is stainless and the frame is alloy. Have a few questions. Anyone know the date of manufacture on a TAF 4*** serial number? I would assume they are also lead safe? I ordered a 30 round mag that fits the 6900 series and is supposed to fit the 669. Anyone know anything along this line? Also, anyone else have one? Like it ?

Banned
    Called S&W today and talked to a very nice guy that told me the build date of the 669 I bought. Its a 2nd gen born March 1991. He also said a 6900 series mag will work in the 669.

Now to find someone else here on the forum that has one.

Boolit Master

I used to have couple 6906s and 6904. No issues with cast lead bullets. Just test that 30rd mag thoroughly especially if from ProMag/USA, not the best. MecGar or Smith mags are. For leather just find a holster for the 6900 series but watch the trigger guard as there is the hook/round types. Enjoy your new to you pistol

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 08-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one in the mid-80s and carried it for a while. I didn't care for it very much. The "gripping a 2x4" type grip was bothersome to me. A Hogue pull-on grip cover helped a little.

The sights were terrible -- compared to my 3913. It was inaccurate.

It WAS 100% reliable with WW Silvertips -- the load I used in it.

Boolit Mold
    I have owned a couple. Found them to work fine with lead or jacketed bullets. You'll find that the bore is actually sized to saami specs unlike most 9mms. The one I slugged was .354". Model 59 series mags will work. These were carried alot by LEOs back in the da

Boolit Mold
    Wrong button.... anyway they were carried as backups to the officer's primary model 59, 659, or 5906 and the mags would fit the backup too.

Boolit Mold
    The original model 69 did not have a firing pin safety nit sure on the 669....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Found out today the 30 round mag loaded weighs about 2lbs and the gun a hefty 28 oz. The 30 round mag in the gun makes a handful but its so much fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 2nd and 3rd Generation S&W pistols all have locked firing pins that will not promote unintended discharge if the arm is dropped on a hard surface. This spec was a requirement for acceptance by my old agency (and many others).

The S&W metal-framed autopistols of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Generations all handled cast bullets very capably and their barrels had generally close tolerances to SAAMI specs--a trait not always closely adhered to by European makers of 9mm pistols. I used several S&W autopistols in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP from their adoption by my agency in 1987 through the present time. Only recent developments at the S&W company have obliged me to discontinue doing so--the factory (per discussions on S&W Forum) apparently no longer supports these models for service or repair.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.