Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Does anybody have a Marble's improved tang sight?

Does anybody have a Marble's improved tang sight?

If so does it stay upright by clicking into a detent or by friction or do do you tighten a screw after raising it or.....?
    Thanks - Dan

Boolit Master
    From memory it has a detent. It stand up without me doing anything. I would check for you but the gun it is on is it a safe that I can't get to today. #1 son is going to help me get to it tomorrow. Will check answers if need additional info will post it.
    Last edited by Duckiller; 08-22-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling error

Boolit Master
    I've got a couple of them. An original on a Win M92 38-40 and the modern version on another lever gun. Both seem to function similarly.

They are an ingenious design.

There is no detent.
    They can be locked in the "Down" position by a push-pull slide in the sight base.
    There is an internal coil spring that keeps them upright in the proper position... up against a shoulder stop notch in the sight pivot washer.
    They are designed to "flex" forward or backward if hit by something or the bolt instead of breaking... yet flip back to the proper upright position once free of obstruction.

Boolit Master
    I have one that came to me on my fathers 1940 Win 94. Yes it does have the detent to hold the sight upright at 90 degrees. Very old sight I think, and if so, you would expect to see all of them with this.
    Chris

Boolit Master
    marvelshooter,
    If you are asking about a newly manufactured Marbles Improved sight, then yes I believe they have what most call a conventional "detent" at the upright position. The older original Marbles Flexible sight is slightly different in design- even though some call it a "detent" and some don't. If bumped fore or aft, the stem will return, on its own, to the correct upright position by a combination of an internal coil spring and a cam centering pivot point (stop) on the pivot washer/bushing. And cwheel, tang sight stems are not at 90 degrees in the correct upright position unless the tang on the rifle is parallel to the barrel.