Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Hawken with period type scope

Boolit Man

Hawken with period type scope

Here is a project that I have been playing with. Rifle is a TC Hawken - 45 cal percussion. Scope is a Navy Arms 4 X 15. Mounts are shop made from scratch (not by me) and resemble early type mounts. Setting the rifle up to shoot TC maxi's over 85 grains of 2F. Scope is mounted over the centerline of the bore and the hammer clears the scope. Peep will be removed - still doing fit up on the scope. Scope has screw in brass lens caps at each end. Looking forward to finishing it and sighting it in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2299.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	114384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2300.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	114385

Boolit Master
    That is just too cool! I fixed one up in 1992 like this, also put an Unertl on a 45/90 rolling block I built. Thanks for sharing, and if you want rid of that Peep sight give me a pM!

Boolit Man
    Koger,
    Thanks for the reply. The peep is going to move to my 54 Renegade.

man now you went and did it ... i always wanted a MLer with a scope mounted and yours is a inspiration. it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone for me ;

1- the stupid stock is just too high with open sights for me as it smacks my cheek very unceremoniously with every shot and after just a few shots my cheek is tender and ready to stop shooting way before i am ... the scope mounted high like that would allow me to get a decent cheek weld without having to bear down on the stock to see the sights.

2- the other bird would be my eye sight. it is diminished with my detached retina so the scope would be a welcome addition to my confidence in the rifle and its accuracy.

thanks a million for posting this. it may be my next addition to my muzzle loaders.

Boolit Man
    bigted,
    Started this because my 71 year old eyes don't work like they did when I was 18. These scopes often come up on ebay and gunbroker at a decent price. The Leatherwood ones with the externally adjusted mounts are quite expensive. Field of view is small but I long ago gave up trying long shots offhand! Good luck and I hope you try it.

Perma-Banned

Frank, I like it. Time to go play.

Boolit Master
    Nice to see it put to good use.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Great job, I have been toying with doing the same thing for about 3 years now, you inspire me to actually do it NOW!
    Look twice, shoot once.

In Remembrance
    Glad to know I am not the only one whose muzzle loader boxes my cheek at every pull of the trigger.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ya know, a rasp takes care of a lot of that cheek whacking. I've adjusted quite a few stocks for people so they were pleasant to shoot. Rasp a little, try the fit, rasp a bit more, when it feels good, sand and refinish.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    HA HA I cured my cheek whacking the easy simple way. I just adjusted the powder measure a little.lol I have seen pictures of your stock work, afraid if I tried it, I would be ashamed to show anybody what I did. lol

oh come now ... somebody else has GOT to have a scoped GPR, GPH, RENEGADE or HAWKINS to photo and share. targets would be nice to see as well.

Boolit Bub
    Heres mine not the best picture but the only one that I have at the moment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	458388_195845757192825_1759204595_o.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	115292

Boolit Master
    Who sell scopes as that?
    Fly

leatherwood, MVA, seems like another company as well. leatherwood scopes are the least expensive for a good glass ... the mounts are a bit crummy but if you sight in and leave em alone ... they work well enough.

i put an old Lyman 3/4 scope on mine and when i get some pic's ill post em here for view.

you can get em on fleabay as well as the bid auction places like gunstroker.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I think Leatherwood is the most common brand of those long 3/4" scopes today. Midway shows one for 267.00 shipping included. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...ProductFinding
    Not bad, but might require taller specialized mounts similar to those shown in the OP.

The brass scope shown in the OP is one of those that started showing up in the mid-late 1970s. IIRC and CRS notwithstanding, I seem to remember they were about 79.00 at that time. As stated, Navy Arms was one of the distributors but I have no idea who made them.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 09-03-2014 at 08:48 PM.

i believe Tasco at one time built a brass body long scope but that has been awhile ago.

Boolit Man
    Tasco and Navy Arms imported these from Japan many years ago. Navy Arms units had rough cast brass mounts that looked like plumbers fittings. Illness has kept me from finishing this but maybe in the spring I will get it done and post some pics of target results.