Thread: 25 acp rifle?

Boolit Master
    Clark,
    s
    Simply put, "YOU SCARE ME'!
    ha ha.
    I would LOVE to hear this!

Boolit Master

Company out of Alaska...Ace something or another..

Boolit Buddy
    From what I've read the 25 acp doesnt have the case capacity to work well in a rifle barrel. An easier way for me was to load 22hornet to 22lr speeds with a 45gr bullet.

Boolit Mold
    Second that - cheap break open shotgun plus an epoxied in liner, modify/build up the extractor. Easiest way to go I think!

Edit - not much umph there, wouldn't make it longer than 16.25"!

psweigle,
    I am the daffy SOB that built it. I am happy with the limited progress I have made with it, however, costs can be an issue. The problem centers on the fact that you are using a .251 groove depth barrel. All other .25's use .257 groove depth. The only source for a barrel is Lothar Walther (YIKES!!!), but you can get a liner in the correct size from Buffalo arms at a reduced cost. Otherwise, the only other difficulty is that nobody has a reamer for rent and purchase is the only option. I am letting that thread I started die, since it has strayed horribly. If you want to know more PM me and I can give you my contact info.

Mark

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    my reason is simple, I have a bunch of 25 auto cases and a boatload of patience
    Now, that response beats them all! Somewhere in the area of wishing it's a cheap and easy conversion but don't have a clue what all is involved!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Not so crazy, I once built a TCR83 barrel in "30 Special" cause I was looking at 2 cat litter buckets of 38 special brass and I had a Seaco 30 cal mold I liked Kinda useless but fun and educational.

Boolit Buddy
    Yup! the Hornet at 1200 fps is my goto turtle round. Stops the charge every time.

Boolit Master
    looks like it is going to be a shotgun lined to 25 acp with a 16.25 inch barrel. I am going to use a rifled 12 inch insert epoxied in place and a modified extractor. When this is done, I will post all of the headaches and heartbreaks I went through. Thanks to all for the posts. Crank, when I get this done, I would very much like to get together with you to compare projects.

psweigle,
    No problem, maybe I will have found time to get back out with my little creation for more intelligence gathering. I need to load up some more ammo for another outing. If you need any suggestions or guidance shoot me a PM. Life has kept me a bit distracted from my guns, so I haven't worked on any of my projects recently, but I will always find time if you need any help.

Mark

instead of reworking an extractor I'd just cut a small notch just big enough to get a finger nail under to extract the case. I've thought about doing this with an old single shot 20 guage while it will still fire a round the pressure and recoil is enough to open the action and often throws the shot very low. I'm not sure I'd do it in .25ACP personally but in something like .22 or .32 I think would make a great trainer for teaching a small statured shooter how to handle a full size weapon without ecessive weight, noise, recoil, or real expense. If you were to Epoxy the chamber insert into the acton it would make that part very think and easy to drill and tap for any type of site set up either irons or even a cheap RedDot.

all just ideas ATM

looking forward to seeing how your build turns out.

Boolit Bub
    Maybe a little off topic, but has the .25ACP ever been necked down to .22 cal? If it were practical you have a nice supply of brass to experiment with.

Boolit Master
    auto5man, thats a thought. I may check on that a little later down the road

Boolit Master
    Didn't Charter Arms offer that funky AR 7 in 25 ACP?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by auto5man View Post
    Maybe a little off topic, but has the .25ACP ever been necked down to .22 cal? If it were practical you have a nice supply of brass to experiment with.
    Seems to me there was a wildcat back around 1980 called .22 Flea; it might have been legitimized in the NAA cartridge series (similar to .32 NAA, necked down from .380, I seem to recall a .25 NAA necked down from .32 ACP as well).

Woops, just looked it up, the .22 Flea was a .32 ACP necked to .22 -- you might be able to claim this one (good luck with dies, maybe shorten a .22 Hornet sizer?).

Why bother? Just get a 9mm carbine.

Boolit Master
    redman and track of the wolf have barrel liners. a single shot 410 bored out and an 11 inch liner installed should be perfect. and yes, it is legal, as long as the shotgun barrel is no shorter than 16 inches. i will be having it cut to 16.5 just to be safe. according to ballistics by the inch, that barrel length seems to be optimal for my needs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Why bother? Just get a 9mm carbine.
    because i want one, and no one has one for sale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    Seems to me there was a wildcat back around 1980 called .22 Flea; it might have been legitimized in the NAA cartridge series (similar to .32 NAA, necked down from .380, I seem to recall a .25 NAA necked down from .32 ACP as well).

Woops, just looked it up, the .22 Flea was a .32 ACP necked to .22 -- you might be able to claim this one (good luck with dies, maybe shorten a .22 Hornet sizer?).
    not the route i'm wanting to go. i already have 25 acp dies and all the stuff a guy could ever need to make bullets. i am however looking for more molds.

Boolit Buddy
    I do understand the 'want one'...lol The TJ liners are .250 bore and .243 land...available up to at least .500, and since he can hammer .257's to .560 I bed he can do 25 auto to that OD as well...and maybe he has some tubing that will allow bigger.

LBT has a high-BC, rebated boat tail in .25 that would do well in the 14" twist TJ barrel( it was made to deliver 1.5 SF at up to near Mach ). Just because it was designed for the Air Rifles does not mean it won't do well in the weaker powder burning set up...LOL Ask Veral for the 25 Bob's Boat Tail.
    cheers,
    Douglas
    1990 D250, NV5600, Luk 05-101, 16cm housing, TST Kit KDP tab, 366 spring, Powr-Lok'd 3.07, HX35...IC soon
    She wasn't built to travel at the speed a rumour flies

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast