Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What is linotype worth?

Boolit Man

What is linotype worth?

There's a fella that has offered me 200lbs of Linotype. He says it's in the same form as when he got it from the printing company so it's easy to tell it's linotype.

What should I offer for it? What's it really worth? I don't even have 100 lbs of lead, is there anyone here that would want some of this linotype in exchange for lead?

I'm all but clueless on linotype.

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll swap you, PM sent.
    ________
    Mexico Hotels
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Man
    thanks for the offer bigslick.
    I'm not out to trade it off today, but thanks for your enthusiasm. I was interested in seeing if anyone would trade, and you answered that very well, along with users of other forums.

I really want to know what I should offer for 200lbs of linotype more than anything else. I don't want to insult him, and I don't want to pay too much.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd start at $0.75 per pound and go up to $1.00 per pound. That covers the range of fair market value.

Boolit Grand Master
    Midway sells certified linotype for $3 per pound......plus shipping.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Buck a pound seems to be the going rate. Wiljen has it right, 75 cents is a legit offer.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Midway sells certified linotype for $3 per pound......plus shipping.
    The current market (last week per a google search) for certified pure lead is $1.39 a pound and Midway is currently selling it at over $3.20 a pound.

I bought a lot of tin from Midway at $6.00 a pound up until about a year ago when I stopped buying from them. Today tin at Midway is $16.00 a pound, nearly a 300 percent increase in a year.

Not only on alloys but on many things it seems Midway is on a quest to see how fast they can price themselves out of buisness. I'd say Midway is a good example of get successful and get greedy. I've spent thousands at Midway but not a dime in the last year, there are other online stores that have yet to get as greedy as it seems Midway has. Midway has a great web site that can be used to see what is available from any given mfg, then go someplace else to buy it cheaper. Shipping at Midway is also quite high.

Shame about Midway, it was great while it lasted.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with ya, rick. I only order from Midway when there is no other option. I posted the $3 per pound price to show how crazy things have gotten. I was at the metal recycler recently and asked if they had any print metal. I got a blank stare, and then they told me to go take a look see. They sell EVERY form of lead for the same price....45 cents per pound. Alas, they had no type metal I could spot in that mangled mountain of scrap lead.

What's really sad is that I sold 600 pounds of monotype 3 years ago for 30 cents a pound.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    What's really sad is that I sold 600 pounds of monotype 3 years ago for 30 cents a pound.
    Oops . . .
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Kelly,

if you can snag that I myself would stash it and keep on looking for more lead. never have enough to get rid of any lead alloy. I really doubt the price will drop anytime soon. There is a giant sucking sound comming from china for copper and lead. I dont know what they could make out of it all.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Man
    it's one of those things that ain't going down in price.
    I started casting weekend before last, and now I'm all but out of lead/alloy with about 4000 200 grain bullets to show for it.

Lead/alloy is so insanely hard to find that I'm thinking I may just have to give up this hobby. The first 80lbs I got were from folks here, and that generosity made me think that the rest of the world would be generous on their lead scrap, but every tire shop seems to value their wheel weights more than I could have ever imagined, and that scrap dealers will steal from anyone that they can.

The fella is claiming 200 lbs for $200. I told him I'd get back with him.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    There is a giant sucking sound comming from china for copper and lead. I dont know what they could make out of it all.
    J
    they're using it to paint our children's toys with. it's bad enough they kill their own children.

If you dont want it I do.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    The current market (last week per a google search) for certified pure lead is $1.39 a pound and Midway is currently selling it at over $3.20 a pound.

I bought a lot of tin from Midway at $6.00 a pound up until about a year ago when I stopped buying from them. Today tin at Midway is $16.00 a pound, nearly a 300 percent increase in a year.

Not only on alloys but on many things it seems Midway is on a quest to see how fast they can price themselves out of buisness. I'd say Midway is a good example of get successful and get greedy. I've spent thousands at Midway but not a dime in the last year, there are other online stores that have yet to get as greedy as it seems Midway has. Midway has a great web site that can be used to see what is available from any given mfg, then go someplace else to buy it cheaper. Shipping at Midway is also quite high.

Shame about Midway, it was great while it lasted.
    +100

I don't understand how they stay in business.

Look at pricing, and maybe, if you try real hard, I guess you could make a case for mfr cost increases, cost of living raises, overhead costs etc.. but even that's a stretch.

More often than not, you can find almost anything they sell for cheaper elsewhere.

One thing that was well anticipated was when they decided to start selling powder and primers. Sounded great, in the past some of their pricing was pretty good, easy to see why lots of folks expected good things.

Then, take a closer look at the shipping and fees that goes with every powder shipment. Hazmat, a 'special handling/packaging charge' plus shipping. Can't ship powder and primers on the same hazmat, so everything doubles. You know damned well it can be done, others do it.

Like you say, their website is well done, and has proven to be a great resource. It is indeed too bad that Midwayusa is charging a premium for the same products you can get elsewhere MUCH cheaper.

The alloy pricing is crazy, but I'm sure getting 'certified' alloy carries some additional cost. Only problem with selling that line of hogwash is, none of my bullets are required to be certified by a lab. I'm sure some commercial casters like it for consistency, but there are certainly less expensive foundry sources that will blend alloy any way you want it, any day of the week and guarantee the mix.

I'm liking Grafs a lot better in the past couple of years. Not exactly the cheapest, but cheaper than Midway, and no shipping ripoff.
    ________
    MOTORCYCLE TIRES
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Swap?

kellyj00,

If you are considering swapping lino for lead, where are you located? (General location) A face to face swap would benefit both parties.

Schutzen

Boolit Man
    schutzen, you're right.
    I'm in Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    +100

I don't understand how they stay in business.

Then, take a closer look at the shipping and fees that goes with every powder shipment. Hazmat, a 'special handling/packaging charge' plus shipping. Can't ship powder and primers on the same hazmat, so everything doubles. You know damned well it can be done, others do it.

Slick, I just, a few weeks ago, received a back order from Midsouth. 8lbs. Bullseye, 8lbs. Unique, and 5000 Federal 150 primers, all in the same package, Hazmat $20.

Is the no primers and powder a Midway rule?
    Morgan

Banned
    Art Green is getting right at a dollar per pound plus shipping I think. I've got a standing order for 100 pounds a months for the next three and a half years. 55 pounds from Midays is over $220 plus shipping. Bill Ferguson isn't selling this stuff, or any alloys, anymore. Talked to him yesterday. Just got to old I think.

Boolit Buddy
    It's getting tough, no two ways about it. I am starting to think when I make my final move up to Washington in 3 or 4 years, I will be in easy driving distance to Lazer Cast Bullets. I may just have to shoot their stuff and then recover the lead from my home range and re-cast.