WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An open offer

Boolit Buddy
    Ok so more then a few members have treated me very very well when i have needed something .
    So i am going to try to repay that right here

I dont have much money or extra stuff but what i do have is a brand new hobby lathe ..

So here is my offer .. if you happen to have something you want or need made and it is within my abilities to make it .. i will do it free of charge

Dont be bashfull about asking if you need something done that isnt shooting /casting /reloading related

One of the reasons i bought the lathe is the inability to get simple machine work done at any price

Just ask away .. if i have material and think i can do it ill give it a shot
    Last edited by stephenj; 08-20-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Stupid tablet

would you be able to do a push through (Lee style) sizer in a .460?

Boolit Master

How about a push through sizer (Lee style) in .430"?

Boolit Buddy
    Push threw sizers seem to be pretty popular .

I am going to start to make one up for brstevens after dinner .
    Let me get his perfected and we can move forward from there .
    I think i have enough drill rod to make a few push threw sizers provided i dont have many screw ups

Boolit Master
    Wow StephenJ... with an offer like that, I'll FIND something I'd like done...

Great way to hone your skills!

I would love to have a gas check maker for my .22 caliber if you wanted to give it a whirl.

Plans that Idz posted --- http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gas-checkmaker
    would work well. I'd locate and provide the threaded rod for a few in turn for you turning me one.
    John

Banned
    I'd like a lee style push through sizer in .426". I wouldn't feel right just taking it for free though.
    Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-20-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well i had an idea i was opening a large can of worms
    No worries though .. i have enough drill rod to do two more push threw sizers .
    So after i get brstevens sizer made ill throw all the requests in a hat and draw two names .

Now as to the gas check maker ... here is my only issue with this ... we have another member or two making these .
    And well id realy hate to step on another members livelyhood .
    Feel free to give me an opinion on the subject .

Anyhoo ... i got a start on brstevens sizer .
    The hole is drilled chamfered and ready for a polish .. the die body is relief cut and ready to be threaded and parted off .
    I managed to get the gears changed and a new threading tool ground before i lost energy and came in for the night .
    Another hour or so tomarow and ill have it done .

Boolit Master

Not trying to put anyone down, but it is easy to hone a push through sizer out several thousandths if necessary. .430 is only .001 more than .429 and .460 is only .003" more than .457". and Lee makes a .430 by the way. Just wrap some fine grit sandpaper around a dowel and roll the die around it. Much easier than trying to turn a new one on a lathe. The .426 may be made from a .410 sizer but that's a lot of elbow grease.

And to the OP, Good on ya! This is what makes this site the best!

Boolit Master

Can you do a .352" push-through?

eta: I would happily pay for one after you get tired of working for free.
    Last edited by C. Latch; 08-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Sure i can do a .352 .. ill throw your name in the hat

I dont look at it as working for free ... i like to think of it as earning experiance .

Once i get some extra cash to buy materials ill make a few more as well .. it will just be a few weeks .

Boolit Buddy

I recently bought a Lee sizing die in .243. If I sent it to you could you ream it out to .269? I've heard that the Lee sizing dies are carbide and a friend of mine doesn't have carbide tools to use.

Boolit Buddy
    Old scribe

I cant answer that .. i havent ever used any of the lee push threw dies myself so i dont know what they are made from either .
    And unfortunatly at the moment i dont have or use any carbide tools either .

But that is going to change in the very near future i have plans on upgrading to carbide insert tools once i have the jingle

One thing you could try to determine if i could cut it with hss tools is to take a hss drill bit and see if it will start to cut somewhere on the outside of the die body if so i can open it up

Boolit Buddy
    Just something to consider--unless you have a lathe that will turn high (3-4 thousand) rpm carbide will not give you much return for your money.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Old Scribe View Post
    I've heard that the Lee sizing dies are carbide and a friend of mine doesn't have carbide tools to use.

If you are talking about lee push through bullet sizers then, no, they are not carbide and can be easily lapped larger

Boolit Master
    Great! Thanks for the offer! If its not too much trouble I would like a Mini Sharps in 25 Hornet please. 24"barrel with a 1/14" twist. Straight grip will be OK. Not to be too pushy but can you give an idea of when I can expect delivery?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Great! Thanks for the offer! If its not too much trouble I would like a Mini Sharps in 25 Hornet please. 24"barrel with a 1/14" twist. Straight grip will be OK. Not to be too pushy but can you give an idea of when I can expect delivery?
    Make that two but I want mine in 22 K-Hornet

P.S. That is a very nice offer.

Boolit Master
    Why bother making it out of drill rod? Get on ebay and buy a 7/8-14 grade 8 bolt and be ahead by a long shot.

Boolit Grand Master

Carbide wont cut carbide either. It takes diamond to cut carbide and it is tricky. We machined carbide with an edm machine and then ground with diamond for final finish if needed. Carbide will cut hardened steels and it may stay sharp longer. The push thrus have a lead in angle to squeeze bullet down going into straight bore size may shave lead off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast