MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: PID alternative for star sizer, would it work?

Boolit Man

PID alternative for star sizer, would it work?

I was looking at PIDs for my star sizer with the Magma heater when I came across this on Amazon and Fleabay. I usually find myself switching the heater on and off depending on how fast I am sizing bullets, it really depends on if the machine is cooperating or not. If everything is running smooth then I need to increase the heat to keep up but then if I encounter problems the lube gets to hot so instead if adjusting the super sensitive Magma dial I just turn it off, essentially doing what this device would do for me. I am no electrical expert so I would like some input from those here who are because this seems cheaper and easier than a PID for the sizer heating plate.
    http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Tempe...productDetails

Thanks,
    Landers

I have a pid that I made from components bought from auber instruments. It works like a charm.

I would go ahead with the above deal. your only out $12 if it doesn't work as expected. You might only need to get a different sensor if you can't get the included one mounted to get good readings.

Banned
    I also have the Auber PID control and sensor and it works flawlessly much better than the Mypin unit in my opinion. I would steer clear of it.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the same unit. For $3 more I could get a Rex C100 and if the PID on my casting pot gives out I can subsitute it for the Auber till I get a replacement. The max temp range on the temp controller was about 195deg. The Rex is listed at 400degC and I found a link where you can change the program to run the temp on up. I thought it was worth the extra 3 bucks. I'm getting the one with relay output and using it on a 30watt cartridge heater.