WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Black powder brass + steel shot

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana

Black powder brass + steel shot

Just acquired a sweet little .410 bore full choked ,single barrel H&R ( recent make) and with the price of .410 ammo decided to take my first foray into shot shell reloading.

Our DNR requires the use of steel shot for migratory game birds (mourning dove) on public DNR land.

So I decided to go with these components, Magtech 2 1/2" .410" brass shot shells, large pistol primed, charged with 40 grs. Goex FFg, a .030" over charge card, 1/8" fiber wad, and about 37 grs # 6 BPI annealed steel shot, then another card sealed with a little Elmer's white glue.

Think it'll work ? Only did three to start going to shoot them for a pattern at about 25 yds. I got about 2 boxes of lead 2 1/2" # 6's and 1 box 3" # 5's can use them on rabbit and squirrel and I can use them to judge the patterns of the hand loads.

I'm open to all tips and suggestions !
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master

Works just fine with the same load configuration in my 16 ga SxS...
    Super fun to shoot - especially if you don't tell your hunting partners what you have ahead of time. I imagine there will be considerably less smoke with a .410, you might actually get to see the bird get hit. I generally have to duck and look under the cloud to see the bird fall...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Our DNR requires the use of steel shot for migratory game birds (mourning dove) on public DNR land.
    Good luck shooting doves with a single barrel 410 shotgun. But if you a superior marksman, the reload you post will be A OK
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=John Boy;2900321]Good luck shooting doves with a single barrel 410 shotgun. But if you a superior marksman, the reload you post will be A OK[/QUOTE

Gotta laugh at that reply.

I set up a blind at a small pond, they water before going to roost and I shoot at them when they come in to land, I also jump a few when walking through the fields on my way to the squirrel woods.

You are correct, I need a flak gun to take them on the wing, but I think that's illegal too along with, (in my area), lead shot for mourning dove.

Might want to use a shot sleeve to keep the steel pellets from touching the bore. It'll likely pattern tighter that way too.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Probably a good idea, guess I could use the same paper I'm using for the cards ? May have to step down in shot size to 7's or 8's for a denser pattern, with the 6's the shot charge weighs just under 1/2 oz.