MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: high wall slug gun

I too am interested in this. I never wanted to do sabots, but rather full diameter boolits and have wondered what the reamer should look like. The Savage bolt action 20ga. seems to be the easiest way to get there but yours is a lot more elegant! Keep us posted.

-Nobade

Vendor Sponsor

This is both interesting and out of my scope of knowledge. I would guess that there is something to be learned from the Double Gun chamber designs if full diameter bullets and rifled barrels are to be used.
    I don't need one but I want one......... When complete, this "20 GA shotgun" will be able to flatten any game in North America.

I will keep watching, Good luck -Chill Wills
    Chill Wills

thanks for posting the additional photo's. helps a bunch for me to visualize your project in a proper way. i really like the concept.

Another pic of the scope. Malcolm short scope modified by attaching a pope rib. Usmc mounts added and all screws upgraded. Total cost......half of an mva b5 with mounts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140824_193814.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	114429

that would be the leatherwood with unertl style mounts eh? i have often desired to get that very scope from Buff arms for my 40-65 roller. problem with my roller is as an original ... it has a tremendous drop in the butstock and my chin would have to be on the comb for seeing thru a scope mounted as close to the barrel as i could. thought about getting another butstock that has a higher comb for scope shooting but ... alas the cost would be jumping higher and higher so i havnt done so yet.

nice looking scope and mounts. i bet it will serve you well ... is this the 6X?

Yes. Leatherwood 6x18. Pope rib homemade with concave bottom. Attached with Industrial loctite 620. Blocks are by steve earle.

I have shot full bore bullets in rmc turned brass in my 12 ga h&r turning it into a "12bore rifle". 830gr with 180 gr goex @ 1300fps will damage you!
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 08-24-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Some of the high wall dimensions. The important one is the .815" at rear of receiver. This area must be bored from the rear, not cut from the top with an endmill to enlarge the trough. Boring leaves more material at the top to stabilize the breech block.funny thing, the breechblock drops far enough that it needs no modification!

Name:	DSCN1498a.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	114498

Also, collar at the front must be lowered by .200" for the heavy barrel (approx #5 win. oct. bbl weight)
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 08-26-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Finally got a call from batfe about my action getting stolen. 6 months after it happened!!!!! Also in same week I broke my leg. Not a lot going to happen with this until spring im afraid.

man what a bummer my friend. when it rains HUH? sorry to hear bout your bad run ... guess it will be anothers turn in the barrel tho now ... you already served your turn sounds like.

When it rains.....it sux! Maybe ill work on reloading tools for this thing awhile.hoping to get chambered in feb.

awsome. you say the action got stolen?

Sure did. En route back to me from taylor machine. Mr taylor got it replaced and I am back in business!

Boolit Master

Are you loading slugs in brass cases? I would like to know your process details. I don't care if its full bore or sabot, or 12 or 20 ga, I'm curious what you use for dies, specifically whether you size or not, and whether you crimp or not. And if you don't crimp, how you keep the boolit in place.

Ive done full bore in 12 ga brass. Not for this tho. The idea is to use cardboard sabots and 45-70 bullets. Ill need a compression die and a roll crimper with a hollow center for protruding bullets. Custom made, of course since nobody stocks such things.
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 10-10-2014 at 04:45 PM.

My 12 bore project used rmc cases. Custom 830gr conicals and 180 grs black powder
    (6 drams!)its brutal! I have scars. They were loaded with a combination wooden block and seating bullets on turret press between stations so the bullet would hit the turret as if in an arbor press . Reload life has been great. Thats just too much bullet even scaled to 20ga.
    Also brass cases that are groove dia id are expensive lathe turned propositions and the magtech cases are too thin to work properly with the PROPER sabot dia. The proper sabot is too small for the case. A sabot that fits the case would be crushed and distort the bullet I want to use. I examined the option of using smaller 24 ga magtech cases and cutting a very custom wildcat chamber. 20ga barrel/24 ga case. Too many problems and too esoteric. Also the cases arent long emough to hold the powder charges I require. I also like the idea of making it work with factory ammo......in a pinch.

Name:	ouch2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	118851

Ouchy from 830gr@1300 fps

Attachment 118852

H&R "12bore"
    Last edited by appleseedgunsmith; 10-11-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Red rubber pad comming. Was hoping for a hawkins, but pachmayr d752b appears a better fit. Now its time to get the dies figured out. Thatll keep me occupied this winter......action to get barrelled in feb.

Got my hull spin doctor madeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20141015_145801-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	119287

Made a few calls about a priming tool today as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast