RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Mitchell Arms High Standard pistols?

Mitchell Arms High Standard pistols?

I have a question about the High Standards. It seems the Hamden guns are the most desirable and demand the biggest money, followed by Hartford, and apparently in 3rd is the current Texas guns? I also see some called Mitchells Arms High Standard's. They were made in Texas but are they the same as the current Texas guns? How do they compare?

Thanks for any info.

Boolit Master
    NO! Go to the Rimfirecentral forum, there are a lot of posts on the Mitchell HS pistols. Very few posters had good things to say about them.

Boolit Master
    If this is the same people as Mitchell's Mausers, Go find you someone else to spend your money with. D-bags.

Boolit Man
    They were/are not the same as the current Houston manufactured pistols. They were a stainless knock off, that did not function worth a hoot.
    High Standard MFG. sued Mitchell for trade dress infringement and general tarnishing of the firearm. Mitchell dropped production.
    I spent many hours of my life at Camp Perry and other Bulls eye venues expressing my deep regrets that they had purchased a Mitchell HS and there wasn't enough time in the day to make it a better gun. There were a few that worked and their owners loved them, But the reality was those were as rare as Ferrari 350 GTB s.
    They generally had a problem with the slide galling on the frame or on the hammer, lousy triggers, and other internal fit problems.
    My personal opinion: If you can find one buy it as a bad example or use it for a trolling weight on a large lake. They did shine.
    My two cents, (earned through experience).

Boolit Master

Thanks Grendi. My lake is already filled with my "weights" so I will stay far away from it.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Alrighty that answers that! I sure appreciate it. The Mitchell's do look shiny though I started looking for a 5" barrel for my S&W 41 and was saw a complete Mitchell HS Citation for less money, but now I know why. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master

I have been shooting BE since 1975 with various Hamden & Hartford model's ! I have never seen anybodys Mitchell Hi std work about 8 in all correctly, all were traded off or sold in short order ! Even the new Hi Std from TEXAS are a toss of the dice.

A friend just bought a Clark Custom Guns S&W 41 barrel , he got the BE model @$375.00 which weighs about 7 oz less than the std 5.5 " factory barrel.
    They also have a even lighter one without the extension that goes to over the slide assy as with the factory barrel .

Boolit Master

Anybody ever run across a Mitchell High Standard riot type shotgun? I bought one several years ago at a gun show. I've not shot it enough to determine if it is long term reliable. All I can tell you is that it is heavy.

This thread doesn't give me a lot of warm fuzzies about it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

A friend has an orgional HI STD 12 ga bullpup alley sweeper ! sweet

Boolit Master
    also didn't they change the mag so a regular mag wouldn't work? Buddy had one for a very short time. and my older mag didn't fit it right .
    the only thing Mitchell had that I know of that worked was the 50 rd mag for a ruger 10-22.

Boolit Master

Sorry i dont remember as it was 15 or so years ago ! but he still has the shotgun.