Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good cheap squirrel rifle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rob55 View Post
    The handi rifle looks like a nice choice. For me squirrel hunting is a one shot, one kill proposition. I personally love my 357/38 Winchester. But I've had it a long time. I've never tried to cycle or fire ball in it. Loading ball in the 357 handi rifle and 357 gas checked BOOLITS. This young man could take everything from chipmunks to whitetail inside 50 yards. Is there a 32 cal handi rifle barrel? That could be a sweet small game rifle.
    I didn't see anything in the .32 caliber range on the H&R barrel replacement web page. The closest that I saw would be the .308 which would really give a LARGE range of possible loadings. They even have one in .30-06 and you could increase the range on the upper end a bit with that while still allowing you to shoot low velocity round balls at squirrels if you so desired. Personally, I would choose the .308 since the brass is easier to find instead of the .30-06. Besides, I already reload for .308, so I wouldn't have to buy any new dies or anything.

Boolit Mold
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=435766403. Bet this would be a sweet center fire squirrel rifle. Hate the safety. If I had the time to fool around with it I'd be tempted. 32 20 has a tack driver reputation.

Boolit Master
    A .360 RB in any of the '.38/.357' caliber revolver cartridges is a great small game load.

Boolit Master
    .22 shorts can damage a rifle's chamber, extended use WILL erode the chamber at the length of the short case and eventually cause hard extraction.
    I have seen this in some .22s, my first rifle, a 67 was given to me because of that problem.
    I had to carry a shortened ice pick to remove a long or long rifle case if I shot one.
    I would try to trade the shorts for long rifles or just sell the shorts, at the current market, you might do well that way.
    I have an NEF .223 that I feed the Lee .22 bator cast bullet with a bit of Herco, gets 1200-1300 fps and the cost is less than the current cost of .22 RF ammo.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

In Remembrance
    I have never heard that about shorts, and have fired a truck load of them in several 22's, still do when I can find them.

Boolit Grand Master

For the budget minded.

Autoloaders:
    Marlin Model 60
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 597

Bolt Actions:
    Ruger American
    Savage Mkii
    Marlin 981/980/925

Lever actions:
    Henry

For the 22 naysayers: A box of ammo can last a long time if only squirrel hunting. Its getting easier to find. Get ready for squirrel season.

Boolit Master
    Find a good used Marlin 60. Make sure the magazine tube isn't dented. Mount a cheapo Tasco.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

I would get a 22lr lever or pump or magazine fed bolt. You can feed them with what ever 22 rimfire you can find and they will eat them up!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by drinks View Post
    .22 shorts can damage a rifle's chamber, extended use WILL erode the chamber at the length of the short case and eventually cause hard extraction.
    I have seen this in some .22s, my first rifle, a 67 was given to me because of that problem.
    I had to carry a shortened ice pick to remove a long or long rifle case if I shot one.
    I would try to trade the shorts for long rifles or just sell the shorts, at the current market, you might do well that way.
    I have an NEF .223 that I feed the Lee .22 bator cast bullet with a bit of Herco, gets 1200-1300 fps and the cost is less than the current cost of .22 RF ammo.
    I don't know about that. I shot way too many shorts and longs through my 22lr Marlin 60 (old rifle) and never a hiccup. I think the shorts were the most accurate.
    Jerry

Vendor Sponsor

For new A Marlin 60 or Savage MKII-F either should be had for less than $200.00 and both will shoot very well.... and will shoot your shorts or LR
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    For new A Marlin 60 or Savage MKII-F either should be had for less than $200.00 and both will shoot very well.... and will shoot your shorts or LR
    I've looked at the savage mk2 my friend has had one less than a year and the ejector broke on it so I'm a little Leary of getting one

In Remembrance
    There is an H&R topper in the classifieds here right now, chambered in 30/30 and a 20 gauge barrel too for a measly 125 bucks. It would be hard to beat if a guy was looking for a 30 cal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indianadeerhunter2018 View Post
    I've looked at the savage mk2 my friend has had one less than a year and the ejector broke on it so I'm a little Leary of getting one
    I had one that did the same thing. Savage made it right! No need to judge the model on one incident.
    Jerry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I had one that did the same thing. Savage made it right! No need to judge the model on one incident.
    Jerry
    Technically I guess it's two now.

Boolit Master
    For your purposes- utility, economy, quality, accuracy- I'd seriously watch for something like a used Marlin M781. That was their standard bolt action 22 with tube magazine. I bought a used one in excellent condition for a friend about 4 years ago for $100.

I have never seen one that didn't shoot extremely well if the bore had been cared for. While in college, I won several offhand matches with a borrowed Marlin 781. I cleaned and sighted in the one I bought about 4 years ago. With standard CCI Blazers, it proved extremely accurate. Also, that series of Marlin 22s were designed to cycle and shoot S, L or LR ammo.

Bottom line is don't overlook the used market for 22s in your price range- no matter the manufacturer or model. Just pay attention to the details of condition and function when inspecting them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Technically I guess it's two now.
    Ouch! LOL
    I think the problem with mine was the extractor didn't have a smooth face. LGS took it apart and buffed it out. No trouble afterwards. Savage sent a new one just in case. I just chalked it up to a rifle built at 4:59pm on a Friday.
    Jerry

Boolit Man
    I have liked every Savage I have shot or owned (recent models) and I think the Savage 22 would be a great choice. The prices are reasonable and Savage is offering a rebate right now (only $25 but better than nothing).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by drinks View Post
    I don't agree on the erosion but I do agree it can cause problems. I have borescoped some 22 rifles used by various teams that had well over 100K through them. This was will LR ammo but no erosion in the throat. I did see erosion part way down the bore. It was always heavier on the bottom. I believe this to be from unburnt powder basically "blasting" it.

What I have seen for shorts in LR chambers is a buildup of carbon and wax (that if not removed) causing hard extraction with LR. On some of the old guns the carbon ring rusted underneath so (when removed) you had a rusted out area that also created extraction issue. In guns that had regular chamber cleanings I have never seen any form of damage from shorts in and LR chamber.

Boolit Bub
    You can't beat a good old bolt from a pawn shop or used at a gun shop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123