Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Computer re-boot question.

Boolit Master

Computer re-boot question.

I have a laptop that crashed big time. Does anyone know what reboot disc I should buy. The computer says it needs a boot disc and I do not have one, I have the program disc but I need to get to dos. Thanks for your help.
    jim

Question

Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    I have a laptop that crashed big time. Does anyone know what reboot disc I should buy. The computer says it needs a boot disc and I do not have one, I have the program disc but I need to get to dos. Thanks for your help.
    Er, what O/S are you running? What brand of computer?

It isn't that I'm trying to be the No Help Whatsoever Desk, but when a computer says it needs a boot disk, that might mean:

CMOS settings lost or corrupted (Low or discharged CMOS battery?)
    MBR was munched by a crash, virus, Windows, or just bad luck.
    Windows tried to apply a system update... and failed.
    System was told to use the wrong partition. Like multiboot with Linux and Windows.

If it was a somewhat recent Windows O/S, it might have the option to do a recovery boot. Get back to us and tell us about it....
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Its a gateway laptop running windows 7 I should have included that info.
    jim

Boolit Master

Hard drive failure.
    If that is what has happened it is now a boolit target.
    A computer shop just might be able to help.
    Make a boot disk from the computer you are on.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't just go out and buy a boot disc. It usually comes with the computer when you buy it but you might be able to get one made if you know enough about your machine and it's software.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I'm working on a Gateway desktop right now, that would not boot into Windows. It's running Windows HATE (8.0)...
    I was able to get it to boot up again by using the "reset" option. This did result in losing all personal preferences and files, but wasn't a big deal on this particular PC.

Try the following, if you aren't getting the option to "reset" when you try to boot:

http://gateway-us.custhelp.com/app/a...M3BocGxwKmw%3D

Hope this helps...

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Computers do not come with boot disks anymore, but you are asked to
    make one when the machine is working properly for some of them. Most
    now have a built in self repair capability - not perfect by any means, but I
    have had it work multiple times on a failing Vista machine.

The reset function is very likely to work because there is a significant portion
    of the OS duplicated on a separate area of the hard drive, intended for just
    this situation. Be advised that if you get it back, be careful to back up all
    the important data ASAP, you may have just a temporary glitch, but it may
    be the first sniff of a failing hard drive.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Your boot partition on your disk is gone.

You'll need to have the data saved from that disk, which can often be done by computer shops specializing in data recovery. You'll need a new hard drive, and a reinstallation of Windows.

A good computer shop can make this pretty transparent for you. It is a lot of work and impossible if you don't know what you're doing.

Josh

Boolit Buddy

must be in the air. Ours went south last nite as well. Took it to the man. I expect the worst.

Boolit Master
    obssd1958 Thanks for the link I will try it and see if they can send me a boot disc, Thanks to everyone that responded.
    jim

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You should always make a boot disk for the computer. Most will ask you if you want to. That is the unique info in the 'boot' section of the HD.

Also, your BIOS must be set up to actually boot from your CD drive! If not, you ARE REALLY dead in the water.

This is why I hate laptops & notebooks. With a NORMAL desktop computer, you can install a new HD and WIN and make your old drive "D" drive to get all the data off it.

iPad.......no HD! On all the time. I just gotta remember to charge it ever week or so.

Your best bet is to take it to a computer repair person. And be willing to pay just about as much as you would for a new fancier better faster one!

Backup.....backup....backup. That way you have all your valuable data and files (not installed progarms) on a USB 1G drive so you can upload all of it to your NEW computer! I find those 1G USB3 drives for $49 regularaly locally around me.

banger