Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hollow Point Casting Technique

Boolit Bub
    QUESTION? with cast hollow point bullets made of linotype being a hard alloy will they expand as a hollow point should, or will they just penetrate the game and not expand like a regular hp would could someone explain this to me as i am new to casting my own bullets

I know this thread is a little old, but still pertinent. I got a Lyman Devistator the other day, can't wait to try it out. The boolit itself is reputed to have excellent expansion. I beieve it was designed around the fact that so many people these days use straight WW for casting.

Hope this helps.
    -T

PS Kevin are you getting all this?

Quote Originally Posted by jefats View Post
    Maybe this is a bit off topic but......with hollow points, can you get an accurate BHN using the LBT tester by turning the bullet upside down? That's the only way I can see you can do the testing.

Thanks all
    Not reliably. You can file the base smooth & try, but I use any solid mold & throw a bullet or two just for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but still pertinent. I got a Lyman Devistator the other day, can't wait to try it out. The boolit itself is reputed to have excellent expansion. I beieve it was designed around the fact that so many people these days use straight WW for casting.

Hope this helps.
    -T

PS Kevin are you getting all this?
    I have the 45acp & 44mag Dev. molds. They will expand w/ straight WW, but in a very narrow vel. window. You'll have better results w/ 50/50 mix of tape & clip ww or clip ww & pure lead. Cast 50/50, the 45 comes out a bit over 200gr, which is better IMO, & expands well @ 800fps-about 875fps. Then the nose starts to blow off.

You're saying mix half tape weights and half clip weights? Actually thats about how it comes, I get a bucketfull at a time from my local tire shop. I didn't realize they were made of different alloys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
    You're saying mix half tape weights and half clip weights? Actually thats about how it comes, I get a bucketfull at a time from my local tire shop. I didn't realize they were made of different alloys.
    Yep, the tape wts. are almost pure lead, very soft. The clip ww have antimony to harden them & a tiny bit, if any tin. Mixed together, they can be water dropped to get them back close to where straight clip ww are. Cast 50/50 for LHP & they expand pretty well w/ little leading to 1200fps.

hey having this thread in two different forums is problematic

[QUOTE=ra_balke;330695]If your bullets are not filling out...

I've found that pouring fast and at a slight angle along with rapidly tapping the corner of the mold while the sprue is still barely cooled helps to fill any voids. I use a wooden 'bat' that is about 12" X 2" at the business end and I tap gently and rapidly. It seems to have cured my problem.

Boolit Master

I'm going with Glen on this one...especially with a big volume single cavity like the 454484. Cast as fast as you can and dump the bullet. In about ten casts the pin will heat up. Then you can slow down a bit. Throw one, wait until the sprue frosts, turn and remove pin and drop bullet, repour and repeat. Do this unless the sprue plate starts to smear. If that happens, clean and drop back on your casting rate just a tad. Might go with sprue frosting and count 1-2-3 and then drop. Once you get the rhythm, you'll get well filled out bullets and the pin will remove very easily. Then, you know you're stashing away some bullets./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123