Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: single shot 25 acp rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The .32 ACP or .32 S&W Long are viable options. I've had light, single-shot rifles in the 4.5 pound range done in both. The S&W Long was done using a normal .30 Cal. rifle barrel and with 10" twist can handle bullets up to 150 grains with the lightest charge which will exit the barrel, about 1 grain of Bullsye or TitleGroup. Little louder than an air rifle in a 26" barrel.
    I thought about that one too, but I really want to do the 25acp first. thank you, and when I get to that one, I will be looking you up!

Boolit Master
    Outpost75,
    I want one of those as well. It is much easier to find a doner barrel for it. If the 25 acp goes smoothly, and im sure it will, I already have most of what I need to do a 32 mag. minus the reamer. Thanks for the post.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... interesting project. A small, light, break open single shot with a long-ish (20-24 inch) barrel wouldn't make any more noise than a BB gun, but launching #3 buckshot would be a lot more effective on garden pests. And, it wouldn't bother the neighbors. Would also be a nice squirrel rifle.

If I didn't already have a 22 Hornet, I'd be looking for something to build into one of these. My hornet, loaded with a piece of #4 buckshot on top of two grains of Bullseye with poke a hole through a 2x4 from across the yard. Loudest part is the ball hitting the wood, "Whack!" - sounds like someone hitting it with a hammer.

Boolit Master

Need a performance edge on the 25 ACP ?? My 25-20 has been doing that of over a hundred years.

Boolit Master

Not too sure if the Stevens action is the way to go, most of the older ones are really right on the edge as far as safety with even the HV .22 LR goes the NEF or H&R would be a far better choice.
    Check with Track of the Wolf they one time offered the correct barrel liner by the inch and I do know there are other sources out there for liners and barrels .
    This would be a fun project and with a bit of fore thought ( and a few bux !! ) you could have one heck of a neat bunny gun.

As a PS

As to why do such a project--- why not. If we go by some people's adage, why not down load a 25-20-- with that idea, why not down load a 250 Savage better yet, why not down load the 257 Roberts or even much better yet didn't Weatherby make some kind of 25 caliber weed burner-- ya, that would do it.
    There would be nothing wrong at all coming up with such a super small 25 caliber, I think it would make one neat bunny gun.
    Lead the way and I know others will follow and let us know how it is coming.
    Last edited by Reg; 09-15-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Just for "Giggles" the .25 Stevens RF (Long) fired a 67 grain bullet at around 950fps (smokeless powder loadings) to 1100fps (Black Powder loadings).
    The .25ACP out of an 18" barrel yields around 970 fps to 1050fps using a 50 grain bullet (depends on the Manufacturer of the cartridges according to tests).
    The Current .25ACP is listed as developing about 17,400psi (Piezeo Method) by CIP, the European Firearms regulating body.
    Currently the only ratings I find for the .25 Stevens RF is around 23,000psi, possibly CUP instead of Piezeo method.
    There is also a "25-10 Halsted" that is a Center Fire Replacement for the .25 Stevens except it uses 'rifle size' (.257") bullets instead of 'Pistol size' (250") bullets. Since it is based upon reforming the .22 Hornet Brass, it is probably capable of up to something near 40,000psi in a STRONG action. Loaded down to the nominal 1100fps of original .25 Stevens Cartridge should give the same, reported excellent, 'Pot Meat' getting capabilities without over stressing any action previously chambered in .25 Stevens RF.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-14-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Easiest and cheapest way would be to stub a H&R shot gun barrel to 25 ACP fit it to a receiver with a small firing pin and enjoy!
    George

Boolit Mold
    Good to see this thread back up. I also have plans to build a .25 auto rifle, I'm still undecided on what type of action to build but I have already made the D bit chamber reamer and am slowly collecting brass and reloading equipment. That project comes after building a steel .25 pistol so it will be awhile

In a solid platform you should be able to push 25 acp brass well past the 14-18k CUP factory loads and data, saami spec is 25k CUP and I've heard of people shoving as much bullseye as they could fit inside a case with no pressure signs. The cases are definitely overbuilt.
    An interesting note is that 5.7x28 has a similar rim diameter.
    Last edited by minimotos95; 10-09-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    loads for: 45 acp and super, 38/357. formerly, 7mmRM
    in the future: 25 acp, 357 sig and something based on 223 brass.

Boolit Master
    Another "Giggle" point, the .25ACP can hold 4.5 Grains of 3Fg GOEX compressed so the bullet seats at .850" overall length and might hold slightly more if bullet seated to .900" overall length.

BP in a Semi Auto Pistol is not considered nice for Cleanup but think of the surprise at a Range when touched off in a single shot?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Buddy
    I had a thought along the same lines as the op but I picked the H&R handi-rifle single shot in 22 Hornet as the base cartridge. I reamed it to a 22 K-hornet becase the cases hold up for many more reloads than the standard hornet. It can be loaded to 22lr speeds with no problem. Rick!

Boolit Master
    Received my Tax Refund last week (Yes, I filed with an Extension, on Oct. 14th) and placed orders with three suppliers: "Track of the Wolfe" for a .25ACP liner 25 inches long; and "Lothar Walther" for a 6.35 Browning/.25ACP Barrel Blank, which made their October Shipment lists so should be coming soon; and "Pacific Tool and Guage" for two finish chamber reamers (.25ACP 'Match Grade' and .32 LongRF/.32 Long Colt CF) and two 'Go' Head space Gauges to match the reamers.

The Liner is listed as being 7/16" diameter so should allow good fitting for accuracy in an old barrel. Liner manufacturing tolerances are NOT Given so I will need to measure it carefully upon receipt.
    The New Blank is listed as 26mm OD, or about 1.02" diameter, and 605mm long, or about 23.8" long. Sadly LW does not make custom longer blanks in the 6.35mm groove diameter, so the final barrel will not be my desired 24 inches; however they do have a tight tolerance on internal diameters +/- .00078" so I know my bullets in it would need to be between .250" to .252" to fit.

The Match Grade Reamer should make a tight fitting chamber to improve overall accuracy of the LW barrel Blank when it is finish fitted to my Rifle Action.

Now I am eagerly awaiting the Shipments to come.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

If you decide on a barrel liner, go to T.J.'s (859-635-5560). That's where Track gets their liners. They have both the 25 ACP and .257 liner. The 25 ACP has been necked down to .10 and .14 caliber called the dart. Don't know where you would find a barrel for one. Max pressure for the 25 ACP is listed at 25,000, a little high for a Stevens favorite action but should work on a 44. If I were doing one I would go with the H&R / NEF action, much easier to find one at a good price. I have done several from 32 ACP up to 45 ACP. The hardest part is the extractor for the auto rounds.

Boolit Master
    A European company once marketed a .32 ACP autoloading small game rifle, and many years later another compamy marketed a small handgun along with a barrel and stock assembly that you could plug the pistol into to make a small game rifle, similar to some conversion units made for the Glock and 1911 pistols. Not sure if the latter pistol/rifle outfit was in .22 RF or in .25 ACP.

A centerfire version of the .22 LR cartridge was developed for use in custom small bore target pistols, more to allow experimentation with various bullets and powder charges than anything else. The inventor had a row with rules committees but pointed out that the rules did not state that .22 pistols had to be rimfire. The platform was a modified Colt Woodsman target model.

A .25 ACP rifle for small game sounds fine to me. I would not have made one for myself since I never cared for the .25 ACP as a pistol cartridge but to each his own.
    I'd like to hear how this effort turns out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Hmm, lots of 9mm SMG & Carbine's made - for real world defensive shooting....
    Not sure I remember right but what did they crack bin ladins' melon with?
    Was it an MP5?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Received my Tax Refund last week (Yes, I filed with an Extension, on Oct. 14th) and placed orders with three suppliers: "Track of the Wolfe" for a .25ACP liner 25 inches long; and "Lothar Walther" for a 6.35 Browning/.25ACP Barrel Blank, which made their October Shipment lists so should be coming soon; and "Pacific Tool and Guage" for two finish chamber reamers (.25ACP 'Match Grade' and .32 LongRF/.32 Long Colt CF) and two 'Go' Head space Gauges to match the reamers.

The Liner is listed as being 7/16" diameter so should allow good fitting for accuracy in an old barrel. Liner manufacturing tolerances are NOT Given so I will need to measure it carefully upon receipt.
    The New Blank is listed as 26mm OD, or about 1.02" diameter, and 605mm long, or about 23.8" long. Sadly LW does not make custom longer blanks in the 6.35mm groove diameter, so the final barrel will not be my desired 24 inches; however they do have a tight tolerance on internal diameters +/- .00078" so I know my bullets in it would need to be between .250" to .252" to fit.

The Match Grade Reamer should make a tight fitting chamber to improve overall accuracy of the LW barrel Blank when it is finish fitted to my Rifle Action.

Now I am eagerly awaiting the Shipments to come.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Both the Liner and the Lothar Walther Barrel Blank have arrived but I still have 'weeks to wait' for the Reamer.

In the mean time, I received my 'modified' Stevens 1915 Favorite Action back from my gunsmith fitted with my Stevens '.25 Stevens' Barrel properly head spaced and with a touched up Crown. As received it was fitted with a reproduction 1894 Stevens Favorite Extractor cut to fit the .25ACP rim, along with three others in .22RF, .25 Stevens, and .32 Long/.32 Long Colt sizes, all to fit this particular Action which has larger than normal pivots for the Breech Block and Lever. I have now stamped the Cartridge size on each and also the Action Serial Number on all four fo the Extractors and the original to the Action .22 Rf Extractor/Ejector.
    This Rifle is basically still 'In the White' with the barrel still showing the 'distress dings' of long use in the field.
    Wood is not from the gun originally, was purchased off Ebay auctions over time, but fits and looks reasonable.
    I have fitted the Barrel with a reproduction 'western' German silver Blade sight. presently the rear sight (small) dovetail is empty. I have temporarily mounted an old Lyman Tang Peep sight with integral two peep hole sizes (the small hole 'flips' down to uncover the large hole) but it may be too tall for short range work as the sight line at its lowest position is much higher than that of the typical Stevens fixed height rear sight.

Overall I am pleased with how this rifle is coming together out of used and new parts as available. It will be a happy time when I get it speaking again, even though it will only be at paper targets. My body no longer tolerates long hilly hikes and my County has a "No Hunting" Ordnance, except for Farmers who may shoot pests and Varmints in their Crops.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    sounds like a enteresting project a good little varmint gun for around the old homested.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flint45 View Post
    sounds like a enteresting project a good little varmint gun for around the old homested.
    Yes the old Stevens Favorites were good "Varmint" guns and used to take "Pot Meat" by many a youth; But as I said, my county has a "no hunting" Ordnance and in addition my City has a "no discharge of firearms" Ordnance so my homestead's Varmints are safe from my Favorite, but not from Traps and protected poison Bate Stations.

I need to go to a Commercial Range on the border of Angeles National Forest near here to shoot at Targets Legally, so the trips are dependent on my "Disposable Funds".

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-25-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Yes the old Stevens Favorites were good "Varmint" guns and sued to take "Pot Meat" by many a youth; But as I said, my county has a "no hunting" Ordnance and in addition my City has a "no discharge of firearms" Ordnance so my homestead's Varmints are safe from my Favorite, but not from Traps and protected poison Bate Stations.

I need to go to a Commercial Range on the border of Angeles National Forest near here to shoot at Targets Legally, so the trips are dependent on my "Disposable Funds".

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    You really need to check out weapons guild.. I know a forum member there built a 25acp single shot. Something on the lines of a chicopee??

Boolit Master
    The Weapons Guild is indeed an interesting site and I did register with them. It seems many are involved with machining their own firearm and the posts are very interesting and informative.

I learned that there are reports of Barrel failures in M1 Carbines converted to .45 Win. Mag. but my computer won't show me them when I try to "Google" the subject, maximum I get is a mostly advertizements listing and 8 actual site referrals. No second pages either.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-14-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    It is April 14th and my 'Disposable funds' have been Very Lean this winter, with unexpected Bills needing attention so I have not yet taken myself off to the Commercial Shooting range. Hopefully later in the Year things will become less 'Tight' for me.
    I have found and fitted a 'slot blank' in the Rear Dovetail so the little rifle now looks nearly finished. I will not be doing any refinishing on it until I have test fired it and am happy with its shooting condition.

On another Front, some friends are looking at my 1942 GPW Body/MB engined WW2 "Jeep" to use as a 'Service Vehicle' at air shows where they are doing the Pyrotechnics. They helped me get the tires pumped back up and looked it over for the work involved in running it again as it has not moved in about 5 years, due to needing a new battery and a priming fuel pump addition.
    When it is running it is fun to drive for local Errand trips but is not suitable for long Freeway Travel due to its Original Gearing. 45MPH is a nice Cruse Speed although it is capable of 60MPH for moderate lengths of time, but such speeds shorten its service life before Overhaul.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William