MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duty Belt suggestion

Love Life

Duty Belt suggestion

I'm trying to put together my Batman utility belt, but I need help in picking out the foundation...the belt.

I've worn the standard issue quick release pistol belt in pretty austere situations, but I was looking for something a little less "Look at me!!" and that accepts normal holsters and magazines. Not many out there for belts that are 2.25" wide.

So, that being said, I am looking for a duty belt to be worn over the belt and pants I already have on. I want a belt that will easily hold a full size pistol, 3 magazines, a dump pouch, a flashlight pouch/w light, and maybe a small 1st aid kit.

Belts I saw that tickle my fancy are marketed heavily towards law enforcement as duty belts, and knowing we have many law enforcement members on the forum, I would like to ask opinions on what was your preferred duty belt and why.

To the Police who have worn duty belts and depended on them, which belt did you prefer, and why?

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to wear leather for a duty belt. Here in humid central, it would get soaked through and add to my general discomfort. Switched to nylon ( or whatever the synthetic stuff was) and was happy with them. Now I wear a tool belt ( leather again) from Harbor Freight for my hunting rig.

Not sure if you're set on leather but Hi Speed Gear makes quality stuff. I know a couple guys who use this in the run and gun games and it holds up.

http://www.highspeedgear.com/belts.html

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a nylon rig for the last 28 years after dumping leather. I work in and near the river and in 100 degree weather in the summer and I got tired of trying to dry leather rigs. I don't reccommend you cheap out i use Safariland velcro inner and outer belts with complete satisfaction.

I always wore a Sam Brown leather belt, no underbelt. I'm a little old fashion. I just always liked leather and polished it too.... but then I spit shined my shoes also. I like tradition.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    The nylon rig, that accepts a Velcro inner belt locks everything in place.

Love Life
    Thank you for the suggestions. Right now I am looking at a synthetic material as I have had a leather belt stretch over time with less weight on it.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago when I was in uniform, my rig was assembled on the traditional Sam Brown basket weave design leather belt. They're very durable, but don't come off quickly or easily.

Hi Speed Gear does make good stuff. I have one of their holsters.

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 08-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Love Life
    I actually have this one in mind after some searching: http://www.spectergear.com/ProductDe...e=107&CartID=1

I wore one of their rigger's belts for years and it is still a very solid belt. I just want the quick release buckle-ish for the purpose of this belt. Funny how I didn't even check them out until near the end of my searching today!!

Now I need to get a dedicated holster and mag pouches for this belt for my Glock 21.

Often times I prefer a set up batman belt over a vest or some such. This way I can snap it on quick at night and it is great for range use and loafing around as well.

I looked real hard at the High Speed Gear and had grand designs for a fully decked out padded combat belt combo, but that might be a bit more than I want as I have a couple of load bearing vests hanging around I could pimp out if I wanted.

I reckon this belt will be a "Honey! I heard a noise!" throw the belt on and go type of thing. Geez, I feel like gecko45.

Boolit Grand Master

I used Safariland nylon/velcro for bike duty but preferred the old school Sam Browne style for regular duty. The nylon is very sturdy and rigid, actually a very good platform for a duty rig.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    I thank all of you for your input as it has helped guide my decision. I will post my set up when I get it completed.

Dick: I converted all of my pistol holding stuff to duty belts a few years ago. Everytime I get a new pistol that I am going to shoot in IDPA I buy and Uncle Mikes XL duty belt for <$20 and a set of Bianchi belt holders that strap the outer belt to my pants belt.

I mount my Bladetech Kydex Holsters, mag holders and dump bag on this belt and put everything into a Lowes $12.95 12" tool bag, to keep everything for that gun together. It has ammo and everything I need to shoot that gun, and is a grab and go type of thing.

I can change from one gun to another in a matter of a minute or so. It takes the most time to get the belt hold straps back on using only one hand. I got sick of having to unthread my belt to put my mag holder and holsters on and then again to take them off. Almost lost my pants more than once.

I can be out of these in less than a minute.

Here's a pic of the rig for my S&W 696, and my Glock 35 in the bag and G21.

No need to spend lots for this stuff, the Uncle Mikes stuff is good quality and will last for years and is cheap to replace if needed. I got my last belt (for the 696) from Optics Planet and I think it was $12.95! They have a lot of shooting accessories available for a lot less than local retailers and no tax and no shipping most of the time seals the deal.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-01-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Love Life
    Randy- Thank you for that great info. That is exactly the kind of set up I want. A grab and go set up or what I call my "Can't find my pants in the middle of the night" set up.

I went with this belt: http://www.spectergear.com/searchresults.asp?cat=61

I used one of their rigger belts on multiple deployments and was satisfied. The Tac ops belt did not dissapoint. It is thick, stiff, holds my gear securely, and I can upgrad it with a padded belt if I want.

I picked this for a holster and it came with one mag carrier: http://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/OSH.html I picked a combo deal up from BOTACH. The holster is lightweight and holds the gun securely. It has adjustable tension so you can decide how hard it holds the gun. I set it to when I hold the belt upside down with the unloaded gun in the holster and shake the stank out of it, the gun stays secure. The mag pouch also has adjustable tension.

Right now I am looking for a good double mag pouch (IMI is in the running right now) and that will complete my set up for the gun.

A flashlight pouch for my mag light is next to be ordered.

For my gun, I installed these sights: http://flatlineops.com/products/sigh...ck-speed-sight

Everything is coming along well with the ninja belt. You can already feel safer in malls across the country...

Dick: It looks like you're up and running. As far as mag pouches are concerned I have several types both Kydex and fabric. My only criteria is that they don't clamp onto the mags too hard and are easy to get the mags out of.

When you doing a quick mag change the last thing you want to have to deal with is a mag pouch that won't let go of the mag.

They also need to be easy to put mags into, as you are generally going to do it by feel. If you are like me you can't see the pouch over your belly so "by feel" is the order of the day.

Most all of the Kydex pouches are adjustable so you can dial in the amount of clamping pressure that suits you.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Love Life
    Randy: I'm getting there and I appreciate all the input. I will be looking at the Uncle Mikes belt and a blade tech holster and mag pouches for when I put together a belt for the Mrs. (she wants to compete).

I picked up a double mag holder from blade tech. I reckon 1 13rd magazine in the gun and 3 on the belt should take care of any issue I could possibly be in.

Right now I am looking at getting a pair of range bags and these are really looking good:
    http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/pro...ium-range-bag/

Boolit Master

Look on Gall's for a nylon duty belt. Frankly I hate the velcro systems and eventually switched to keepers. Yes, keepers are a pain. But I eventually migrated to a garrison belt under a Gall's nylon duty belt with keepers. Had a leather rig because one agency I worked for required leather. Used it with the same garrison belt and keepers. Much prefer nylon duty gear. Two magazines are sufficient, unless maybe you are into the single stack 45 thing. I always had the mentality that the ammo in my duty sidearm and the extra magazines were there in order to get me back to my car, where a Remington 12 gauge was waiting right next to an AR-15. Keep in mind it is real easy to get a duty belt real, real heavy. Two or three pairs of cuffs, ASP, magazines, sidearms, lights. It adds up quick. Especially if you are on your feet for a long time or if you have to be on the move.

Love Life
    I plan to keep it as light as possible with 3 loaded mags, gun, flashlight, and a drop bag. I may or my not add a small 1st aid kit, but people will be making fun of me at the range as it stands.

Dick: since I have several guns that I use in competition I have several range bags. I just go to Lowes and buy the 12" tool bags they sell. If I need room for more stuff, like for my range bag for sighting in guns I buy the 16" ones. The small one is $12.95 and the big one is $19.95.

I refuse to pay $50-100 for a "Range Bag" that is only going to carry your stuff and won't do it any better than a simple tool bag will.

The Green one is my primary with the G35 and all range gear, it goes with me everytime I go to shoot anywhere that way I always have my glasses and ear protection and the G35 and ammo, tools, pills, sunblock etc.

The blue one is for the G21 and has everything except the safety gear.

The Yellow one is for the .44 Revolver and has everything for that gun, and the little one is a new smaller one I just got to house my CZ82's. It was only $10.

The large one in the back of the photo is all of my sighting in tools generally only goes when I am sighting in a rifle.

I got less than $70 in all of these and that Green one is 12 years old.

At least go to a Lowes and look at these before you spend big $ for a Range Bag. I don't particularly like the ones from Home Depot as they don't have many pockets in them. The ones from Lowes have plenty for anything you'd want to carry, and the green one has 8 loaded mags ready to grab lined up in the pockets on just one side. The other side has tools etc. Pockets outside have pills, sunblock, towelettes, Earplugs, and napkins. Don't forget a supply of McDonalds Napkins! You never know when you're going to have to Wipe something!

Randy

Love Life
    I will go to Lowes and check those tool bags out. Thank you for the info!!

Next up is to get a duty belt set up for the Mrs.

I like the Spec ops belt so far and have the ability to upgrade it into a super ninja belt.

I am having much fun with this. I have had to change tack since moving from Nevada to here. I have taken to carrying my plastic fantastic pistols more due to the environment, a duty belt to facilitate quick in and out of my "Rig" (calling your set up a "rig" makes you lame...I am ashamed.) as I transition from wandering a swamp back to my vehicle, and I shoot much more pistol now.

My goals with the super ninja batman mall protector belt is to have a grab and go item that has everything I need to bring the ruckus in case of a bump in the night, an easy way to move my gun and mags around on the public range, a grab and go item for road trips through large urban areas, a grab and go item for when I want to go explore swamps but may need to blast an alligator or pig right in the face.

I have a dedicated CCW set up that has holster and loaded mags in it, and now I have the ninja belt that has a holster and 4 loaded mags on tap at all times.

Mmmm, mmmmm, good.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post

I am having much fun with this. I have had to change tack since moving from Nevada to here.
    Dick: Where is "here?"

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast