Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Wideners

Thread: The New Ares SCR

Boolit Mold

The New Ares SCR

This is a new kind of US made semi-auto rifle that just started selling last week. I was just about to buy me a Ruger Mini-14 when I heard about this. Thought I might give it a try.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ares SCR.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	114349

The SCR stands for Sport Configurable Rifle and is a 5.56/223 NATO caliber. The carbine model has a 16.25" 4140 Cromolly black anodized barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. The barrel does not appear to be chrome lined and has a standard (non-threaded) crown. My rifle came with a Magpul two-piece hand guard and synthetic stock and I believe this is the only current option. The rifle ships with one five-round magazine but is said to accept any AR15/16 magazine. The mag release button is located about two-inches forward of the trigger guard. A push-button safety is located on the rear of the trigger guard. The rifle weighs in at 5.7 pounds.

Name:	SCR BCG.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	114350
    Field stripping the rifle involves pressing the usual takedown and pivot pins. The Charging Handle is standard. The Bolt Carrier Group is unique because of a slightly curved four-inch Strut protuding from the back of the assembly. This Strut is allowed to rotate up and down on the Firing Pin Retainer, (which in this case, is also called the Strut Axis). This Bolt Carrier Strut mates with the firing pin on top and the Recoil Spring Plunger below which is located in the handle of the stock.

Name:	SCRBuffer.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	114351
    Hope this rifle works out for both me and the company that made it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
    it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government". Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Does it accept any ar-15 upper receiver, or is the upper receiver as non-standard as the lower receiver?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrox View Post
    Does it accept any ar-15 upper receiver, or is the upper receiver as non-standard as the lower receiver?
    They say it does; which is a big reason I bought it. The take-down and pivot-pin locations seem to be mil-spec in size and location. I have a match-barrel upper on order for it. Going to compare the standard configuration against the match barrel in an old fashion shoot-off.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,

Love Life
    That is pretty cool. If you don't mind my asking, what is the cost?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the cost?
    I ordered mine thru Midwest Gunworks; it was $866.00 delivered. I have heard you can get them thirty dollars cheaper at B & H Police Supply in Florida. I don't think supply has caught up with demand yet so you might have to wait awhile to get one. Which might be a good thing... it will give all the crazy people who bought one sight-unseen a chance to review them.

Banned

that rod is similar to the ones used in many shotguns.
    the old win model 50 and the newer super X-2 both have it.
    you do need to clean the return spring and it's little cup, as well as the tube they ride in about every 500 rounds or so.

Boolit Master
    Sounds to me like the recoil mechanism on a FAL.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

I love good old American ingenuity. This firearm allows one to have any AR-15 upper, without the "scary" pistol grip and "scary" collapsible stock. It also isn't threaded for one of those "scary" muzzle devices, and doesn't have a "scary" bayonet lug. If they keep banning the "scary" cosmetic features, people will still keep inventing ways to get around it. I love it!

That BCG instantly reminded me of J. M. Browning's 1900 patent for the first consumer autoloader: the Remington Model 8, which is recoil operated instead of gas operated.

The SCR's hybridized to be gas operated though. Clever. They should have changed the color though. Black is too scary and might be miscategorized as a 'black gun.'

Thanks for sharing, CuZ.

Boolit Master

Well, CuZ, have you had a chance to shoot it? If so, how accurate is it?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrox View Post
    Well, CuZ, have you had a chance to shoot it? If so, how accurate is it?
    Not yet dangit The good news is, the upper I ordered for it came in today. It's a 16" SS Fluted Match Barrel, 1 in 8 Twist, with FF hand guard and nickel boron BCG. Mercy it's perty! Found an Aimpoint Pro on sale so I'll use that as my optic. Need to figure out what ammo these uppers like. I've also got about five different makes of magazines to try with both. (I doubt that I will ever use the original upper much, but it will be good to know how well the rifle performs in standard configuration). The bad news is, the VA wants me to have a Colonoscopy! The very thought of that has me so puckered up I doubt I can shoot straight

Boolit Master
    Was going to say it reminds me of the tail on a FN bolt but Lonegun1894 beat me to it. In any event looks like a sportered m4 clone. Except with the pistol gripped stock. Frank

Boolit Master

yep, looks like an AR-15 designed to get around the CA market limitations of banned features.