RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder cop ??

Powder cop ??

Several months ago after just finishing loading 2k 40S&W rounds I came to realize that between 1 and 150 of them had no powder. The last batch of that 2k was the 150 rounds and there was powder in the Lee powder measure on the Classic Turret press when I started that batch but it was empty after I finished. Didn't notice until I had mixed up the entire 2k in a bucket.

I plan to pull the FMJ bullets but haven't yet. Montana Gold TC, don't really know if the collet puller will hold them well enough.

So the question- what can I get to warn me of low powder in the hopper?
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Master
    I always check the powder level when I top off the primer feed. Watch each case as it is filled, before placing boolit. Have fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Sorry to hear of your dilemma. That is a load of carp!

That is why I like doing every boolit by hand. Drop measured-by-my-SECO-measure powder in the RCBS pan, dump into casing, and set a boolit in to indicate there is powder in there. I know it will not load thousands at a time but I do not need thousands at at time. I do 50 or 100 at a time. Mu method guarantees a load in every case and also guarantees there is no double loads either!

I do not prefer multi-stage presses for the many things that can go wrong. Just like on a production line......you can end up doing the same thing wrong many many times until someone catches the error.

Good luck fixing your problem.

bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    I know I know I know "just do it like I do and watch like you are supposed to". I've loaded untold thousands of rounds since the 70s, all had powder, and I understand the basics. That evening I fell into the rhythm of the turret press and screwed up, absolutely, and learned a good lesson.

I know there are monitors for (at least) Dillon equipment that will alert the really stupid guy at the bench if he isn't doing it the right way. Those monitors were developed for a reason and it's good to have the backup safeguard. So are proximity sensors on cars.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a powder cop that will work on a Lee autodisk?
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Moderator Emeritus

Any chance on being able to detect the no powder ones via weight?

Boolit Grand Master

All the dillons are is a small bell button type switch AA batery for power and a stop collar to hit the button buzzer or light and your ready to go. Could be made up in clay form and epoxy used for making the housing right on the lid of the lee powder measure. Would take some thinking and figuring but wouldnt be all that hard.

If you loaded those 2k in a single session that's 8k strokes! The best thing you can do is move to a progressive press and you wont be so tired. When I start getting tired I'll stop loading or I end up making mistakes. I don't know what you could do in the way of powder monitoring on the LCT press, but surely someone has come up with something as it's an extremely popular press.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Any chance on being able to detect the no powder ones via weight?
    I had assumed 4.9gr powder would be well within the round-to-round weight variance with the 165gr bullet and case. But another person and now you have prompted me to simply try it. I thought if I separated them by headstamp that maybe one of the weight variables would go away. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    All the dillons are is a small bell button type switch AA batery for power and a stop collar to hit the button buzzer or light and your ready to go. Could be made up in clay form and epoxy used for making the housing right on the lid of the lee powder measure. Would take some thinking and figuring but wouldnt be all that hard.
    Sounds cool as well as do-able. I had thought of making something with optical sensors but thought if I can just buy something already made and not stoopid expensive I'd go that way. I have a couple of friends with Dillons, I can check for what they know.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    If you loaded those 2k in a single session that's 8k strokes! The best thing you can do is move to a progressive press and you wont be so tired. When I start getting tired I'll stop loading or I end up making mistakes. I don't know what you could do in the way of powder monitoring on the LCT press, but surely someone has come up with something as it's an extremely popular press.
    Those 2k were over a several day span, where I'd come home from work and crank out a couple hundred, about an hour and a half. Nice way to decompress. One evening I was doing the last 150 to complete the 2k, that's when I dorked up.

Your eye can do it or there are other devices that can do it for you. Dillon sells them for the measure and there are a few choices that check each case (I use Dillon PC dies for this too).

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Your eye can do it ...
    Yep, if it's commanded to look. Stolen from another thread-

Originally Posted by jmorris

Yet another mechanical device. With each step you gain safety or reduce the chance for a mistake to occur.

Hopefully you never need them but they are there in case you do.
    Well stated my friend. I no-charged, not a safety issue like double-charged. But I don't want to do it again.

I'm coming close to realizing there isn't a powder hopper monitor for the Lee so I think I'll try to make it a DIY project. But I just discovered there is a powder checker for each drop- that'd be a homerun.
    Last edited by el34; 08-21-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: indicate partial quotation

el,
    cContact Dillon and buy a primer alert buzzer and a primer tube follower rod. A little epoxy will fasten the primer buzzer to the top of your powder reservoir. Drill a hole to let the follower rod pass throught the reservoir lid. Cut the rod to length so that it will trip the buzzer switch when the powder level is as low as you wish to allow and then epoxy a plastic washer of some sort to the end of the rod so it will ride on top of the powder.

Home made powder cop that I use for my bottle neck cases .... nothing automatic but strictly visual.
    Plane jane but works for my purpose ...
    Now you guys have me thinking on a big version for the powder bin on top .....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-cop-die
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post

Eyeballs work just fine for me.

I generally run out of primers before I run out of powder. Why not check powder when you add primers?

Dillon has some solutions; but I'm not sure they would work in your case. When I had a Dillon powder dump (without the sensor) on my LCT, the weight of the unit was enough so that the LCT would not rotate smoothly enough to index to the next stop. I much prefer the Dillon powder dump over the Lee options, so the LCT left and the 550 came in.
    Last edited by dudel; 08-21-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master

No matter what you use, always check visually. Don't rely on just one visual or mechanical check.

As for finding the squibs, any chance you can do the shake test and hear whether there is powder? Or is it close to capacity?
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Originally Posted by jmorris
    Your eye can do it.
    Yep, if it's commanded to look.
    There was no period after "your eye can do it" it was behind "or there are other devices that can do it for you."

This is the low powder sensor they sell for the hopper. I have never owned one myself but if I ever had a problem where I let the hopper run empty, I would buy one.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con..._Powder_Sensor

This is their powder check die. It checks for high or low powder charges in each case. I have these on all the machines I own, that will accept them.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...n_Powder_Check
    Last edited by jmorris; 08-21-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I tried the RCBS Lock-Out Die first but I don't like it because it gets powder stuck inside and is a pain to take apart and clean. So I took it apart and removed the steel bearings from the inside so that it can not lock up. And now, it works perfectly visually. I like to watch it to see how well my powder measure is measuring powder while I reload on my progressive press.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

I had the same issue with my lock out die...but I degrease and keep it clean. I am now up to three of them for my presses. I use them as a back up if I miss the powder drop or miss looking into the case. I only load 100 at a time in a session and take it slow, sometimes I load 200 if feeling at it. I load 50 in a loading block to check the cases for cracks, corrosion, and media debris. When the block is empty, I load up again, double check everything including weighing some powder drops charges and continue.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    There was no period after "your eye can do it" it was behind "or there are other devices that can do it for you."
    You're right and I apologize for pulling it out of context. The purpose was to admit my fault for not having 'commanded' my eyes to simply look.

I checked the Dillon links and especially like the case-by-case checker idea. Can't get no better than that and it doesn't come with human flaws.

I'm involved with product development and one of the top goals is to design out the dependency on operator correctness, especially with routine procedures and super-especially with things that can be catastrophic if not done correctly. Dillon realizes this as part of being a first class equipment manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    el,
    cContact Dillon and buy a primer alert buzzer and a primer tube follower rod. A little epoxy will fasten the primer buzzer to the top of your powder reservoir. Drill a hole to let the follower rod pass throught the reservoir lid. Cut the rod to length so that it will trip the buzzer switch when the powder level is as low as you wish to allow and then epoxy a plastic washer of some sort to the end of the rod so it will ride on top of the powder.
    Clever idea. I'm getting similar ideas but yours is already there, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Home made powder cop that I use for my bottle neck cases .... nothing automatic but strictly visual.
    Plane jane but works for my purpose ...
    Now you guys have me thinking on a big version for the powder bin on top .....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-cop-die
    Good job. A case checker is the ultimate goal.

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Dillon has some solutions; but I'm not sure they would work in your case. When I had a Dillon powder dump (without the sensor) on my LCT, the weight of the unit was enough so that the LCT would not rotate smoothly enough to index to the next stop.
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. It'd have to be light.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    No matter what you use, always check visually. Don't rely on just one visual or mechanical check.

As for finding the squibs, any chance you can do the shake test and hear whether there is powder? Or is it close to capacity?
    I'm thinking that having multiple safechecks is a good thing.
    I just tried the shaking idea on about 10 rounds, couldn't hear a thing. The charge half fills the case but the seating depth uses up most of the rest. Good idea though, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast