RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon CFE Pistol Powder

I second the 5.0 grain load for 158 grain boolits in 38 special. I used it with superb accuracy.
    Attachment 114105
    I was using a rest that day. 10 shots

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Fantastic powder for .380 also very good in 9mm and .40 Not enough pressure to use in a 45acp, end up with lots of unburned powder
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Banned
    Found a pound at $23.00, couldn't pass it up. So far I've tested it in .38 Special, 9x19, and .45 ACP. No better or worse than anything else in the same speed range. Quite a bit of cast data available from Hogdon. It is available now, many other powders are not!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I second the 5.0 grain load for 158 grain boolits in 38 special. I used it with superb accuracy.
    Attachment 114105
    I was using a rest that day. 10 shots
    I would be thrilled with that!

CFE is looking good.

Boolit Bub
    40 S&w - 6.9gr CFE Pistol under a NOE 402-160-RN. Hi Tec coated and sized .402 RP Brass. Sig 2340

2 handed unsupported

5 rds @ 7yds
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015_2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	114178

10 rds @ 15yds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014_2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	114179

Meters well in a Dillon. Have not tried it in other cals yet but yea I'll be buying more.

Banned
    A quick update:
    Using 5.0 grains of CFE Pistol powder behind a 158gr LSWC (RCBS), I received good results. I was shooting steel so I can't talk about the groups but it seemed to shoot point of aim. That load was very similar to my 4.4 grains of WW231 behind the same bullet. The CFE appeared to produce a little less smoke than the 231 (what powder doesn't ). I use BAC lube and I'm sure that accounts for a lot of the smoke but the CFE did seem to produce a bit less smoke.
    The loads performed flawlessly with no signs of excessive pressure and no leading.
    The rounds were loaded on a Dillon 550 and the CFE metered very well. I checked numerous rounds before seating the bullet and every charge was exactly the correct weight. The powder takes up little space in the 38 Special casing so it's like Bullseye in that regard. A double charge is certainly possible but that's not unique to CFE powder and vigilance is always called for when reloading.
    Considering it is available, it meters well in a powder measure and produces good results; it may be my new 38 Special powder!

P.S. Just an observation, but Hodgdon powders seem to be a bit more available than other powders. Don't know if that's a local aberration or they have increased their production.

I went back to the store I purchased my first batch from to get more. Guess what? They were out. Nothing on the shelves but rifle powders.
    Back to square one when I run it out I guess.

Banned
    Unpredictable powder supply seems to be the new normal.
    I'm hopeful the market is about saturated.

Boolit Mold
    Easy powder to work with on my dillon 550b

.38 ,and 9mm are shooting well with on starting loads

3/4 of my first 1 pound all down the barrel
    7 1/4 pounds to go.

Those are all good loads, but that 9mm 125 grain load is impressive. Very consistent.
    Is it as accurate as the numbers suggest it might be?

I tried 4.0 gr under 147gr. cop plated 9mm, and wasnt satisfied 4.2 gr. did much better. Didnt have time to drag out chrono. Almost to hot to shoot, but guess it never really gets to hot to go a few rounds.

playing with it in 10mm but trying to get all the info so I can use it in quickload. Called Hodgen and they refered me to St Marks powder in Fl. Waiting for a reply. Hodgen has no info for a 220gr in 10mm so I am guessing so far.
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Master

Hmmm anybody tried it in a 44special yet.I just got three new cans@ 21.00 a pound
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Do you coat boolits or traditional lube them? I wonder if the CFE has any adverse effect on coated boolits?
    I use it in 9mm, 40, 38 sp and 357 with hi tek coating and Acme bullets I didn't notice any issues and seems accurate for what I
    do.

Boolit Master

I have been wondering about the CFE pistol powder and I now think I will give it a try in 9mm and 380 the next time around, It looks like it will do exactly what I want.

Banned

CFE Pistol, and similarly BE86, do seem to outrun the older powders as promised in pistols; but has anyone tested them for reduced loads in rifles?

That versatility made this new handgun but longtime rifle loader forgo some FPS and stick with ancient, pricey, and hard to find Unique.

On the Hodgdon data site, there are recommended starting loads in handgun cartridges with pressures listed as low as 12600PSI. Since they seem to think it will work consistently at low pressures and up through magnum handgun pressures, I would think it would be suitable for reduced loads in rifle. You would just need to work up a load for your gun/cartridge.

Moderator Emeritus

One of the most interesting factors in CFE Pistol, to me at least, is the data listed by Hodgdon for the 200 gr. LSWC data that shows nearly a 100 fps. advantage compared to any other of their listed powders. That ain't a bad thing. Has anyone tried this powder and thier data and confirmed the velocity increase in a 5" .45 ACP?

I don't have a 45 Acp(HERESY!!!!) but I have confirmed the velocities listed on the site for 38 special, 9mm, 357 mag, and 40S&W. I can't think that the 45 would be off by much.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Taz. So far, I've been a day late and a dollar short on finding any, but first chance I get, I'll be getting some to try, and comparing it to my Unique, 700X and other loads for accuracy and velocity. I've got a few powders I've been looking for for a long time now, so maybe it'll turn up before I keel over?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast