RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: An intro and question

Boolit Bub

An intro and question

First of all I'd like to say this forum has been of great help figuring out casting. I'm not new to guns and reloading but I'm definitely very new to this aspect of firearms. The first mold I got was as simple choice as it is for reloading my .44 special BH. What I'm thinking of for a second mold is where my question comes in.
    I'm very interested in getting a NOE 460405 RNFP RG mold. It would be a double duty mold, I'd be using it for boolits in my muzzle loader ( I'm in Washington where I can use sabots) but would also like to use it for a 45-70 guide gun with Ballard cut rifling. Would it be asking to much to expect a plain base bullet in this design to handle being pushed hard in the 45-70 or should I just plan on having to use paychecks? Boolits for the muzzle loader and .44 special get made out of range scrap but the 45-70 would get alloying tailored to it. Just seeing is velocities around the 1900fps with good accuracy could be expected using the plain base?

Banned

nope you'll need the gas checks.
    1900 with a 400 gr boolit is on the pain full side..
    I run a 435 with gas check closer to 1650 and it's right about all I want after a minute or so.
    for the saboted round the gas check could be left off without issue.

I have found in the rifle type rounds 45/70, 375 Winchester, 30-30, etc that 1400 fps is about it with plain base boolits, even with stuff under the boolit [except maybe stuff I don't want to use in my ammo]

I don't know why that is,,,, [shrug] when I have exceeded 1600 in my pistol cartridge lever guns with out even trying too hard.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 460-405 2 cavity one pb and one gc, I use the pb for bp loads and gc the smokless in my jap 1886. i will second 1650 is fast enough. Noe has a rg2 brass 1pb 1 gc listed in stock on his webstore.

Boolit Grand Master

Generally if the mold is cut for a gas check you want to use one. You will seldom get adequate accuracy without one.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    WELCOME to the forum !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    WELCOME to the forum !
    Question; You know why Ben always seems to be able to shoot those nice little groups?

Answer; Ben is a master at observing the obvious.

Welcome to our form, theleo.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    I pretty much figured that I already had the answer was just hoping I might be wrong. I know pushing a bullet that size at that speed won't be pleasant but it wouldn't be shot very much anyways. The 45-70 has been sitting in the back of my dads' gun safe for a number of years, so I'm just going to resurrect it so I have a more comfortable rifle under my leg when chasing elk and packing meat in Idaho. There's a few guns that he's got in his safe that could be fun cast projects down the road that I'll need some input on (32-20s, a top eject marlin 38-40, 30-30s, and dare I say a couple of 99's?) but things being as they are it'll be a one gun at a time type thing. Thanks a ton guys!

I add my welcome. You will be happy with the quality of any NOE mould you buy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theleo View Post
    First of all I'd like to say this forum has been of great help figuring out casting. I'm not new to guns and reloading but I'm definitely very new to this aspect of firearms. The first mold I got was as simple choice as it is for reloading my .44 special BH. What I'm thinking of for a second mold is where my question comes in.
    I'm very interested in getting a NOE 460405 RNFP RG mold. It would be a double duty mold, I'd be using it for boolits in my muzzle loader ( I'm in Washington where I can use sabots) but would also like to use it for a 45-70 guide gun with Ballard cut rifling. Would it be asking to much to expect a plain base bullet in this design to handle being pushed hard in the 45-70 or should I just plan on having to use paychecks? Boolits for the muzzle loader and .44 special get made out of range scrap but the 45-70 would get alloying tailored to it. Just seeing is velocities around the 1900fps with good accuracy could be expected using the plain base?
    Pretty much no matter what boolit or load you use, casting and reloading requires the use of lots and lots of "paychecks".

You'll enjoy casting and reloading for the 45-70. It's a must have for any firearms enthusiast.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Bub
    Yep I already figured that one out. My first mold was a Lyman 429421 four cavity, and I just couldn't get it to drop boolits I was happy with. I came across this forum and saw NOE being talked about so much I had to check them out. The 434421 I got I absolutely love! I leave two cavity's with the hollow point pins in and two with the blanks, the thing rains boolits! Now I just need to get connected with a lube sizer and .431 dies and I can start working on the 30 pounds of boolits I've got casted.

Banned

welcome!

The bullets you cast for shooting in your sabots will work well without a GC.

The ones you shoot in your rifle will need GC's.

WW alloy will work well for the rifle, cast some of pure lead for the muzzleloader sabots.

Good luck!

Banned

I use a lyman 241 mold and had to work it over a little to get it just right.
    I looked long and hard for a square lube groove version though.
    once I get it into the zone it will cover the table top with little nuggets of fun pretty quickly.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't add much more than a welcome. The 45-70 is a fun project but if you want to hop it up a bit from BP velocities you'll need to invest part of your paycheck in gas checks. Personally a 350 grainer @ 1900 in my Guide Gun puts the eyepiece of my scope into my glasses, shoulder doesn't enjoy it much either.
    Sounds like some very interesting projects waiting in that safe. Enjoy!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.