Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pietta revolvers

Boolit Master
    Nice!

If you find that you want to just shoot bullets you can contact Ruger and they'll send you a .45 Colt Blackhawk front sight free of charge. Bullets strike way too high for the RB sight.

In Remembrance
    I can't believe Lyman published that ffffg load! I didn't believe it so checked it myself. Ffffg black powder ( in my estimation) should never be used for anything but a small booster charge or a flintlock pan powder. In larger loads, like that listed, the pressures are very high and erratic from what I have read. I would think that 40 grains of 3fg would be close to a max. load. You will note that Lyman did state that the load was used in a "special test revolver". I wouldn't want to be standing next to someone shooting that load in a C&B revolver!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    There's a fellow who did a lot of research on Civil War pistol cartridges and found that Hazard's Revolver Powder used in the .44 cal pistols with a conical used 4F powder that had the power level comparable to Swiss powder. Granted the powder capacity was used up with a lengthy conical, and so the idea was to make it up by using a finer grade powder. This is a small powder charge (no more than maybe 20 grns IIRC). It's quite a lengthy write up and he gave permission to share it. I'd be willing to email to you if you care to read it.

I wouldn't use 4F, but I don't need to using 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 as it gives plenty of oomph, and my bullets don't take up powder capacity like that anyway.

In Remembrance
    Rodwha, I would like to read that article about using the ffffg powder load. Thanks.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    PM me your email address and I'll send it (2 parts) as well as a nice write up of his Remington 1858 as it's a good read.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Some states (like here in Orygun) have fairly restrictive muzzle loader hunt rules. Orygun prohibits double rifles & revolvers. Also one must use loose powder and a PRB or all lead projectile. No sabots. No scopes or battery enhanced sights (light gathering and day-glo paint is OK). Ignition must be exposed to the elements (no closed breeches) by percussion caps or flintlock, no rifle or shotgun primers. We have wet weather about 9 months of the year on the west side of the state.
    In other words, you have to use real muzzle loaders, not those plastic toys.

When the ROA was under development, they tested it with a load that they estimated at 90kpsi. The gun survived. When Ruger said any black powder, they meant it. That being said, mine do quite well on a diet of Goex FFg.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    For the original OP, I think you selected a fine revolver for black powder hunting. If you're looking to pick up a Pietta, cabelas often has them on sale. But after picking up two, I would go with the base model or a target model. If for some reason I got backordered, I would cancel immediately and wait for the next sale.

The italians appear to take lots of vacations, so delivery can be kinda sketchy if you get back ordered and recently, cabelas has not treated it's backordered customers well. I know this from personal experience.

Boolit Master
    Actually made a trip to Cabelas on Monday looking for a Pietta Target model but none were in stock. They look like good value for the money and having an extra would please the wife on the days she accompanies me to the range. I did manage to swing by Bass Pro again and buy out the remaining Remington caps so I am good to go.

Does the Pietta Target 44 use the same size .457 ball as the Ruger?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I believe Pietta states to use the .451" as their chambers are typically about .446", but there's evidence that using a larger ball, which increases the bearing surface, increases the velocity and often the accuracy.

I use .457" RB's in mine as I only have the .457" RB mold, but I also had my chambers reamed to .449" and chamfered.

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Note the ballistics where the same powder and charge are used, but with larger diameter balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When the ROA was under development, they tested it with a load that they estimated at 90kpsi. The gun survived. When Ruger said any black powder, they meant it. That being said, mine do quite well on a diet of Goex FFg.
    You guys may find this thread interesting and directly from one of the testers himself (C.E Harris): http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...329&forum_id=6

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Thanks for all the input but I just bid on and won a NIB stainless Ruger Old Army. I think it will do everything I need it to do. Might still pick up a Pietta if I find one on sale.
    I think you will be better off in the long run with the Ruger, the more energy you can coax into the ball or boolit, the better a hunter you will be with it AS long as it is accurate, and the Ruger can take everything you can stuff in the cylinder except for maybe dynamite and maybe that too!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Among the Remingtons, Uberti has the faster rifling twist, more in keeping with modern 45s designed for 230 to 250 grain bullets. If I were buying a Remington for hunting, i.e. using elongated bullets, I'd go for the Uberti over the Pietta. It may be a minor distinction or it may not, but ALL modern 44s and 45s use a much faster twist than than Pietta's 44s have in them. I don't know what Ruger used, but I'd bet it's faster also (in the range of 15" to 18") being as Ruger took that gun seriously.

Boolit Master
    My Pietta Remington has a 1:16" twist. I'm guessing they sped it up when they retooled as I've read the previous models had a slower 1:30" twist or so.

Mine isn't quite as accurate as my ROA, though my Remington has a 5.5" barrel and my Ruger has a 7.5" barrel, but it does equally well with my short 170 and 195 grn bullets as it does with a ball at 15 yds. It's more accurate powder charge is 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 with either bullet. These bullets are short though, with the 195 grn bullet being only .460" long so as not to take up valuable powder capacity.

The Ruger is also 1:16" twist.

Boolit Master
    My Remington was a Christmas gift this past December.

Boolit Master
    One of the bigger downsides to the Pietta is that they didn't design the loading window with enough clearance to load much else than a ball, and the loading ram really sits deep in it. I had to file and sand my frame to load even my 170 grn WFN which is only .400" long.

The chambers are also smaller at .446". I had mine reamed to .449" so that I can more easily share bullets with my Ruger which drop at .455-6".

Boolit Buddy
    Well, IF I was going deer hunting with a revolver, I would get a Uberti Walker. Send it off to Goon for an "action job" that includes a post to prevent caps from jamming the action.

Then I would get a good, adjustable, partridge rear sight and a taller front sight and have both dovetailed and installed on the pistol. The rear sight, right in front of the cylinder on the rear of the barrel. Then I would used a Kaido bullet and Swiss Black Powder.

Then I would shoot it to the point I was sufficiently familiarized with it to make a killing shot with the first shot!

Sorry, I have tracked down way too many wounded deer that friends wounded. Hopefully those days are way past.

Boolit Master
    There are several guys who successfully hunt hogs with Remington 1858's, Colt 1860 Armies, and Ruger Old Armies.

The Colt "Dragoon" was used to kill buffalo, and seems to be the pistol mentioned having killed a grizzly with 2 shots when the soldier's .36 cal pistols did nothing significant.

Since 33 grns (reduced load) of 3F Triple 7 (which gives very similar velocity compared to equal volumes of Swiss and Olde Eynsford) produced nearly 500 ft/lbs with a 255 grn Kaido bullet from a ROA I'd see no reason to need a Walker to get the job done. That's a bit more than a typical modern .45 Colt load, and that will kill deer just fine as it's been doing on the hogs. Not that there's nothing wrong with more power!

I'm leery about using a ball from my Ruger Old Army, but feel confident that my 195 grn WFN would be plenty propelled by the 35 grn charge of 3F Olde Eynsford, which is the more accurate load that I've tried.

I would like to get a Walker myself, though it's lower on my list of ​needs.

Boolit Master
    I have no intention of shooting deer beyond about 25 yards with the ROA. Would be nice to have something with more power but to many projects in the works at the moment.
    Do you have a link to Goon's web site?
    East Tennessee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12