Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler -

Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler -

So, at the urging of wife and kids to get the barrels of brass out of the garage, I finally invested in a wet tumbler.
    I compared the Frankford and the Thumler:

Thumler Rebel (17# payload)
    One end plate with multiple nuts to open/close the drum.
    Brass capacity 4# when using 5# of stainless media. Media is included in the kit.
    No timer
    Cost for kit with media is 250.00 plus 29.00 shipping

Frankford Platinum (27# payload)
    Openings on both ends, a large collar that secures the end plug or a provided strainer. 2 strainers are included.
    Brass capacity 8# when using 5# of stainless media. Stainless pin media is included in the kit.
    On board timer (3 hour)
    Cost for kit (Midway on sale) 179.00 plus 13.80 shipping

The Thumler appears to be better built and will probably have a better service life. The Frankford is less expensive, bigger capacity and a lot easier to use.
    Either should work fine and get similar results.

After 10 loads of tumbling and reading a lot about wet tumblers, this is the routine I settled on for the Frankford.
    Add 8# brass, teaspoon of ALL laundry detergent, 1.5 gallon water, tumble for 30-60 minutes to remove mud. No mud? Skip this pre-wash step.
    Drain, install strainer caps, rinse well until mud is gone and water runs clear. The strainer caps make this a snap.
    Refill with water, add stainless pins, add teaspoon of detergent, add teaspoon of Lemi-shine or dry citric acid. This is to remove the tarnish. Tumble for 2 hours.
    Install strainer caps rinse through into bucket, pour brass in media ball, separate pins from brass by running ball half submerged in water bath. The pins all fall into the bucket, easy enough to rinse and drain the water off them.
    I spin the brass in the media ball a few rounds to get the excess water out of the cases.
    No oven drying for me, I drop the brass in a vibratory tumbler with walnut and Nu-finish and let the tumbler dry and polish the brass. This takes about an hour.
    Brass that I was ready to scrap is now saved. I sold enough of it on the first day of cleaning to pay for the tumbler.

Obligatory pictures, very impressive results. Brass is all from same batch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01130.JPG 
Views:	707 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	114220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01131.JPG 
Views:	481 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	114221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01132.JPG 
Views:	465 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	114222
    Last edited by Griz44mag; 08-22-2014 at 02:30 AM.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Good report on your Franklin Arsenal Rotary Tumbler (FART).

Looks like you're getting great results. I use the Thumlers model B. It's a 15 pound drum. My recipe is 1/4 TSP Lemi-Shine, a coulpe ounces of auto wash & wax and a gallon of water with 2 pounds of braass. I tumble for 4 hours for impeccably clean brass.

I also use the "spin dry" method for drying the brass - no ovens, heaters, dryers, dehydrators, etc., are ever needed.

Here's a before and after snap.

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou52

Name:	null_d3ee5fbb-f890-4d6a-a6eb-758ca2076355_1406477014157_IMG_20140727_160334_kindlephoto-10115385.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	114224
    Last edited by Bayou52; 08-22-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

I have the rebel 17, which is large enough for me. As cleaner I use just a little bit LemiShine (because it came with the tumbler, isn't really necessary) some standard dishwashing liquid. I plug it in using a timer switch, that is set to let it run for 30 minutes three times with 15 minutes pauses. I'm satisfied with the results.

After tumbling I put the cases in the oven at 110°C for 15 minutes, turn of the oven and open the door, and as soon as they cooled off enough to be touched they are dry. But just in case I put them in a cardboard box and load from a second box, so I always got dry cases.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
    - Evely Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

How about a pic or 2 of the FA wet tumbler?

I just went wet tumbler a month ago, after reading all I could get my hands on and talking to everyone I knew. I finally went with the Custom Built BigDawg. Which is made by a member here. You can also get a detailed spec from him and build it yourself if your talented enough.. I am NOT. so I had him make it..
    I have two drums so this recipe is for the small drum. 7# Media, 5# Brass 1.5gal.Water 1TBS Dawn dish soap, 1/4 tsp Limshine, Now, you can run your brass in less time but I'm picky and like my Primer Pockets and the inside of the brass to all look new with no residue at all. so 3 hours is the ticket. You can get perfectly beautiful brass in 1 to 1.5 hours and it will probably be cleaner than any Vibratory tumbler could ever get it. But after making such an investment I want it perfect..
    This is a pic of my Tumbler and the very first batch of 45acp brass... Oh yes Drying,,,I just lay them out on a towel on the floor the night I clean them just like the batch of 38 or 357 brass in the pic below and their dry the very next day..

............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

How loud is the FA? I'm currently in an apartment and the vibratory tumbler I have (HF) is too loud. I also like the idea of getting a wet tumbler.

Thanks.
    Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Nice write up thanks.

Dave,
    It is as noisy as a vibratory unit. Luckily, I have a garage where things like that don't disturb the tranquility of the household.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

ROLLMYOWN,
    Pics, sorry, my camera is not the best out there.

Name:	DSC01135.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	114418

Name:	DSC01136.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	114419
    Griz44Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Griz44mag View Post
    Dave,
    It is as noisy as a vibratory unit. Luckily, I have a garage where things like that don't disturb the tranquility of the household.
    Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    I've been wet tumbling for years with the Thumlers model B. It works great but my only complaint is the small capacity. So now I'm debating between building by own Bigdawg model or buying the Frankfort Arsenal. How would you compare the two durability wise? I'm worried about the plastic construction of the FA. I already have a motor laying around so that would save me about $100 on my own build.

jgieske, If you have the skills to build a Bigdawg that's what you should do.
    One, You'll have the capacity you want and TWO, you'll know how to replace any part that should ever need replacing because all the parts on a BD is from either a local hardware store or Auto store. and you built it...

I want to be clear about one thing..I'm not bashing the FA. Several of my friends have them and they work great for them. No worries if you buy one. I've never heard a bad comment on them..
    Last edited by Weaponologist; 08-25-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the BD anyway. You make good points.

@ Weaponologist:

Do you remember who was offering the BigDawg? I'm interested in the specs.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

He goes by BiggDawg here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...omemade/page10

He also has a website under Biggdawg Tumbler.. You'll find Spec's in the Home Made Section also.

Thanks!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    I have one, my only complaint is I wanted to buy an extra drum and the lady on the phone said they were so far behind they wouldn't offer them until they got caught up the tumbler work flawlessly

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 257 View Post
    I have one, my only complaint is I wanted to buy an extra drum and the lady on the phone said they were so far behind they wouldn't offer them until they got caught up the tumbler work flawlessly
    Did she give you a price on the extra drum?

You can get the prices from his site http://www.biggdawgtumblers.net/
    I guess the way I got 2 drums was I ordered it on his Menu for less of a better word. You can order what combo you want by number mine was Kit #1.5 on the list.
    but I did have to wait about 8 weeks for everything. he told me he was getting hammered for his Tumblers. and after getting one I see why.

Boolit Mold
    For those that have the Thumlers model B .I use 5# of brass,5# of pins,5# of water 2 table spoon of dawn dishwater detergent 1/4 tea spoon of lemon shine . Turn it on for three or four hours . Separate the pins from the brass, I use a Rcbs media separator then pour the brass on an old bath towel and use a hammock motion to dry the brass or lets just say dry the out side of the brass , then either laid it out in the sun or if no sun laid it in a dry place like inside my house under a ceiling fan over night will dry it out . I find that if I rinse with water,it leaves spots. But I do rinse the pins with the water hose every once in a while . I always deprime my brass before cleaning when I do these steps the brass looks like new brass. Good Luck SMILEY