Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: are we losing something?

Banned

are we losing something?

are we losing the skill we used to have in reloading?
    I was making up some loads for the 220 swift today and after neck sizing the cases, I took them out and run them through the auto-annealer.
    and it got me to thinking.
    I have auto-mated tools for just about everything I do. [back up hand tools too]
    annealing, stainless pin tumbler, automatic powder dump, primer tube fillers, motorized trimmer, motorized champhering/primer pocket uniformer/flash hole de-burrer tool, a Dillon 650 with motorized case feeder...
    I realized that even though I don't use those tools every time [heck most of the time] I do rely on them for many things.

so have we lost some of our 'skill' in reloading?
    the ability to read a dial, or feel the press, or feel the boolit sizer being off just a little bit.
    maybe it's not a loss of skill but more of a need for speed in today's world??

so what's yall's thoughts on the matter?

Boolit Grand Master
    Not me. I don't have those fancy things. This is as good as it gets for me.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any of those and do just fine. I load a couple hundred rounds a week on a Rockchucker.

Boolit Master

The big advancement for me was getting a tumbler this year. Still soak in citric acid and dawn but had to use a Scotch Bright to get them really clean and now the tumbler gets them bright and clean. Also went from the very slow but effective Lee Loader the the Lee Classic Turret press. Both are real time savers. Maybe next year I can get a bottom pour pot and speed up my boolit making.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Buddy
    Are we loosing something? Perhaps, but every decision we make involves some sort of compromise.

In this case, Yes, but we also gain time (and potentially achieve less variability, and end up with higher quality ammo). But even with no gains on quality, as I get older, time becomes more and more valuable. So if I can "gain" time on by automating some aspects/operations, and that means I can have more time for other things I enjoy more, to me that is a good compromise.

Perma-Banned

I may have lost'em, but I don't miss'em. I don't plan to go back...could if I wanted to...just don't want to.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I know I haven't gotten too fancy. I don't tumble my brass, I weigh every charge on my beam scales and use loading blocks, and I load everything with a Lee hand press or a whack-a-mole kit. 'Never owned a turret and don't even have a single stage press set up for anything but gas check making.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I have a battery powdered drill to do some of those mundane tedious jobs and a motorized powder dispenser.
    Everything else I still do by hand. I am always amazed at those that talk speed speed speed when talking about reloading.
    EDG

I just recently upgraded from a single stage press to a turret. That is the only "automated" machine I have. Everything is still checked and tested by hand. If I have "lost" Any skills, I never had them to start with.

So good to be retired! Now I reload for the fun of reloading and shoot to get the plugs out of the cases. Thankful to have some great kids in the family to help with that. They are always there to help an old man. Thoughtful of them. Most automated thing I still own is a Redding T-7, sold the progressive stuff. Back to basics if several thousand dollars of every kind of trinket can be called basic! GP

Boolit Grand Master

When shooting high power rifle I went to progressive press and some "state of the art" equipment to speed the process. I am now reverting back to the old ways with BPCR. But Im waiting for the first cnc case prep center drop case in hit button uniforms primer pocket, tool change and deburrs flash hole, reams flas hole, tool change and turns neck, tool change and trims deburring with choice of chamfers. We go to the modern mechanicized set ups in the name of speed or consistency. Annealing is a good example used to be pan of water and tourch heat red and knock over. Now a timed rotation thru the tourches with controlled rotation to the drop point again a controlled time.Which is going to be the more consistent? Another is case trimming, the newer trimmers are not only faster but as or more consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I just recently upgraded from a single stage press to a turret. That is the only "automated" machine I have. Everything is still checked and tested by hand. If I have "lost" Any skills, I never had them to start with.
    LOL..same here, except my upgrade was going from a rock chuck single stage press to a lee hand held press. No loss in the accuracy department and i love being able to set up anywhere to load with it.
    If i were into competition, i might consider some upgrades for more speed. I don't even use my forster case trimmer anymore unless something needs to be trimmed to some custom length because of chamber dimensions, and just use lee hand trimmers...talk about slow and hands on!!!

Boolit Master
    I don't think we are losing something, I think we are making better use of our time and the application of using tools allow us to do a better job making us more aware of quality reloads.

No, 'cuz I can always go back to manual (and do periodically) and think my time is more valuable as I age out.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I use a turret press and must fight the desire to buy a progressive. I really enjoy the whole process of casting and reloading but I also enjoy having the 'latest & greatest.' Thankfully the wallet isn't big enough to support my want glands. I find myself out in the garage, where my loading bench is, wanting to tinker but have several months worth of boolits poured, rounds loaded, and boolits coated. If I had a progressive I would get really bored.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Depends on the objective

A bunch of 45 acp rounds for fast plinking...we've not lost a thing, but pobably gained

38 wadcutters, same deal

30-30 hunting rounds, and yeah, probably lost touch with final product

Id say that if you are planning to extinguish a life with it, then ditch automation. Have a direct hand in the development, start to finish. Finish meaning kill. Otherwise it is a boon to shooting

If necessity is the mother of invention, then surely the other parent must be inspired laziness, ie: There has to be a better way to to this.

Skills stay with you. They may get a bit rusty from lack of use, but will come back when needed.

You might need to dig out that old Lee Loader and reload a few.

Boolit Master

I use a Dillon 550 for all pistol loading because I shoot a lot more of it. But I still load rifle on the Rockchucker, weigh every load etc. I just makes me feel better, it's the way I started 53 years ago and is still satisfying to me.

Boolit Master

Time saving devices give you more time to use other time saving devices to save more time.

One day I saved so much time it became yesterday.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    I load for myself, my son, and his girlfriend. The tools allow me to do that. I think the skills will stay with you.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast