MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Please help me understand the differences in these dies

Banned

Please help me understand the differences in these dies

Hey guys,

Im new to the swaging thing, been casting a while. I have been looking at the 224 swaging set from bt and corbin and the prices seem to be widely different. The corbin set is $843 and available right now. The BT set is $1400 and change and judging by his sticky likely backordered til the rapture.

My question is, Is one better than the other, and is that difference enough for the cost and wait time.

Im not trying to talk any trash at all, I too am a small business owner. I remember when I ran a one man shop and it seemed like I never got anything done. Heck I have a 7 or 8 man shop now and it feels about the same. So Ive walked many miles in BT shoes. But apples to apples, is it worth putting down a deposit and waiting, or is the corbin set gonna do everything I need done (Im not even sure what I need done, it just seems interesting)

Boolit Man
    I would suggest you do more research. The dies are only part of the equation, the press is also a huge part. Both Corbin setups (Dave & Richard) use dedicated presses compared to BT and others that use reloading presses. Determine what you want from your investment because this is not a cheap hobby. (or those that need it NOW)
    BTW, I'm a RCE fan.

I think the main difference is that BT will be the same guy selling you the dies as is working on the dies, aside from outsourced heat-treatment...from what I understand.

David Corbin is set-up for volume and you will be depending on the systems he has in place to keep control of each of the steps. I'm sure BT still has systems, but he can't delegate any responsibility.

If you've got the money, buy both and keep the ones you like and sell the other. Both products will be unlikely to drop in value over the short-term and quite possibly increase. Steel dies still last a long time for the average hand swager.
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Boolit Master

Having seen bullets made from BTSniper and RCE, the forming of the bases is much superior in the BT dies.
    A bullet base formed square to the bore is vital to accuracy.
    BTs conversion kit uses a threaded ram on the press. The threads can withstand much more heavy use than the slotted (like standard shellholder) ram. The shellholder slot can get compressed making tool change out difficult. Corbin's "S" and "H" series presses have threaded rams.
    BTs dies are nitride coated for a slick interior. Corbins, are steel.
    Corbin makes a four cavity core mold, with adjustable lenght/weight cavities, you mount it to the bench and feed it with a ladle. With cores caught in your container below. Some adjustment is required.
    BT makes a core mold from Lee 6 cavity blanks, but it has 11 cavities, and works with bottom pour pot.
    The weight is non adjustable but comes in the right sizes except for heavy .22 cal, like 75 to 80 grainers.
    BT provides an auto eject system, with Corbin you can use a mallet (very slow process) or buy/build your own auto eject system.
    I compared BTsniper kit to the corbin "R" series dies, except the bullet base observation where I have only used RCE and BTsniper point form dies.
    RCE is Richard Corbin, Dave Corbin's (as in Corbins) brother and former partner.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 08-26-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    i started off just like you... i got frustrated with the long waits times that were to be expected, so i decided to buy a lathe instead and learn how to make my own dies... i successfully made dies for 10mm pistol, .224, and 7mm... and it was a lot of fun!!! i did all this in just over a year, about the same time it might take to wait for these dies... i just bring this up as an option
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Master
    Another thing to consider is that the Corbin brothers are getting on in age and their separate businesses may go with them when they pass.

Banned
    Great info guys, I appreciate it. I didn't realize that the corbins sets required dedicated presses. Thats not likely in the cards, I already have 3 presses on my bench and a lube sizer, I don't know where Id put another. And I sure don't want to expand my reloading area, it already fills half of my office.

I actually bought a lathe a few years back for my business, but my wife is in the Air Force and they moved us and didn't want to move the lathe....so I sold it. Doesn't really matter though, I have 2 businesses, a wife, 2 kids, and the neediest 8 employees in the world. I wouldn't have the time to find the plug on the thing much less learn to use it. I often go months without touching my guns much less my press.

Boolit Master
    Dave Corbin does not require a dedicated swage press. Rce does but you really could buy a grinder stand or something to fit the press.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

The "R" type dies from Corbin, which your quoted the price from, work on a standard reloading press.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Vendor Sponsor

Some great info posted here already and it seems you are asking the right questions. I will reframe from adding any bias opinions or comments but you mentioned your wife is in the Air Force..... You might inquire about any military discounts us swage die providers offer. Ever since I started offering dies it has been my honor to support the members of our armed forces with a discount on all my products. If you wish for more detailed info please feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to help.

I have spoke with many potential customers inquiring about the same sets of dies with the same questions and I have always been able to say, with a great deal of confidence, that you will most likely be pleased with whoever you choose from these three or four choices you mentioned. Don't forget to inquire about Larry Blackmon dies too, there are a few here that I know of making bullets with his dies too.

It is always a good time to get into the hobby of making your own no matter who's dies you choose. Take the first step.... many here can tell you they are glad they did.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 08-27-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Man
    I stand corrected on Dave's R type dies. My bad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Some great info posted here already and it seems you are asking the right questions. I will reframe from adding any bias opinions or comments but you mentioned your wife is in the Air Force..... You might inquire about any military discounts us swage die providers offer. Ever since I started offering dies it has been my honor to support the members of our armed forces with a discount on all my products. If you wish for more detailed info please feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to help.

I have spoke with many potential customers inquiring about the same sets of dies with the same questions and I have always been able to say, with a great deal of confidence, that you will most likely be pleased with whoever you choose from these three or four choices you mentioned. Don't forget to inquire about Larry Blackmon dies too, there are a few here that I know of making bullets with his dies too.

It is always a good time to get into the hobby of making your own no matter who's dies you choose. Take the first step.... many here can tell you they are glad they did.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

A very classy thing to say. Im sure all of the manufacturers do great work, I just really don't know the difference. And thanks for the "discount" offering, but as a small business man myself, I would never ask another for a discount. I intimately know how important cash flow is to guys like us, and Id never ask a small business to lower theirs for my hobby's sake. Where my business is concerned however, it is a VERY different situation!