MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hodgdon CFE Pistol Powder

Tried the 6gr starting load with 165gr plated, very snappy compared to my normal 40sw 4.5gr 231 load under HiTek coated 165gr cast TC. Of course a 100 fps more and supposedly less flash, lower pressure. Hard to shoot one handed. Wonder if it can be downloaded 10%.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Tried the 6gr starting load with 165gr plated, very snappy compared to my normal 40sw 4.5gr 231 load under HiTek coated 165gr cast TC. Of course a 100 fps more and supposedly less flash, lower pressure. Hard to shoot one handed. Wonder if it can be downloaded 10%.
    I would expect you could reduce the charge until your gun no longer cycled properly. The powder is used in low pressure cartridges such as 38 special after all.

Old thread but I thought worth a revisit, not much new news on this powder...

CFE Pistol is working for me as a slightly slower Unique, in many of the same applications.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180228_171328 (1).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	217023
    This is 7.5gr CFE under an Arsenal Molds 210gr RNFP, .44 magnum brass in a 6" S&W 629, 25 yards. Basically the Skeeter load. The powder didn't behave well with lighter loadings, erratic POI and some unburnt powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180324_085222.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	217024
    4.5gr CFE Pistol, 9mm cylinder in a Ruger flattop Blackhawk. Boolit is the Mihec 135gr RNFP, again fired at 25 yards. (If I can stop throwing the ever present one round flier I'll die happy.)

FWIW I tried it in .40 S&W and had short cycling with a Glock 22, multiple failures to feed per magazine, but it worked fine in a S&W M&P40 compact.