RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankford Arsenal Wet Tumbler -

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    How about a pic or 2 of the FA wet tumbler?
    Here are a couple pics of my FA tumblerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FA-RT_0001.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	114867
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FA-RT_0004.jpg   FA-RT_0006.jpg  

Do they make a 240 volt version?

Boolit Master
    I put a little white grease on the O ring end seals. Makes the end caps tighten easier and helps stop the leaks. They leak a little if the ends are not on tight. Otherwise, works as it should.

Boolit Man
    NExt year they will release a 240v version, they are testing it right now

Any news on a 240 volt version? Any idea who sells them or will ship overseas?
    Midway USA doesn't.

Good write up on the FA tumbler. I purchased my thumler's tumbler model b about two years ago and completely satisfied. I would have purchased the FA tumbler if it had been available due to the large capacity of cases you can tumble. Example; I can only tumble 230 9mm cases at a time which is what's recommended on the case load chart that was provided.

My tumble routine is now 2 table spoons of ArmorAll ultra shine wash and wax (recommended by members here) and 1/4 teaspoon lemi shine. Tumble decapped cases for 3-4 hrs, drain, rinse in warm water, use cabelas media seperator, place cartridges on towel, place in food dehydrator for an hour and then sort by headstamp and store.

The cases inside and out along with primer pockets look brand new. The best thing is the cases do not tarnish as they did using Dawn dishsoap.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
    Example; I can only tumble 230 9mm cases at a time which is what's recommended on the case load chart that was provided.
    hunter49 -

I have the same Thumlers model B that you have. As you say, the directions that came with my Thumlers said to use 2 pounds of brass per batch. I followed these directions for several years with great results. Recently, however, I've been experimenting with using larger batches of brass in the drum.

Specifically, I doubled the batch size from 2 to 4 pounds of brass. Instead of filling the drum with water, I added only enough to go about a couple inches or so over the brass. So, less water and more brass. Like you, I use auto wash and wax (a couple of ounces) snd 1/4 TSP Lemi- Shine. I also tumble for 4 hours and use 5 pounds of pins.

Even with the larger amount of brass, the Thumler's motor is not at all straining. Thr motor starts the drum rotating without having to nudge it to start. No over-heating/motor issues.

The results are just as spectacular as when using a smaller batch of brass. So, the experiment seems to have yielded good and useful information, for me at least.

See pic of tumbled brass in a larger batch.

Happy Tumbling -

Bayou52

Last edited by Bayou52; 03-28-2015 at 02:35 PM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Bayou52,

Thank you for the useful info and the brass looks great, I will definately give that a try.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Bayou52,

Thank you for the useful info and the brass looks great, I will definately give that a try.
    hunter49 -

I'd be interested to hear how larger batches of brass work for you in your Thumlers.

Thanks - Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Bayou52,

I will keep you updated and will be doing a batch tomorrow doubling the cases up as you suggested.
    Thank you

Bayou52,

Update on doubling brass in thumlers tumbler, I just completed a 4-hr tumble as you suggested and am quite pleased with the results. I want to thank you for your suggestion.

Boolit Man
    Just noticed that Cabelas has both the Franford and Thumler's discounted on their website. Frankford is $169.99 and Thumler's is $174.99.

Bayou52,

Update on doubling brass in thumlers tumbler, I just completed a 4-hr tumble as you suggested and am quite pleased with the results. I want to thank you for your suggestion.
    Hi, hunter49 -

I'm glad you had a good result on your doubling of your Thumler's capacity. My tumbling batches generally aren't of large quantities, but this will help speed things up a bit whenever I do have somewhat of a larger batch.

Happy Tumbling...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Man
    They're on sale at cabelas right now for 149.99.

This tumbler will make snotty range brass shine like new! I've done about 1500 cases in the last 24 hours since I purchased it.

Boolit Master
    If anyone is interested, Midway sells an extra FART drum for $69. If my tumbler ever dies, I'll use the FART drum and make a metal framed drive unit. It would be the best of both worlds. Rod

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by James6406 View Post
    Just noticed that Cabelas has both the Franford and Thumler's discounted on their website. Frankford is $169.99 and Thumler's is $174.99.
    And the FART includes the stainless steel media...and it has a timer.

I think that's a heck of a deal.

I have both the Thumlers and the FART. While I don't know what the service lifetime of the FART will be, it's a far better system IMO. I hate those wingnuts on the Thumlers tumbler, and the Thumlers drum is harder to handle for me.

At the price Cabelas is selling the FART, I can't imagine why anyone would choose a Thumler's Tumbler, unless it's because they want to tumble rocks too. It was all I could do not to buy a second FART!

I just got the Rebel 17 for $215.00 and have been very satisfied with it. I did a thousand rounds of 38s for 2 hrs. They look like brand new brass inside and out. 500 rounds of 223. same result. I purchased a dehydrator from harbor freight for $20.00 and brass is dry inside and out in less than a hr. I had a bigdawg style washer that was cumbersome and a pain to use. rinsing the brass was a chore with a hose in the yard, trying to hold the drum up to rinse out the brass some before putting in the spinner, the cap, I always had to have a tool to put on and take off. It just was a pain. With the rebel it holds as much or more, no tool for opening and closing, they have replaced the wing nuts with nice round knobs, Its much quieter. You can barley hear it running. (which the wife likes) the entire inside of the drum is rubber. I just set it in the work sink and rinse, throw in spinner, take to dryer and done. I love it.
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 08-30-2015 at 05:42 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I have been using the Rebel 17 for over 2 years now and am happy with it. But I might have gone with the FART if it had been available at the time.
    L.E.C.