Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 1st Star, PROBLEMS, lube on boolit nose???

Boolit Buddy

1st Star, PROBLEMS, lube on boolit nose???

I just received my Star lube sizer today but I am having issues setting it up. I am sizing .402" and received a die with LOTS of holes in it. So I plugged all the holes except the center row. I am running 175 and 145 Lee single groove boolits and when I ran boolits through it I had lube all over the nose and none in the lube groove.So I plugged all the center row and tried the bottom most row. Now I am not getting any lube anywhere.

If I follow the directions and set the boolit (nose down) next to the die the lube groove lines up with the bottom row of holes. The manual says this is the way to set it up but it also contradicts that on the first page saying single lube groove boolits to use the center row. tried both and neither works. What am I doing wrong?

Lube is LithiBee BTW. I warmed and poured it in and let it solidify. Not using any heater. Its in the 80's here today in my shop.

ADMIN

If its on the nose you need to adjust the punch down.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't matter which set of holes you leave open, you have to balance, heat, pressure if using air, adjust punch down as someone else suggested. sometimes lube will "pass" if bullet width is minimal for the size of the die.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't adjust the punch any lower because its threads are hitting the die now?

ADMIN

Leave the top set of holes open and plug the rest.

Watch this video if you haven't -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtlW5czTpSM

Typically speaking lube on the nose with none in the groove means the punch needs to be lower.
    Lube on the nose AND in the groove could mean the punch needs to be lower or it could also mean you need to lower your air pressure/heat temp.

If you are running a air setup it is possible to have the pressure turned up so high that the lube just flows into the die without being pumped. This is the same with the heat.
    If the heat is turned up too high, the lube will be thin and basically just drain out of the reservoir.

I totally understand your frustration. I have been there many times. Once you figure out what causes certain things to happen you will be more efficient in your setup.
    I pulled my hair out one evening (really frustrated). I had lube everywhere. It was on the nose, in the groove, on the base.
    No matter how I adjusted the punch it was the same result. This was with a die that I used before so I know the proper holes were left open.
    Turns out that the boy had adjusted the air regulator and it was running WIDE OPEN 150%.
    The lube was basically free flowing into the die.
    With no boolit in the die, the lube should not flow or should BARELY flow into the die.
    If it is free flowing then you need to turn down the heat or turn down the air pressure or both!!
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

For me, when I have lube ribbons showing up on the nose, it's usually because I'm got the pressure up too high and /or my lube too hot for my cadence. Try backing the pressure off a 1/4 turn and speed up.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your tips. I ended up using the 3rd hole set up from the bottom and adjusted the punch to 1.25" from the die. That got me in the ballpark but I had to tweak the punch length just slightly but I am up and running now. Thanks again guys.