Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good cheap all-purpose gun

Good cheap all-purpose gun

I'm 14, so I can't afford to own a shotgun, rim fire, and a centerfire. I'm looking for an all purpose gun. I hunt deer, coyotes, foxes, whistlepigs, squirrels, rabbits, coons, and possums. For around $300 dollars, what's a good all purpose gun? I own a 500 slug gun, but I like to shoot and sabot slugs are expensive. I live in Indiana, so there are some strict regs for deer(min. Case length 1.16", min. Bullet diameter .357, max case length of 1.8") I was thinking about the 357 mag handi rifle, but heard there was like a half inch gap of "freebore" before the bullet even contacted the lands. Will this effect the accuracy?

Boolit Master

If it had that much freebore, there's always .357 MAXIMUM brass.....

A handi-rifle in .357 Max, with an extra 20-gauge shotgun barrel, would have worked on 99% of the stuff I killed before I turned 21, and I killed a lot of stuff.

Boolit Master

If you're on this site, then I assume you cast and/or reload or have access to someone who does. The long throat on the Handi-Rifles is not a detriment to handloaders because it gives you a wider range of bullets that can be used in it, specifically long, heavy ones. Also, a Handi-Rifle is not limited to flat nose bullets often associated with calibers used in lever guns. I'm familiar with Indiana's laws concerning deer hunting and it does not exclude bottleneck cartridges as long as they meet the case length and caliber requirements. Though a .357 would do fine, a 35 remington or .358 winchester would also do if you can find one and give you a little more punch. You would have to trim the cases to legal length, though. Load any of them down for small/ medium game. None of the 35 caliber or larger rifles will give you super high velocities and bowstring flat trajectories like a varmint caliber which would be ideal for your coyotes, but you are going to have to make some concessions if you can only get one rifle. And I do hope you have a field barrel for that Mossy. Then you can shoot all the small game and birds you want.

Boolit Master
    Indy -

Howdy !

I lived in NE Indiana for my first 55yr.

I DK at what ranges you might be shooting coyotes, foxes, and groundhogs at; but......

A top break CVA centerfire rifle in .222, .223; or .22-250 could fill the bill on the small animals, with consideration given to max appropriate ranges; of course.
    You'd use something else, on Indiana deer.

Whether you reload your own ammo, and can get the cases you need; is also a valid consideration that can influence which rifle you'll buy.

Perhaps an off-the wall idea:
    - Get a CVA .35Rem ( stainless or blue ).
    - Shoot fore-shortened .35Rem cases, to be legal on Indiana deer ( .35 Rem w/ a short neck ).
    - Use pistol bullets w/ the .35 Rem on the smaller animals, and..... just don't over-do on engagement range.
    - You can shoot swaged lead 175 & 195gr SPTBs pulled from "Dead Center" .45cal saboted muzzle loader rounds.
    These mic right @ .350", so can be shot " patched " from a .35 Rem.

I had a .357Max H & R SB2 " Ultra Rifle ", and it too had excess freebore in the barrel ( IMHO ).

With regards,
    357Mag

Quote Originally Posted by 357Mag View Post

I DK at what ranges you might be shooting coyotes, foxes, and groundhogs at; but......
    Under 200 yards

Boolit Master

Welcome to the site, I do not have the answer you are looking for, but some one will.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

On Heaven's Range

I don't really have your answer, either.

However, I DO want to compliment you on both your powers of expression, and your ability to define and express your rquirements!

I'm sure that many others here are equally-impressed with your obvious capabilities.

A question for you:

Do all your needs HAVE to be served by one gun? I note that you have the shotgun, but from your post I get the impression that you hope for all other functions to be performed by just one more firearm. At your age and with limited resources, I certainly understand if that's the case.

I believe there's a distinct chance that we on this website might be able to help you out; we've done a variety of things for other deserving members in the past.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

I have a partial answer for sure, having owned a 357 mag handi, with the mile-long throat, then reaming it out to 357 max, shortening to 16", rasping up the palletwood stock, and more.

Mine, even after conversion to 357 max, was quite accurate shooting 38 specials. Do not concern yourself with jump. If yours is not accurate with 38 special, the problem lay somewhere else (boolit choice, powder, loading practice, etc etc etc.) Furthermore, the price is so low that it's a great project rifle. Low stress to take the hacksaw to the barrel. Reamers can be rented for $20. parts are ubiquitous and cheap.

Here's why I sold the rifle. It's heavy. There is ALOT of metal In the barrel. Mine was over 8 pounds even after cut to 16 inches. Not so handy to cart around. I don't live in Indiana, but when I don't mind carrying around 8 lb of rifle, it's because it has a scope attached, carries more than one round at the ready, is loaded to 65ksi, etc. The 357 maxi handi should weigh under 6 lb.

And it is in that spirit I suggest you look for a different firearm. If the weight does not mean anything to you (and I don't mean to lug around, but the principle of the issue for a gun designed to fire a 357), then you should definitely keep the handi rifle on your short list.

And make sure it is an SB2 frame, so you can, any time you wish, put any available barrel on the frame should you wish.

mine before foreend thinning:
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 08-27-2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Thanks seaboltm!

Boolit Master

I think you mean SB2 frame, Whiterabbit. I think an SB2 in .223 and an extra barrel in 44 magnum will cover your needs. Indiana regs call for a rifle .35 caliber OR LARGER. Larger is better. The 44 magnum is far superior to the .357 magnum for hunting, especially when the range gets over 50 yards and the deer start to get over 150 pounds. Not saying the .357 won't get the job done, so don't flame me guys, but a 240 grain 44 magnum bullet is definitive. The .223 barrel will cover your smaller game hunting needs. If I could pick only one barrel, it would be the 44 magnum.

Boolit Master

Holy smokes, you are right, and that is a BIG mistake on my part. SB2! SB2! SB2! I'll edit the post to reflect that.

Moderator Emeritus

Savage mod 24 double barrel (over/under) combination gun.
    I have one in 222 on top of a 20ga.
    there are many caliber combinations.
    http://www.realitysurvival.com/savag...24-gun-review/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I thought those were anything but cheap these days?

I'd go for the 35 Remington for kills on deer out to 200 yds. It kills everything, hard! My son shoots his across swamps at 250-300 yards. I keep telling him it's not a long range cartridge and he'll just shoot another buck across the swamp. He just don't listen to reason! Learn the holdover for your ranges and gun/load combination. Good luck on you!

Lots of good advice here. the .35 Rem is a wonderful cartridge but it already has a very short neck. Chopping a tenth of an inch off will not improve it any and I would worry about how well it would shoot. If deer are the objective, I would be inclined to recommend the .44 over the .35 Rem. Brass is much easier to find too.

Regarding your basic question, may I encourage you to hold off buying some cheap gun to "get by with." Your shot gun will take any big game in the country, even here in North Dakota where the country is wide open and you will shoot a lot more small game throughout the year. Save up to buy a good quality rifle in a caliber like .223. It will cover all bases you have indicated except deer. I bet you could get $400.00 together over winter and find a good rifle in the spring. Don't turn your nose up at a used rifle; the only brand new rifle I ever bought was a lemon. If you still want a larger caliber rifle next year, repeat the save up routine and find something that is a keeper.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by indianadeerhunter2018 View Post
    I'm 14, so I can't afford to own a shotgun, rim fire, and a centerfire. I'm looking for an all purpose gun. I hunt deer, coyotes, foxes, whistlepigs, squirrels, rabbits, coons, and possums. For around $300 dollars, what's a good all purpose gun? I own a 500 slug gun, but I like to shoot and sabot slugs are expensive. I live in Indiana, so there are some strict regs for deer(min. Case length 1.16", min. Bullet diameter .357, max case length of 1.8") I was thinking about the 357 mag handi rifle, but heard there was like a half inch gap of "freebore" before the bullet even contacted the lands. Will this effect the accuracy?
    Since you already have a 44 Mag you are covered for deer
    I already own a 44 mag rifle I am just looking for a rifle that has better accuracy and farther range. .
    The 357 will get you nothing over the 44. Get a smoothbore barrel for your 500 and a 223 for coyotes, foxes, whistlepigs, squirrels, rabbits, coons, and possums. An over 35 Cal. deer gun is usually not a good choice for squirrels and rabbits. The 223 can be downloaded for squirrels.

Boolit Bub
    Don't forget the cost of ammo, and if I'm reading you right, you don't sound like a guy who will shoot at game without practice. Unless you are going to handload everything, that's kind of a big deal. I'm with the others who say don't try it all with one gun. I always recommend a .22lr in the same action that you'll take larger game with. It will hone your skills without breaking the bank or your shoulder, even at the currently inflated prices (and I think that's almost over. Hope so anyway). That .22 will take a lot of small game too. Then I personally would stay with a common caliber like a .270 or .30-06 for the deer. THEN as the cash allows, start looking at adding to your collection with whatever suits your fancy.

As for your budget, that's good thinking. You may find both for that (or close, anyway), if you're willing to buy used, not necessarily pretty, and wait for the deal. Use armslist or something like it if it's in your area. Gun auctions sometimes give a good deal, if you know how to tell the difference between used and wall-hanger. If you have to save a little longer to get a reliable gun, do it. And, if you aren't comfortable with being sure whether a gun is in good mechanical shape, get some help from someone you trust when you go to look at it, you don't need a junker.

I applaud your efforts. I also like the fact that you're asking for help. That shows wisdom some of us couldn't have found with a map and a mag-lite when we were your age.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Don't forget the cost of ammo, and if I'm reading you right, you don't sound like a guy who will shoot at game without practice. Unless you are going to handload everything, that's kind of a big deal. I'm with the others who say don't try it all with one gun. I always recommend a .22lr in the same action that you'll take larger game with. It will hone your skills without breaking the bank or your shoulder, even at the currently inflated prices (and I think that's almost over. Hope so anyway). That .22 will take a lot of small game too. Then I personally would stay with a common caliber like a .270 or .30-06 for the deer. THEN as the cash allows, start looking at adding to your collection with whatever suits your fancy.

As for your budget, that's good thinking. You may find both for that (or close, anyway), if you're willing to buy used, not necessarily pretty, and wait for the deal. Use armslist or something like it if it's in your area. Gun auctions sometimes give a good deal, if you know how to tell the difference between used and wall-hanger. If you have to save a little longer to get a reliable gun, do it. And, if you aren't comfortable with being sure whether a gun is in good mechanical shape, get some help from someone you trust when you go to look at it, you don't need a junker.

I applaud your efforts. I also like the fact that you're asking for help. That shows wisdom some of us couldn't have found with a map and a mag-lite when we were your age.
    .270 and.30-06 aren't legal for deer, our deer regs suck. We can use pistol caliber rifles or wildcat rounds that are less than 1.8" case length bigger bullet than .357". So I can't even buy a 30-30 or 308 and trim brass; minimum wildcatted rifle round would be the 1.8" 35 remington but I can't get ammo anywhere.

Welcome aboard IDH.

Boolit Grand Master

.270 and.30-06 aren't legal for deer, our deer regs suck. We can use pistol caliber rifles or wildcat rounds that are less than 1.8" case length bigger bullet than .357". So I can't even buy a 30-30 or 308 and trim brass; minimum wildcatted rifle round would be the 1.8" 35 remington but I can't get ammo anywhere.
    Cabelas has 35 Rem in stock http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104532480

Boolit Bub
    Wow, that does stink. Not sure what their thinking might be there. You probably already have this, but I found a list of what seem to be accepted common rounds, I've copied it below. If I had to buy a rifle in one of those, it would probably be in .44 mag, or in .45lc. That may well impact your budget a bit, and perhaps your timing as well. Wildcats are great, but like I said, unless you intend to load everything by hand, I'd stick with the rounds you can more easily find for your base guns.

.357 Magnum
    .357 Maximum
    .357/44 Bain & Davis
    10mm Magnum
    .38-40 (.38 WCF)
    .41 Magnum
    .44-40 (.44 WCF)
    .44 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .445 Super Mag
    .45 Colt
    .45 Winchester Magnum