RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Help.....Failing miseraably.....!

Boolit Master

I have used lapping compound on patched loads that went into a scaley bore. Cleaned them up real good. Groups got smaller also.

I have used lapping compound on patched loads that went into a scaley bore.
    Hee hee. Whatever you do do not - repeat -not apply the compound to the patched boolit before seating in the case! Now why would I say that I wonder? Mmmm .... Yes I did do that once in a moment of brain not working. I created a brass jacketed bullet! Yes, it took the neck with it. No harm done other than to the case since it was not the most intense load but pressure was up there with normal full power loads.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Bub
    I decided to try and fire lap using the method described here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-patch-boolits

I shot 6 fire lapping rounds, thoroughly cleaning between each shot. It definitely polished out some pitting in the bore. I then shot @ 15 reduced loads of paper patched bullets without leading. Accuracy wasn't much to speak of but did start to improve. I then shot 3 full power rounds with some leading.

My question is should I continue to fire lap and follow with reduced paper patch or just continue with reduced paper patched loads?

Thanks,
    git_dr1

Boolit Master

Paper patch now, the paper will continue to polish.

I would suggest going with the reduced paper patched loads and gradually increasing the charge. As long as the patch is not failing in the bore it will be doing its job. You said accuracy was improving as you went - that's encouraging. You might try a set at an even lower velocity and see how they do. I have attempted to speed up the process by smearing Autosol on the patched boolits. I don't know if it really helped but I do know that it wetted the patch, making it fluffy so I gave up on that one. If you do decide to roll some dry compound into the patch (which I'd suggest), do so after seating in the case. I made the mistake of rolling grinding paste into a boolit before seating. The neck of that case is still on the boolit (which did exit the bore!) That's one of the dumb things I've done and survived unscathed. And the pressure wasn't that high either, luckily.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-02-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12