Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder cop ??

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Powder Cops!
    * Is dependent on the amount of powder remaining in the charger. If one just looks at the plastic tube, it is either black (sufficient powder) or one can see the opposite of the the plastic tube.
    * When reloading for the powder bar to put an accurate charge into the case - the charger should be maintained a minimum of being half full - But one has to LOOK!
    * OK - next Cop: Is the powder bar and powder funnel cleaned regularly? If maintenance is not performed, the slide will not move freely, the funnel can be clogged and no powder will be put into the case.
    So watch your Harbor Freight coupons and pick up one of these free LED lights and hang it on the press with the light shining into the case as you reload ... But one has to LOOK!

Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    You're right and I apologize for pulling it out of context. The purpose was to admit my fault for not having 'commanded' my eyes to simply look.

I checked the Dillon links and especially like the case-by-case checker idea. Can't get no better than that and it doesn't come with human flaws.
    No problem, just didn't want you to think I disliked the idea.

You can make them better. I wired directly into one of them for my PLC controlled 1050 so it works off the same power that the machine runs off of (no battery).

You can see how it works in this video.

Boolit Grand Master

Vigilance. All the mechanical alerts , do-dah's , warning systems, lights, bells and whistles will fail at some time or the other. You just got to keep a close eye on what you're doing.
    I guess doing something like this has kept me using the single stage press and loading in batches of 50 or 100, if you boo-boo you don't have that many rounds to disassemble.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    No problem, just didn't want you to think I disliked the idea.

You can make them better. I wired directly into one of them for my PLC controlled 1050 so it works off the same power that the machine runs off of (no battery).

You can see how it works in this video.

That is outstanding! I just love seeing excellence in any form.
    I can picture making it holler at me if something I did was wrong, something like "Hey stupid! You did it again!".
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Mold
    Two quick comment I do not recommend trying to find the empty ones by a weight difference, to many variables, believe me I have tried. And the comment about rocking forward every few rounds to insure that the powder is at the right level is a very good idea. Sorry you have to pull so many but there is no easy fix.

Boolit Master
    i too am like jmorris....i have 8 of these...

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...n_Powder_Check

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber bob View Post
    Two quick comment I do not recommend trying to find the empty ones by a weight difference, to many variables, believe me I have tried. And the comment about rocking forward every few rounds to insure that the powder is at the right level is a very good idea. Sorry you have to pull so many but there is no easy fix.
    There's one easy fix- forum buddy Blanco offered to take all 2k rounds off my hands, no questions asked!
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Moderator Emeritus

Hopper alarm would be an easy one... rod in a bushing, put a flat foot on it that rest on top of the powder, any number of triggers could be put on it to alert you from electrical to a simple flag that triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Hopper alarm would be an easy one... rod in a bushing, put a flat foot on it that rest on top of the powder, any number of triggers could be put on it to alert you from electrical to a simple flag that triggers.
    Such a simple concept but with plenty of room to get clever with implementation. Thanks for the easy visual. Since the hopper rotates with the turret, it'd all need to be lightweight, just another fun part of the puzzle. Maybe use soda straws, a reed switch, silver oxide 3v cell, and an LED. Or maybe put cell, reed switch, and LED in a tight cube suspended by a string up against the INSIDE of the hopper, and a magnet glued on the outside of the hopper.

How much powder does the hopper hold and what is your charge weight?

Boolit Master
    Since I crimp as a separate operation, all stations are used on the classic turret. I finally just bought a clamp on led on a gooseneck from a hardware store for $9. I hope to add a reservoir level alarm. I don't relish the job ahead of you, breaking all that down.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    How much powder does the hopper hold and what is your charge weight?
    Don't actually know what it'll hold, close to a pound I imagine. It's a pretty typical Lee powder measure/dispenser. Charge weight ranges from 3.x gr to 17gr depending on what I'm loading.

You thinking about weighing? And sensing/measuring a change with each dispense? And auto-confirming it was within established limits? That would rock.

Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    Since I crimp as a separate operation, all stations are used on the classic turret. I finally just bought a clamp on led on a gooseneck from a hardware store for $9. I hope to add a reservoir level alarm. I don't relish the job ahead of you, breaking all that down.
    Same here, I use all 4 holes. I'm working on an idea like yours with a clamp-on light, but auto-switched on only when the seating die is in position. The off-to-on would grab my attention. I'll post pics.

I fired a few from that 2k batch today. Empty mag, individually dropped each round directly into the chamber and checked the barrel afterward. Kinda paranoid, I've never had a squib and don't know how it feels and how obvious it is. So that was no fun.

Don't actually know what it'll hold, close to a pound I imagine. It's a pretty typical Lee powder measure/dispenser. Charge weight ranges from 3.x gr to 17gr depending on what I'm loading.
    You thinking about weighing?

No, there are 7000 grains in a pound. If your measure holds a pound you would get 411 rounds out of the measure. Just add powder once every two primer tubes and you will never go below half full with the 17 grain charge.

Fr the 3.0 grain charge, you will get 2333 rounds per pound so just add powder after 20 tubes full of primers and you will be OK.

Get a Dillon press. That will do it for you!

Boolit Master

I suggested you buy factory loaded ammo from now on it will be cheaper for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12