Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gout flare up...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    Try water dropping your bad toe.
    Ha Ha. I can still see the humor in my suffering. Don't have to use a chair. I have a few canes. One is an heirloom the other is one I got years ago after trying to kick start my old Triumph Bonny. The pedal on the kick arm kicked back hard and slapped the bottom of my foot. I had sneakers on, and did not protect me much. Whole bottom of my foot was black and blue.
    I can take Tylenol but not aspirin, I'm on blood thinners for another problem. Tylenol does not work as good on inflammation as aspirin I think.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

Man I feel bad for you. I remember how bad mine hurt. My doc put me on prednisone and that got me up and around pretty quick.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I to feel your Pain, I have been eating dried tart cherries in my morning oatmeal for years. I also consume apples regularly usually 2 a day. Just read this: http://www.symptomfind.com/nutrition...oods-to-avoid/

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Bub
    Got any doterra oils dealers in the area? I have used their lemon oil and white fir oil in combination to take care of flare ups with my gout. I can't help but drink lots of water and pee it back out because I have kidney stones too. I agree with the many above that cherries or cherry juice seems to help out too. Even dried cherries seem to have a positive effect for me. Sometimes you have to try a variety of things before you find something that works well for you specifically.

Boolit Master
    Jimbo2, what is doterra oil?

I've been eating cherries and drinking cherry juice a couple of days now. Little change until this afternoon. I added blackberries and blueberries, recommended by the info I noted earlier in post #40. I can now walk on the side of my foot with little pain. It's still tender as all get out.

Evidently these types of fruit are high in anti-oxidants and can help transport the uric acid out.
    Last edited by wallenba; 08-25-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    Never had any luck with the cherries. Indomethicin is an NSAID (like Ibuprofen, only much stronger) and a LOT scarier to your internist. I was taking three per day and worrying about liver and kidneys before the Allopurinol finally caught up with the problem. Took 600mg Allopurinol/day for the first year. That was 3 years ago and I've been episode free since then. Even when I was taking it I'd often lay off for a day or two just to let my system clear out. It also has the reputation of weakening joints... don't know if this is true, but now I'm fighting arthritis instead of gout. A trade I'd take any day. What my GP told me was that gout is 90% genetic / 10% diet. I never let up on the red meat.

The cut off your foot level is .750, mine was at .742 two years ago. .350ish is normal, my last check was .255.

Its all about diet, and what you eat not how much you eat.

As long as your eating/drinking the wrong stuff, your feet will come off later on in life.

I like walking
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Spent most of the day on my back watching episodes of Dr. Pol on Netflix. Got bored after a marathon Heifer palpating hour. Got up to go to the reloading room just to fiddle around. God said "go back and watch tv!". I got the message when a dummy 45-70 405 grainer rolled of the desk and just missed my offending toe. Just came in here to check in with the guys, now, to bed. Goodnight.
    Last time I tried to do something in the man cave during a flair up I was casting, dropped a hammer on the offending toe, couldn't even see during the entire crawl back to the house, made it inside and passed out on the kitchen floor. I will not do that again... Thankfully my oldest son was with me and shut everything down.

Boolit Buddy
    Wallenba... I was on Amiloride, too. Doc took me off of it, doubled those allopurinol doses, and put indomethicin in the mix. Seemed to work. Amiloride (or other diuretics) are a defined trigger. These problems often emerge after major body changes or surgeries. I'd experienced on/off bouts for two or three years after breaking a toe but nothing any of 'us' would call major... but then had to have a valve job done and the rodeo was on. Damn pig they used must have had gout! I still came out better than he did....

Boolit Bub
    I to feel your pain,beer an champagne flares mine . I drink lemon juice in water an it helps mine. For some reason Guinness does not make it flare up. I drink it sparingly . Almost forgot high fructose corn syrup .I have had maybe 32 Ozs of pop in a year now since my last flare up. Hope u get better soon Wallenba

Boolit Master

I started Chemo 6 weeks ago, last week I thought my toe was going to explode. Talked to my oncologist and he said it's fairly common with the kind of drugs I'm on. Never had gout before, had uric acid kidney stones 17 years ago, caused by spending a day in the sun making a training film. I have another 8 weeks of chemo and then I will celebrate with bacon. Thanks for this thread it's really helped me.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Jimbo2, what is doterra oil?

I've been eating cherries and drinking cherry juice a couple of days now. Little change until this afternoon. I added blackberries and blueberries, recommended by the info I noted earlier in post #40. I can now walk on the side of my foot with little pain. It's still tender as all get out.

Evidently these types of fruit are high in anti-oxidants and can help transport the uric acid out.
    I can't say for sure but I think you found the answer; anti-oxidants. Some of the different super food places have supplements with very high anti-oxidants may help and help keep this away, Not proven..The doctors; I don't trust with all their drugs, some may help but doctors make money off of doctors apts and keep you coming back.
    Here are some places to check
    Texas Super foods
    Youngevity
    Mangosteen is high in anti-oxidants and is rather cheap if you search the right places..
    Cherries

None of these are a quick fix and very tough to prove they work

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    The doctors; I don't trust with all their drugs, some may help but doctors make money off of doctors apts and keep you coming back.

That would be the same logic as saying the mechanic you take your car/truck to doesn't really fix it, just partly to keep you coming back.

Have you ever had need for a Dr. for a deadly illness? Polio, Cancer, by pass surgery.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    Wallenba... I was on Amiloride, too. Doc took me off of it, doubled those allopurinol doses, and put indomethicin in the mix. Seemed to work. Amiloride (or other diuretics) are a defined trigger. These problems often emerge after major body changes or surgeries. I'd experienced on/off bouts for two or three years after breaking a toe but nothing any of 'us' would call major... but then had to have a valve job done and the rodeo was on. Damn pig they used must have had gout! I still came out better than he did....
    I was originally put on Amiloride in the early 90's to help lower my blood pressure. After the blood pressure came down, that doc took me off the Amiloride. Funny thing happened next, I stopped urinating and fluid began building up in my lungs and in the sack around my heart.
    Lesson is, make darned sure your doctor can get you off your meds safely. I've now got to take it just to urinate.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    No gout but fibromyalgia flare ups. Never have figured out the trigger. Docs keep saying I should have gout but never had the symptoms.
    (fibromyalgia flare ups)

Have had to deal with fibromyalgia for 15 years now.

The only thing that slows the progression is Dr's Best Benfotiamine.
    Started taking 100mg a day 14 years ago now take 1800mg.
    Each increase in dosage stops the progression for over a year then need to increase dosage.
    On top of dealing with neuropathy..

Boolit Master
    Today has been a good day (better). The pain is lessening, still very stiff and red. The ball of the big toe still glows like a cat house porch light. The big toe though, is not like an overfilled balloon anymore.
    I'm just gonna chronicle my recovery from this day by day, for my own benefit and future reference. Probably not going to be the last time I suffer this.
    Been avoiding meat except at dinner. Articles on the net said that turkey is the worst culprit, and beef less so. I would have thought the reverse, go figure. Whole grains too are bad.
    Getting out of bed in the AM is still a torture, but soon subsides to a manageable level.
    Got a family event this weekend, lots of BBQ to look forward to not eating, other goodies, and little kiddies stepping on my feet I'm sure.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Barrett View Post
    I started Chemo 6 weeks ago, last week I thought my toe was going to explode. Talked to my oncologist and he said it's fairly common with the kind of drugs I'm on. Never had gout before, had uric acid kidney stones 17 years ago, caused by spending a day in the sun making a training film. I have another 8 weeks of chemo and then I will celebrate with bacon. Thanks for this thread it's really helped me.
    Ed, I hope the best for you. Do what your doc says and push through that pain.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Moderator Emeritus

So far Lyrica is keeping the fibro flareups under control mostly. Also helps with the neuropathy from the nerve damage in my spine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    So far Lyrica is keeping the fibro flareups under control mostly. Also helps with the neuropathy from the nerve damage in my spine.
    Does that get into the joints too? Any known causes? Never knew anyone with it.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Tomorrow is day seven. Some improvement today. I can bend the big toe.
    Dutch

-Yogi Berra.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast