RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Thinking about getting into PCing

Banned

Thinking about getting into PCing

Ive read a few thread here, and I like the idea of PCing my bullets. I'm thinking of trying the tumble method since it seems to be the simplest and cheapest method for starting out. I had a few questions though.

How well do PC bullets hold up to sizing? Can they withstand only a little, or could I do something like size .314 down to .309? (just an example)

Can PC bullets be pushed to the same levels of speed as jacketed bullets? Do they still need a gas check?

How long and at what temperature do you usually cure the paint at?
    Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-19-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Pretty broad questions for just a y/n answer, you'd probably benefit greatly by checking out several threads in this section of the forum, and by just jumping in to see how it works for your situation.

1/ PC'd boolits hold up very well to sizing. Reducing 0.005 may or may not become difficult, your alloy hardness may play a part in that. Just give it a try.

2/ Jacketed velocity- several folks are approaching that, I certainly do, several load the same as lead, several load the same as plated. I load 357mag the same as jacketed (158g, 15.2g 2400, near max, 12.5BHN alloy) and 230RN 45ACP the same also (5.3gr HP-38). But there is no general belief that PC=jacketed except for not leading the barrel. Actual velocities seem to be a bit lower for PC boolits even with the same load used for jacketed.

3/ Jury's still out for a simple rule regarding gas checks, I'd say most folks are using them based on velocity, not based as much on PC, but you can get higher velocity with PC and therefore GC becomes more important.

4/ Cure the paint according to mfr's recommendation, most of them are 400F 15min or so. In my experience, those requirements are pretty forgiving but I wouldn't try much lower temps.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

I regularly size down .004 without issue. If it flakes, it wasn't cured properly.

Boolit Master
    I just resized some bullets that drop about .460 and PC'd up to about .465 down to 457 in one pass. It didn't feel like there was a ton of resistance to me, but I used a Lee Classic Cast (one of the stronger single stage presses).

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    All your questions are covered and answered in spades in the PC threads in the alternate coatings area.

Read......read......read.

Don't think about it............just go DO IT!

bangerjim