MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: star sizing questions

Boolit Bub

star sizing questions

I have a 22 cal mold that drops at .225.
    I know it is generally accepted to have your mold cast .001 over the size you want, to prevent lube leakage.

Question#1 Can I run this thru a .225 die so that I am just lubeing it? or will this result in a mess due to lube leaking?

Question#2 What is the most you can size down a boolit without issues. Looking at 7mm thor by noe. Drops at .288 with acww. Could this be taken down to .285 in one pass?

So far, I have not sized anything but pistol boolits out of acww going down .001 with no issues.

I have not ordered any sizeing dies yet for the 22 or the 7mm until I can get some advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Boolit Master
    #1, Yes. You can lube and gas check at same diameter.
    #2, Three thousandths should pose no problems. Only concern I'd have is with a very heavy (long) 7mm boolit. Unless you are using a Star or Lee sizer, there could be the possibility of it getting bent from resistance going down into the die. I doubt this would happen, but has been known to happen to me when making a bigger jump down in size. If unsure, get a Lee die, try it. If you don't want to tumble lube it, lube with Vaseline before sizing with the Lee, then lube with whatever other type you have.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Dies are often smaller in diameter than that stamped on them as bullets will rebound in size. This depends upon your alloy. Your best bet is to PM Lathesmith and discuss actual die dimensioning with him. He'll be able to set you up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer401 View Post
    Dies are often smaller in diameter than that stamped on them as bullets will rebound in size. This depends upon your alloy. Your best bet is to PM Lathesmith and discuss actual die dimensioning with him. He'll be able to set you up.
    True. A little rebound when they are correct in size, is better than going too small though. If you contact Lathesmith, be sure to mention the type of alloy you are using. Makes a difference too in final outcome.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    I wasn't sure what size you were looking to achieve. If .225 drops and shoots well without sizing down or leading, that's good. I'm presuming your 225 die should be a little under under size, thus lube would not be misdirected and coat your bullet indiscrim., as long as your die is aligned with the grooves. Push one through. Does it drops through without any resistance? Lube leaking you described, IMO, occurs when your trying to size a boolit in a different caliber(smaller)

i have a mold that drops about .003 to .004 over the stated die size. Water quenching a linotype/ COWW blend can sometimes cause issues--they'll basically get stuck. Otherwise, the magma star, or the Rcbs lam, has no problem digesting that degree over intended size for a length of your size

Boolit Bub
    Looks like I will be able to do what I was asking, I am getting an order together for my dies.
    Thanks again for answering my questions.