Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Experimenting and want a place to start

Boolit Grand Master

Experimenting and want a place to start

I load 3 bpcr rifles calibers are 40-65, 45-70, and 45--90. Bullets I load are 40 cal luman 400 grn snoover / postell and Old wests 400 grn nasa, 45 cal Lyman 500 grn round nose, 535 grn postell, and brooks adjustable paper patched. I have been using the 40-65 and nasa mostly this summer. I recently ordered some diffrent powders to try / test. I can get goex and thats what Ive been using in 2 f granulation so far. I ordered some swiss in 1.5 and 2f granulations and old ensford 1.5 and 2 f to test in these rifles. Im looking for info and a place to start with. Thanks guys

Boolit Mold
    What brand of brass do you have? I use Swiss 1 1/2 with Winchester brass. My experience Swiss does not like a lot of compression. There are a lot of variables with loading BP cartridges.

Guy

Boolit Grand Master

I have some winchester in 45-70 but alot of starline in all 3 calibers all is correct headstamp not reformed. I have and was hoping for some starting info to ease into these new powders easier.I can always start at no compression and work up.

I use the BACO Money grease groove bullet (520 gr) in front of 74 grains of Swiss 1 1/2------its is certainly "compressed"-----this bullet does not have reduced bands so seated pretty deep with all grease groves within the case-----shoots to ! 1/2 MOA when i'm doing my part.

Paper Patched i use a 0.444 creedmore from 65 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 ----to 80 grains of Swiss 1 1/2----slight compression i vary the wad column instead of compressing much---------about 2 MOA when i bear down. The 65 grain load is nice shooting silhouettes----the 80 grain load works well out past 800 yards

Hope this helps a bit

Dave

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I can always start at no compression and work up.
    If I were offering advice, it would be that.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.