MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My .357 H&R

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    That's awesome.

How much was the stock set?
    I dunno. I traded for it. One the cool cats here on Castboolits had it and offered it for a mold I had listed. I snatched it up with a quickness.

In Remembrance

I recently did the max rechambering and love it!
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-cent...ed-why-bother/

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Just got my new .357 Handi, it joins a .308 and a 30-30, these little rifles are very easy to work with and as has been said shoot better than they should for the price. my.357 shoots minute of beer can at one hundred yards and recoil is like a pellet gun would like to keep it as mag instead of max but I swear there is no bottom to that chamber. I haven't cast the chamber but every boolit I have in.358 will seat in the M-Die step and still not make land. Whats up with all this freebore Im lucky in this rifle is the SB2 so if I cant find a verrrrry long boolit I like out to Max it goes GP

In Remembrance

Mike Bellm has alot of info on loading "long" for that rifle.
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=658&
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master
    Playing with a Lyman 358430 now. Snagged a nice one from a member here.
    I can ALMOST get to the throat with it.....almost.

Offer me an opinion here. Reckon running only one filled lube groove will be okay here? I ain't none too keen on exposed lube and i can only get one lube groove in there.

Seating depth is pretty much the same as the 35-200 only this one has more bearing surface.
    I'm gonna run the same 13.0g of 4198 w/ a small rifle primer. It did so well with the 35-200, maybe this one will too. One way to find out.

Dean: I just ordered a new Handi that has both a 444 marlin and a 35rem barrels, mostly wanted the 35 as our boolit experiments with the 357s are leading to longer, heavier boolits. Will watch this thread with interest, just trying to get double down bang for the buck here. As an aside, I will have to slug the barrel of the 444 when it arrives but am hopeful that my Saeco#61444 44-40 mould that drops .428-.429 plus powder coat will get me to a light for cal. 444 maybe with Trail Boss. GP

Boolit Master
    Put my new Magnetospeed Chrono to use today.

Kinda surprised by the results.
    RP mickel brass, Wolf small rifle primer
    RCBS 35-200 w/ Bens red

2400 powder 12.0g gave an average of 1327
    13.0g gave an average of 1458

4198 powder
    13.0g ave = 1012
    13.5 = 1048
    14.0 = 1078

not much increase for the amount of powder and 13.0g shoots MUCH better groups and doesn't leave the barrel full of black smoke.

Boolit Master
    The 358430 is a great mold and a great boolit.....but not for this rifle. I just finished cleaning out a pretty nasty vein of lead in my barrel. Ohh well, They're gonna make some really fun subsonic loads for .38 special in a Rossi Lever gun.

The RCBS 35-200 is it (for me). I'm planning on trying lots of other powders but 13.0g of 4198 sure does do well. For all the bad luck others have said they have had, I've been pleased with mine.

Like the moron I am, I went to the range this weekend and forgot my shooting rest. Had to make do with a blanket. That's what I'm gonna blame the horizontal stringing on.
    Reckon I need to adjust my scope over a bit. I don't usually make scope adjustments while working on loads but I like this one. Might be time to zero in on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12