WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good cheap all-purpose gun

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indianadeerhunter2018 View Post
    I don't know where you live but here 500 s&w is 80 bucks for 20 rounds. 3 boxes of ammo costs as much as the rifle does. And I can't find fired brass, I'd have to buy factory ammo and reuse brass. Since I'm on a pretty tight budget, under 300, I don't have the money for that ammo. And I've never seen a 454 go for less than 500. I've got both barrels for the shotgun, however when my dad got it for me I was 8 and it's the 500c model in 20 ga. I think it's the equavilant of the bantam model now. Anyway, I'm now a foot and a half taller, 100 pounds heavier and it no longer fits me. I'm not selling it though as it was my first gun and it's sentimental.
    Aha! You have both barrels for that 20?
    OK, well how about spending your hard earned dollar on a new set of stocks for that baby? There is no differance in the action after all, and 20 gauge is a serious contender. Not only that, but you have both barrels already.
    I don't know if you are set up to cast, but what I would do if I were you is buy the standard length stock for your shotgun, then recoup the cost by selling the butstock it wears now (which should be pretty easy to do in your area).
    Take the remaining money and use it to bolster your primers, powder, wads, hulls, a mold, and most importantly of all, your lead stash (those baby's drink lead, let me tell ya!)
    When I was your age, I had only a black powder revolver. All my dad's lead was the typical hard-as-diamond bullseye alloy (pretty close to #2) so what I got in the red hornady boxes was the only pure lead on the place. I would dig every one of my round balls out of the dirt so I could melt them down and go at it again, or if they were still close enough to the right size, sometimes I would smash them back round with a pair of pliers and stuff em in that cylinder again.
    Point is, you do what you gotta do and you work with what you've got. Also, I am a gunsmith, and I can tell you that from my point of view, there is actually very little difference in the platforms we use to launch a lead boolit. They all have the same basic shape, and performance comes down to a combination of how much the boomstick weighs and how much your slug weighs and how well you can take care of absorbing the rate of acceleration. Even though I don't work on them, I have to give the nod to the shotgun as being one of the very best methods ever devised by man to get a chunk of lead flying.
    The only drawbacks to a shotgun from a shooting, reloading, and hunting point of view is the limited range (due to trajectory) and the amount of lead it eats. However, anything that falls within the effective range of that gun is dead meat. Period.
    You've heard the old saying that 9mm might expand, but 45 can't get any smaller? Dude! You're chunking a 5/8" diameter slug! Inside 100 yards, that trumps all!

If you get a mold for that gun and educate yourself on the awesomeness of 45-45-10 lube, I think you will be able to find a very accurate load in short order.

That's what I think your should do.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    If it had that much freebore, there's always .357 MAXIMUM brass.....

A handi-rifle in .357 Max, with an extra 20-gauge shotgun barrel, would have worked on 99% of the stuff I killed before I turned 21, and I killed a lot of stuff.
    indianadeerhunter2018
    I don't think it's going to get better than C. Latch's advice.
    I look at both ends of the drain pipe when deciding +-$ status.
    You spend $300+- now for a handi with two barrels(assuming you can find one-read on).
    You use them, things change, you want another bigger, better or just to go in a different direction(think hunting outside of IN even).
    If you have an unaltered handi, you should be able to resell or trade and recoup original cost.
    Extra barrel? Change direction etc again. Sell the barrel recouping original $.
    If you buy and 'adapt/customize' you have limited your potential buying pool in my opinion.
    Look for a 'sleeper' handi. One with an SB2 receiver and a shotgun barrel.
    There are lists of serial number prefixes which detail which receivers were made when
    Not barrel you want? Sell it and use the $ to buy another correct one for your program.
    There were many handi rifle sets sold with only the shotgun barrel and receiver surviving together.
    Again, unaltered extras will sell faster than 'enhanced' one.
    I wish you good luck and a hearty welcome aboard here.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Aha! You have both barrels for that 20?
    OK, well how about spending your hard earned dollar on a new set of stocks for that baby? There is no differance in the action after all, and 20 gauge is a serious contender. Not only that, but you have both barrels already.
    I don't know if you are set up to cast, but what I would do if I were you is buy the standard length stock for your shotgun, then recoup the cost by selling the butstock it wears now (which should be pretty easy to do in your area).
    Take the remaining money and use it to bolster your primers, powder, wads, hulls, a mold, and most importantly of all, your lead stash (those baby's drink lead, let me tell ya!)
    When I was your age, I had only a black powder revolver. All my dad's lead was the typical hard-as-diamond bullseye alloy (pretty close to #2) so what I got in the red hornady boxes was the only pure lead on the place. I would dig every one of my round balls out of the dirt so I could melt them down and go at it again, or if they were still close enough to the right size, sometimes I would smash them back round with a pair of pliers and stuff em in that cylinder again.
    Point is, you do what you gotta do and you work with what you've got. Also, I am a gunsmith, and I can tell you that from my point of view, there is actually very little difference in the platforms we use to launch a lead boolit. They all have the same basic shape, and performance comes down to a combination of how much the boomstick weighs and how much your slug weighs and how well you can take care of absorbing the rate of acceleration. Even though I don't work on them, I have to give the nod to the shotgun as being one of the very best methods ever devised by man to get a chunk of lead flying.
    The only drawbacks to a shotgun from a shooting, reloading, and hunting point of view is the limited range (due to trajectory) and the amount of lead it eats. However, anything that falls within the effective range of that gun is dead meat. Period.
    You've heard the old saying that 9mm might expand, but 45 can't get any smaller? Dude! You're chunking a 5/8" diameter slug! Inside 100 yards, that trumps all!

If you get a mold for that gun and educate yourself on the awesomeness of 45-45-10 lube, I think you will be able to find a very accurate load in short order.

That's what I think your should do.
    I know how to reload shot but I don't know how to reload slugs. Or where to get slugs reloading supplies.

Boolit Grand Master

You can get what you need from any of the links at the top of the forum, MidwayUSA, and Brownells.
    For expertice on how to load slugs in your gun, we have an entire forum "casting for shotguns" that is dedicated to helping people get where they are going, and I dare say we have some of the best here. Pay attention when a member named "longbow" gives you advice.
    There are many others.

Just post a topic in that forum and describe what you want to do, and what you have to work with. The fellers will snap to, and put you on the fast track. You'll be the best shotgun loader in your area in a few months, and it would astound you what is possible. Forget what you think you know about that shotgun. Take a step back and look at it with new eyes. Many people sell the shotgun short, but it can do amazing things, and is capable of very good accuracy if you give due diligence to loading for it with that in mind.
    I personally worked up a round ball load for my 12 gauge cylinder bore that was minute of Copenhagen can at 50 yards, and will shoot straight through a telephone pole and kill a deer standing on the other side. You get your deer steaks with free toothpicks.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

In Remembrance
    I would think you would be wanting to restock your shotgun anyway, just so it fits and you can use it. I do not know what it will cost, but am thinking not a lot.
    I have an idea, you have a fever to get a new (to you) gun, and that is not a bad thing, in fact is pretty normal.
    You mentioned a muzzle loader, you should be able to restock your shotgun and pick up a suitable muzzy for the amount you have to spend and you would be pretty well armed for just about anything a guy wanted to do, and in a lot of states a muzzy can extend your hunting time afield.
    If for some strange reason I had to go back to one gun total, it would probably be a muzzle loader. They are just too easy (and cheap) to load and shoot for pretty much any kind of shooting a guy wants to do.
    The guys that originally opened this country up carried one gun and lived by it, did everything they had to do to survive, of coarse they didn't have 50 different states all with their own idea of what is legal to shoot a rabbit with. lol

Boolit Master
    You may ask around about a buttstock, they are the same as a 12ga., a lot of folks changed out there buttstocks for a tactical model, and just have the old laying about, never hurts to ask. Like Tim said the 20ga. Is a very versatile shotgun, listen to these fellows here, cause there's a ton of knowledge around here. Save up you're money, and you'll find something that you will like, don't take the first thing that comes along, actually that goes for just about everything in life! Have fun and enjoy it!

AnnieOakley
    My husband's brother lives in Indiana so he has thought about this dilemma quite often. This is from him:

It sounds like the most practical choice for your situation is a muzzle loader. I have killed as many deer with a muzzle loader as with any other rifle. If you are only trying to kill one deer at a time, follow-up shots should not be necessary. Repeating rifles are useful when trying to harvest more than one deer at a time. We get unlimited tags in our part of Kentucky. However, being practical can be a little bit boring. A rifle chambered for .357 Herret or .350 Savage should work well.

If I could only buy one rifle for hunting, it would be a muzzle loader. With a muzzle loader you get to spend a lot more time deer hunting because of the extra seasons.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good advice in this thread already so I might not be adding anything. But there is nothing wrong with the handi rifles except the weight like already stated. If you do go that route I would diffidently look at the muzzle loader barrels they offer as well. Since you already have a shotgun I wouldn't bother with a 20 gauge barrel for it. The 50 caliber muzzle loader barrels are fairly accurate and easily scoped.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

that is super advice. My handi muzzleloader barrel was really, really accurate. I shot 300 grain 45 cal LEE home cast bullets with 120 grains of fake powder (American Pioneer, since that is what we had here) and it was more accurate than I was at 50 yards off hand. Iron sights, Barnes yellow sabots. Used 300 WSM brass cut down as a primer carrier and used cheap and easy to find LRM primers (as opposed to purpose-specific 209's)

For what it was, the weight was spot on. It was a beast to shoot, that bullet came out at 2000 fps. Once I added a limbsaver it was quite comfortable to use and struck like the Iron Hand of Mars.

I sold it for no other reason than the fact that it was REALLY difficult to load with that boolit/sabot combo. ZERO accuracy issues and repeatable as all get-out, but the loading process ruined a range day.

For a hunting gun, that's not a problem.

Boolit Master
    Those are some stupid regs. If they're trying to limit maximum range for safety, may as well make it shotgun-only. Only an accomplished marksman/hunter should be hunting deer with a .357 Magnum, even with a rifle. That's asking for wounded deer.

I agree with the .35 Remington choice. If you're a handloader you can put together reduced loads for smaller game. With a switch-barrel, you can add barrels as you can afford them.

I saw mention of a 200-yard max range for the.35 Remington. That's pushing it, IMO, unless you're a very accomplished shot and good at estimating range.

May Liberty Increase!
    If it's just a matter of your current stock is too small, why not get a replacement stock? $85 will get a finished walnut one from Boyd's: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...12833&cat=1225 Then, you're still getting use out of the shotgun Pops bought ya! You may be able to find a cheaper stock, that was just the first one I found. If you've got any interest in wood working, get an unfinished stock (Boyd's has those too, but you may have to call or email them) and then you can make it fit you exactly.

I agree with others that a 22 and a shotgun are all one really needs. These two will also make you a better hunter than most and it will require you to develop patience beyond that of your peers. Neither may be as glorious as the latest and greatest centerfire beauty, but you will be a better hunter because of the limitations of each.

A Marlin Model 60 is a great 22, in my opinion, and they are everywhere. A brand new one at BassPro is $170, but I'll guarantee there are used ones around you for much cheaper.

A 22 and a shotgun will certainly cover the basics for the remainder of your life, not that you won't end up with a room full one day.....

Best of luck! Let us know what you wind up with.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Banner Sponsor

Hello, I realize that I'm kind of late to the discussion, but...
    I don't know if you are aware of these guys, but for shotgun loading supplies and data, this is an excellent place to look:
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

You can buy new primed hulls for fairly cheap,
    $13/100 http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fio...tinfo/0642021/
    wads are cheap
    $7.30/250 http://www.ballisticproducts.com/16-.../products/660/
    and if you get into casting or know someone who does, then you could cast your own slugs. They also have 20ga slugs to buy, but at $17/25 I'd find a way to cast my own.

You don't need a shotgun loading press to load with. There is the Lee Loader you can find them from $20-30. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-20ga...item4adc7c6f4f

They also make a roll crimping tool that works great for holding slugs, or shot with an overshot wad, inplace. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ori...ctinfo/ROLL20/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roll12text.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	116847

But this is only if you decide to look at loading your own shotgun shells.

The 44 mag Handi Rifle sounds like a great option. You can find them on Gunbroker for around $260-280. With the cost of factory ammo, casting and loading your own for the 44mag is still a great idea.

Boolit Buddy
    hi, i must agree with several of the above posts. my standard advise to the one gun question is a 12 ga pump gun with two barrels. small game/bird barrel and a rifle slug barrel. nothing in north america you cant kill with the right loads. during the fall sales you can find a mossberg combo with scope for a little less than 300 bucks. all that said, i lean toward a 20ga now, with new slug technology a 20ga is more than enough for a whitetail. BUT if waterfowl is in your future stick with the 12. now on to muzzleloaders..........i hunt with a .54cal flintlock. i carry that gun for pa whitetail and bear and can hunt all seasons any where in the state. if you go that route, hunt like a bowhunter. my shots have been from 15ft to 60 yds. find some old grey haired fart that has common sense and experience, pick his brains. any one of us would be delighted to help you. this tradition needs new blood to survive. good luck to you sir. irishtoo

Boolit Master
    You can make 35 Rem cases from 30/06 cases

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    You can make 35 Rem cases from 30/06 cases
    I believe that the base of the 35 Rem is smaller than the 30-06 case.
    The 35 Rem base is .458" while the 06' case is .470"
    Or can you swage the 06' case down that far in a single stage press with lots of lube?

But there is 35 Rem brass on GunBroker:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...s=35+rem+brass
    Last edited by lar45; 09-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Boolit Master

wow. At 70 cents a pop I would be testing 06 brass to see if my bolt picked up the rim anyways.
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 09-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Just my 2 cents I live in Delaware Shotgun only state for deer (yes we can use muzzle loader and recently got a handgun season) I have a H&R 12ga slug gun that has taken deer at 185yrds ( on the range finder ) you already have a shotgun capable enough for deer restocking to fit you would be a small chunk of your budget then I would look to a Handi rifle in a varmint caliber ie 223, 204, 22-250, 243 or the like and you would have a platform for any caliber you want to add later for the price of a barrel and you can load for your varmint gun and shoot more and still keep you slug gun for deer and only buy what you need to site in and hunt with
    Tony

Boolit Master
    With the correct components you could load 20 gauge slugs for cheap. A 54 cal. minie (or 50-I forget which) will slip into a winchester wad/hull and a small charge of red dot and a standard star crimp will make a round that you could shoot in your rifled barrel. All you'd need is a Lee minie mold and some lead.

I made my first cast boolits for a Zouave 58 cal smokepole. Melted plumbers lead in an inexpensive cast iron Lyman pot and a propane torch.

There's a member here Hubel458 he has sabots you can buy to make your own saboted 20 gauge slugs.
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 10-23-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Perma-Banned
    you can get the .357 or .35rem or .44mag handi-rifle now for yer deer needs then save yer nickels & a little later on pick up a .223 or .22hornet barrel for it. you already have yer Mossberg 500 for yer shotgun needs.

Boolit Master
    Handi rifle. Those who own them report it is the rifle which goes with them into the field.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast