RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Cast Iron Cookware.

Boolit Bub

New Cast Iron Cookware.

My old SS stuff is from the late 40's and early 50's and is really starting to wear out...
    I'm thinking of going to cast iron. My grandmother and mother both swore that Cast Iron was better.... well they are both long gone now so I cant get anymore info from them...

I was wondering if anyone here is using any of the new manufactured cast iron cookware ? What brands are good ... any to avoid ?.... any suggestions or ideas ?
    National Rifle Association Life / Endowment
    California Rifle & Pistol Association / Life
    Garand Collectors Association
    Cast Bullet Association

Boolit Master

Cast Iron Cookwear

Obsolete,
    Try "Lodge" brand, they come either raw or seasoned ready to use.
    Look for them in outlet malls, not sure what your 20 is but I'm sure you can find one close by checking online.
    Hard to beat a "deer roast" slow cooked with potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, celery and mushrooms in a dutch oven on 200 F overnight. As a hunt club cook I always soak any game in cheap cola overnight, will tenderize and remove some of the game taste. Deer burger is soaked for a few hours with the same results.
    Good luck and Good eating!

10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.

Moderator Emeritus

Cook with Lodge smelt ww with anything else. I would stay away from the oriental imports as the lids don't fit tight and steam and moisture loss changes how the food cooks. Go with legs for outdoor use and no legs for on top of a stove. I like dutch ovens and flat grills for most of my cast use. My wife thinnks the frypans are too heavy. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    +1 on using Lodge. If you purchase the "pre-seasoned cookware" be prepared to season it anyway. I've cooked on cast iron all my life, and all this type of cast iron that I bought needed to be seasoned again within a month.

Everett

Boolit Master
    Don't forget garage sales and flea markets.

I have several pieces of Griswold I found cheap. Clean them and reseason, so far they are great and continue to get better.

The new stuff I have is Lodge and ???. Both appeared to have been sand cast with a coarse sand but after seasoning and use, both brands have smoothed out nicely.

Cast iron, the original non stick surface.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Mold
    I recomend Lodge also. It is easy to obtain, and absolutely no problems over the years with their pans, lids, or dutch ovens. Great stuff. I love it whether cooking in camp or in the kitchen at home.

Boolit Bub
    Wow... Sounds like Lodge is what to look for. I'm in Northern California so I'm thinking it shouldnt be too hard to find.

10-X .... Yer killin me..... That sounds soooooooo good and I have no venison left in the freezer ARRRRGGGHHHH............. hmmm got some Salmon tho... think I'll save that for the new Iron.

My thanks to you all !
    National Rifle Association Life / Endowment
    California Rifle & Pistol Association / Life
    Garand Collectors Association
    Cast Bullet Association

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you get some of the Chinkanese, or other rough cast cookwear, there is a solution.
    I put a fine disc on my 4" Makita grinder, and slicked up the inside of a dutch oven, before seasoning it. Slicker than snot on a doorknob.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Recipes to die for

Maybe we should start a post of our "best" recipes. Seems there was one a while back?
    Don't have many but a few got mention in the local "rag" by the hunting reporter back in VA......................Maybe why we have a few extra pounds.
    Why die from just old age? or is that an oxymoron?
    Feel free to P.M. me for some good eats......

10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran

Boolit Master

Talking Green Chile Venison Stew

Maybe we should start a post of our "best" recipes.

OR something like that . . . .
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Maybe we should start a post of our "best" recipes.

OR something like that . . . .
    Cast pics has a receipe section that is pretty good. Gianni

Boolit Master

BEST Salsa you will ever eat

OK, I can't resist.....so here goes,
    as the late Justin Wilson used to say,"I Guarantee",this will be the Best Salsa you will eat......

1-Lg Red Onion
    1-Lg Green Pepper
    5-6 Cloves of Garlic or 4-6 Tbl Spoons of minced Garlic
    1/2 Lb of Bacon
    8 Oz little Smokies(or similar) beef sausages
    16 Oz Honey
    1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
    16-24 Oz Jar of "Pace" Pecante Sauce, Hot or Medium
    16 Oz Can of Red Kidney Beans
    16 Oz Bottle of Cheap Ketchup
    Franks Hot Sauce
    Crushed Red Peppers
    16 Oz jar of Jalapeno Peppers

Dice Red onion and Green Pepper, smash Garlic Cloves, Cut Bacon into 1/4-1/2 strips(cross ways), Cut beef sausages into 3 pieces.
    Fry Bacon in LARGE CAST IRON Skilett, once done drain off all but about 3-4 Tbl Spoons of fat. Set aside fried Bacon
    Fry Onion, Green Pepper and Garlic in remaining Bacon Grease until done.
    In a Large Pot add Pace Pecante Sauce, Ketchup, Honey,Mustard Kidney Beans Onion, Green Pepper,Garlic and Cut up beef Sausages.
    Heat On LOW till it Boils,Bubbles......DO NOT LET IT STICK! Stir Often or get the grandkids to do the stirring........or your own "Chilrens" to do the stirring.
    Now Comes the Point Where You Have To Decide Who Is Going To Eat This........Men ..or Others
    Begin Adding Franks Hot Sauce by The Tablespoon......
    Then add the Crushed Red Peppers by the 1/4 teaspoon......Be Careful if Women folk are around and tempted to try it.
    Cook on low for about 1 Hour...........It will be MUCH Hotter after it sits over night.
    Spoon out of the pot into "Glad" or "Tupperware" storage containers and place in the Refrig.
    Serve with Corn Chips, Any Cracker, or Ridged Potato Chips at any get together. Make sure there is enough Beer or Other Cooling Beverages on Hand.

For and added treat add this to an Omelet with onion, green pepper, mushrooms, shrimp, cheese and tomato the morning after...........

Good Eating!

10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    As stated Lodge is the best "new" cast iron, but did you know Lodge has a factory outlet store just north of Chattanooga TN? The town is South Pittsburg. I try to stop when ever I am through the area. Sometimes they have good prices on end of run items.

Boolit Master
    Definitely Loge. I season mine with bacon grease in the oven. Yes, I know they come pre-seasoned, but I can't help myself. Another great way to increase the seasoning process quickly is to use the pan as a deep dish pizza pan. Grease liberally and bake your homemade pizza in it. See recipe thread for crust recipe...
    Selmerfan

Boolit Mold
    Lodge mfg, Cajun Cast Iron is good stuff and a little cheaper in price

I have 15 pieces of cast iron, wont cook in anything else...

Larstar’s Creole Jambalaya (my recipe)

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil
    2 cups chopped yellow onion
    2 cups chopped green bell peppers (1 Cup Red and 1 cup Green)
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (J) or to taste
    1 lb. Andouille smoked sausage, (or any smoked sausage) cut length wise in half, cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices
    1 lb. Chicken, cut into bitesize pieces (I use thigh meat)
    1/2 lb Tasso or Smoked Ham, cut in 3/8 inch cubes
    4 bay leaves
    2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped canned or fresh tomatoes (J) Fresh is best
    2 tbs. chopped garlic (J) 1 tbs. for non-garlic lovers (L)
    1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined
    2 cups long-grain rice
    5 cups chicken-broth (J) broth is best or 5 cups water
    1/2 cup chopped green onions or scallions (J) green part only
    1/2 cup chopped parsley

Preparation:

In a large Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, and celery. Season with salt, cayenne, and cook stirring, until vegetables are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, chicken tasso and cook stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the bay leaves, tomatoes, garlic, and shrimp and cook, stirring, for 2 Minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add broth and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to Medium-low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in the green onions and parsley, remove the bay leaves, and serve HOT!

Makes 6 to 8 Servings
    Last edited by .38/55; 02-19-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Lodge mfg, Cajun Cast Iron is good stuff and a little cheaper in price

I have 15 pieces of cast iron, wont cook in anything else...

Shrimp, Andouille and Crawfish Sausage Gumbo w/Tasso (my recipe)

Ingredients:

1 cup peanut oil (sausage/bacon drippings/vegetable oil)
    1 cup all purpose flour
    3 medium-large onions, chopped (3-4 cups medium-diced)
    2 green bell peppers, chopped (1 Red/1 Green) (2 cups medium-diced)
    4 celery stalks, chopped
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup parsley, chopped
    6-8 cloves of minced garlic
    1-2 teaspoons salt (taste)
    1/2-1 teaspoonn cayenne pepper (taste) (tasso will add heat as well!)
    1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (taste)
    1/2-1 teaspoon onion powder (taste)
    1/2-1 teaspoon Hot Smoked Paprika (taste)
    1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme, crumbled
    4 bay leaves
    8-10 cups Shrimp stock
    2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 pound smoked andouille or kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise then sliced 1/4 inch thick pieces)
    1 pound crawfish sausage
    1/2 pound Tasso Smoked meat (optional) (sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces)
    1/4 cup Green Onion (chopped, garnish)
    1/4 cup Parsley (chopped, garnish)
    freshly cooked long-grain rice

Have Tabasco and File powder at hand!)

For you Okra lovers add:

1/2 pound okra, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices

Preparation:

Make shrimp stock: peel shrimp and place shells and heads into a large soup pot along with 10 cups water over high heat; (add some peppercorns, a few stalks of celery, a small onion, chopped, a few bay leafs, and a little parsley), Season peeled shrimp with salt, pepper and some tabasco sauce and place back in the refrigerator.
    When water boils, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes, drain stock and keep warm(stock should reduce to about 8 cups)

Brown the sausage and tasso over medium-high heat in a dutch oven; remove from pan, leaving any fat that renders out, and keep warm. Turn heat to high.

Make a roux: add and heat oil in the Dutch oven you used to brown the sausage until very hot; dump flour in all at once and whisk vigorously, breaking up any lumps, until the roux is chocolate brown. (note: you can't walk away from this step – whisk continuously.) As soon as the roux reaches the desired color, about 20-45 minutes, (depending on heat), Immediately add the cooked sausage, tasso, and half of the celery, onions and bell peppers,(okra if using). Cook 5 minutes, stirring and scraping bottom of pan often. Stir in garlic, green onions, parsley, continue to cook for 3-5 minutes. Add salt, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, oregano and paprika, stir to combine, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in drained shrimp stock, bay leaves and a couple of dashes Tabasco, bring to boil, lower fire to medium and simmer for 30 minutes. add remaining vegtables and simmer 30 more minutes. (Add okra if using, reduce heat and simmer until okra is tender, about 15 minutes)

Add shrimp to gumbo and simmer until just cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.

Note for Seafood Gumbo:
    Add 1 Quart oysters, 1 pound Lump crabmeat and/or 1 pound crab Claws, simmer for additional 5 minutes.

Mound a cup of steamed rice in soup bowls. Ladle gumbo over. Garnish with green onions and parsley.

Yields 8-10 servings

Boolit Buddy

I use Lodge also. I'm sure the Griswold would be good, but they are collecter items now, some going for hundreds of dollars.
    I have some Chincom stuff also and hit it with the grinder like Waksupi did,
    Everytime I use the cast stuff, I spray a little Pam into it first before putting in the grease/oil. I don't know if it really makes any difference, but I never have anything stick to it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some newer Lodge cookware that's just as good as my older Wagner stuff. Once it gets broke-in, I can't tell the difference.

However, the cast-iron cookware that is fast becoming my favorite is the stuff that has the enameled surface. Several outfits make some of it, including Lodge, but it is usually cost prohibitive. I've been finding stuff at garage sales and eBay that is new or like-new at dandy prices.

The most common brand of the enameled stuff is Desco or Descoware and it's made in Belgium - great stuff - quick and easy to clean up. My wife is using more and more of it in the kitchen - particularly the enameled cast iron baking and broiling trays.

http://search.ebay.com/descoware_W0Q...gbrZ1QQsascsZ1

xtm

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken O View Post
    I use Lodge also. I'm sure the Griswold would be good, but they are collecter items now, some going for hundreds of dollars.
    I have some Chincom stuff also and hit it with the grinder like Waksupi did,
    Everytime I use the cast stuff, I spray a little Pam into it first before putting in the grease/oil. I don't know if it really makes any difference, but I never have anything stick to it.
    Pam can bake on a finish that IME will cause your patina or cured surface to pull off easier resulting in recuring. I'd stick to an oil coat or cooking 1/4 lb of bacon in it before cooking what ever else you have planned, breads & cakes excepted. Gianni

These days I pretty much use Lodge exclusively. I once had some Wagner pieces (just before they went out of business in the '70's. Not too bad, but one of the frying pans had a high spot in the middle. The new Lodge process which preseasons seems to work very well, according to friends who bought new pieces and had never done food in cast iron before.

Cast Iron cookware could outlast you and your grandchildren. I'd be careful about the stuff in antique shops and yard sales, though--particularly small pots. Some old geezer back in the day may have used momma's cookware to cast fishing sinkers and 38-55 deer rifle bullets in them. What oozed into the pores of those pieces long ago will never leach out, except into your food.